ktun

Your quality of life in America

Your quality of life in America  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is it better than what you left behind?

• Yes, much better
    • Somewhat better
    • About the same
    • Slightly worse
    • Significantly worse
  2. 2. If it is better, what makes it so?

• It is not better
    • It is cheaper to live here
    • More job opportunities
    • Standard of living is higher
    • Other - please specify

153 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Pennsylvania's liquor stores are ALL state stores, Ari...can't believe you didn't know that, living in Jersey. :P

That's interesting.. I've purchased alkie in the Pocono's before but never noticed that! Thx for the info.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You can't work for USPS till you're a citizen.

Are you sure?

I think LPRs (Green Card) can work for USPS.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I work for the federal government and can tell you this: most federal jobs allow you to be: (1) a citizen (2) a work-authorized foreigner from certain countries. (I don't know which, but I know Indonesian citizens can't work for the federal government—because I know someone from there whose citizenship didn't come through in time.) Some require you to be an LPR and some require US citizenship (and, IIRC, renunciation of foreign citizenship).

I don't know for sure which category the USPS falls into but I think it's one of the ones that allows LPRs from certain countries.

ABC stores are owned by the government. However, I think they're state-owned (not federal) and most state government jobs just require work authorization. It's only the feds that are stricter.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i'd say worse.

I don't have any friends here. You definetly have to drive here cuz nothing is close and the wages are pathetic. Minimum wage here is 5.50 per hr. I haven't worked for 5.50 an hr since I was 18!! I'm 44 now! Most office jobs pay 7.50 to 10 at the most. Thats a HUGE drop for me. And as soon as you say your from Canada you can forget about getting a job here.

We have government liquir stores but you can buy beer in the local shops , its just classified as weaker beer. Whatever that means. Being in whats considered a "Dry State" I'm suprised how much alcohol is available.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

WOW, so far pretty much everyone has a negative experience of moving here.

I too am having a hard time making friends/meeting people, and I absolutely dread seeking work once the EAD arrives (if it ever arrives). I want to work, but looking at some of the pay offered makes me kinda sick. It's pretty disgusting. Also I wont be able to do what I'm trained to do. I was a pre-school/kindergarten teacher back home and I wont be able to do that here without going through the American qualification system/college and certification and really cant afford that right now. So I guess I will be taking a low paid job as I'm not qualified to do anything else really.

Both my husband and myself would prefer to live in England, but financially, we just cant do it right now. Selling the house we have mortgage free here, probably wouldn't even be enough for a decent deposit over there.

Maybe things would be different if we lived near a big city like Chicago/NYC, but then the property prices are much higher there too, so again cost comes into it. We visited Chicago at Christmas and I did really like it, maybe if we save all our money for the next couple of years......?

Thanks for the replies people, it is interesting to read other people's experiences. Keep them coming

Kate

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: Timeline

Just as an outsider--isn't it all relative? My husband made 15-20 and hour in Italy, but he paid 6.50 for a gallon of gas and they had to turn off their water heater during the day to save on gas to heat it and really lived paycheck to paycheck in his parents basement. Now in the US he is making like 10 an hour, but he is in a much better situation because it costs less to live-we have a house, car, and are saving money... :huh: I have never heard him complain :no:

Lifting Conditions- Nebraska Service Center

3-22-2007: Sent out I-751

3-24-2007: Received at NSC

3-27-2007: Official USCIS received date

3-30-2007: Both checks cashed and case number received

4-05-2007: NOA1 received in mail with correct case number

4-05-2007: NOA1 case number works online

4-06-2007: Received Biometrics appointment notice

4-17-2007: Biometrics Appointment and TOUCHED :)

5-02-2007: Greencard expires

Dec 2007: Received extention until Dec 2008

5-09-2008: Card production ordered!! FINALLY!!!

Naturalization!!!!

Finally getting around to N-400... Filed under 5 years of PR status

5-11-2010: Sent out N-400 - Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

5-13-2010: Received at Lockbox

5-25-2010: Checks Cashed :)

5-28-2010: NOA received but case number doesn't work

6-04-2010: Case number works online and says RFE sent 6-2-10

6-07-2010: Received letter for biometrics

6-22-2010: Biometrics appointment

7-24-2010: Received interview letter

8-26-2010: Interview-PASSED!!

9-30-2010: Oath Ceremony Indianapolis

Well thats strange. I went into the ABC Beverage store and she told me it was govt owned.

I worked for the Provincal Govt Liquor Stores at home before I came here. I made really good money.

All the Liquor Stores in Nova Scotia are run by the Govt.

I think its good, if they didnt run it and they were private. You would only make 6.50 an hour.

Compared to starting off at 10.50 then up to 16 and hour. Plus if you were a shift manager I made 23 bucks an hour doing that job. So everyone at home wanted to work there :lol:

liquor stores in Utah are state owned too

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
I too am having a hard time making friends/meeting people, and I absolutely dread seeking work once the EAD arrives (if it ever arrives). I want to work, but looking at some of the pay offered makes me kinda sick. It's pretty disgusting. Also I wont be able to do what I'm trained to do. I was a pre-school/kindergarten teacher back home and I wont be able to do that here without going through the American qualification system/college and certification and really cant afford that right now. So I guess I will be taking a low paid job as I'm not qualified to do anything else really.

Both my husband and myself would prefer to live in England, but financially, we just cant do it right now. Selling the house we have mortgage free here, probably wouldn't even be enough for a decent deposit over there.

Maybe things would be different if we lived near a big city like Chicago/NYC, but then the property prices are much higher there too, so again cost comes into it. We visited Chicago at Christmas and I did really like it, maybe if we save all our money for the next couple of years......?

