ktun

Your quality of life in America

Your quality of life in America  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is it better than what you left behind?

• Yes, much better
    • Somewhat better
    • About the same
    • Slightly worse
    • Significantly worse
  2. 2. If it is better, what makes it so?

• It is not better
    • It is cheaper to live here
    • More job opportunities
    • Standard of living is higher
    • Other - please specify

153 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

when I lived in the UK I was able to appreciate alot of things.

1.. round a bouts.

2.. Mr Wippy Ice cream with the flake in there.

3.. decent cider.

4. branstion pickle

5. Picked onions!

6.. PG tips

but, the good thing about being here is - I can go next door to the store. guess what there is a whole isle of british products!!!

it is not just about food though...

we have to give up our whole life and move to a completely different country, leaving everyone one we know behind.... that is a big adjustment to make

I had to give up my life and move to the UK. at the time I was only 21. I did not know nothing about nothing

I had to learn about the UK life. I moved to the UK did not know anyone there. my ex at the time was busy flying to other countries on missions.

yeah, and I am sure that was a big adjustment to make :yes:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

my husband is from Pakistan. I dont think he will have any problems adjusting here.

Shon, I don't doubt that for a second :)

I do. :yes: I dont care who you are or where you come from. When you move to another Country there is going to be things to adjust to. Whether its the food, the water, jobs, money, new in-laws, different languages, there is so many different things. If her man can do this with out saying one negative thing well all the more power to him.

I just dont think its possible to come