Thanks for the replies people, it is interesting to read other people's experiences. Keep them coming

Kate

Come to Chicago!!! :thumbs::yes:

My husband is a teacher (highschool math) here and he was able to obtain a temporary teacher's certificate until he could take 3 exams, but he didn't have to take any classes. After 6 months he had the official certificate, but he was able to get a pretty good paying job (good but not great) but I DO think with the official certificate he'll go up in wages with the next school year. I realize each state is different in requirements, but you may be able do the same thing he did. Yes, he made a bit more money in England, but as someone else said...he also paid $5 a gallon for gas and now since he rides public transportation everywhere, which he prefers, he pays quite a bit less for transportation.

As far as the rest of "quality of life", I'd like to think he's happy. He's made a pretty decent size circle of friends through one of his hobbies, and he just won't allow himself to be bored or unhappy....I guess that's his outlook. I'd make a guess that he'd say his quality of life is the same.

WOW, so far pretty much everyone has a negative experience of moving here.

Yeah, I always feel sad for people who seem so miserable once they get here. How can they be happy overall, when everything else is so dismal? :(

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I've become used to living here now, but I don't know will it ever feel like home. I come from a large family and really miss that in my life. My husband gets on great with my family too and also misses that element in our lives. We had a LOT of great friends back in Limerick, Cork, Clare, Galway, Donegal, Dublin etc and we feel that also is a negative to being here. The culture is very different here and we still long for the general 'craic" and way of life in Ireland. Of course, Ireland is not a bed of roses either, but you take the good with the bad.

Work wise, I haven't got my EAD yet, but I got my Teaching Degree transferred and was VERY happy with the evaluation results! I've gotten 2 offers based on my Fashion Degree, which I declined as I didn't want to go back to fashion design and that environment. I am insured on my husband's car with my International License and that has been such a plus.

The positives are that it's easier to have material "stuff" here, but we'd prefer to be physically closer to our friends and family. We are actually seriously considering a move back to Ireland in the near future for these reasons. The U.S. is a great country, and has lots of good things - they build roads REALLY fast here compared to Ireland!! and we could make our life here, but it's not what we want for our future. :)

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
Pennsylvania's liquor stores are ALL state stores, Ari...can't believe you didn't know that, living in Jersey. :P
:lol::yes: found that out in college...

for me, quality of life is better in america in terms of employment and educational opportunities. also, i can enjoy a certain amount of anonymity here that is not present in island life. at home, you're always known as someone's daughter/sister/wife/schoolmate/ex/cousin/arch-enemy. at times, opportunities are based on these relationships, which is frustrating to say the least.

quality of life is worse in america in terms of certain costs, like health care, car insurance, taxes (we have no income or sales tax... yet), pollution, traffic and things like credit scores.

i love my country, but i will be quite content with my life in america with the man i love. i already have some family in the states, as well as a good-sized circle of friends.

i am also nervous about working here and driving here, but i'm still (fairly) young and we have no kids, so i have time to adjust and settle into this new life of mine. :)

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm with Lily on the job situation although minimum wage here is $5.15 an hour. I have an interview with a state agency tomorrow afternoon and the wage is $7.41 an hour plus benefits. A state agency! Hey if they give it to me, I won't complain simply because I'm going stir crazy. The best I can ever hope to make for all of my experience and skills is $10 an hour. It's hard for me to get over that this is a major step backward from what I was making before. I had an interview to be a school attendance secretary for a local high school. I had done some school board work previously in Canada and thought that would be an asset for me. As soon as the assistant principal asked if I had any U.S. work experience or if all my work experience had been just in Canada, I knew I was done in. I'm still trying to figure out how office work differs between the U.S. and Canada. Seems like both countries use all the same software programs in their offices and I'm sure I know how to answer a phone in a professional manner here as I did back there.

No friends, everyone hibernates in my neighbourhood...lol.

Although the scenery here is beautiful and for the most part the people are friendly, state government is backwards in their way of thinking. I can't understand how one of the most important issues at hand is making amendments to the Constitution so that gays cannot marry. Ummm how about taking care of the homeless in the state, taking care of those that can't afford medical care? I could probably think of a dozen issues that are more important than making sure that gays don't marry.

I'm only here for my husband. He makes me very happy and then there is that hope that when he retires, we move back. :)

It's probably not a good day to reply to this for me. I am so lonely and my mother back home is very ill and I can't go home. I feel so lost and alone most of the time because I don't have a job (no EAD) and haven't made any friends so far. I was always a people person and had a job I loved with excellent pay ( actually I would have worked for almost nothing at that job if I had to, I liked it that much) I love my husband to pieces and couldn't imagine my life for a day without him but somehow I feel like I am in exile here. Sorry everyone, maybe I shouldn't have posted this but there are days when I think I am going to go crazy!! I don't like to air my problems but I guess I had to reach out somewhere.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
It's probably not a good day to reply to this for me. I am so lonely and my mother back home is very ill and I can't go home. I feel so lost and alone most of the time because I don't have a job (no EAD) and haven't made any friends so far. I was always a people person and had a job I loved with excellent pay ( actually I would have worked for almost nothing at that job if I had to, I liked it that much) I love my husband to pieces and couldn't imagine my life for a day without him but somehow I feel like I am in exile here. Sorry everyone, maybe I shouldn't have posted this but there are days when I think I am going to go crazy!! I don't like to air my problems but I guess I had to reach out somewhere.

First of all I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. I think if I didn't have my 15 year old son with me, I'd feel a lot worse. As you can see I'm an "older" person. Feel free to post or vent. I find at times it helps. I see there are several of us in the same boat. I hope things get better for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I chose slightly worse... I didn't have a job there but I did have a pension which was a guaranteed income but payable only in Australia. We have a lot of money hassles and stress which I didn't anticipate.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!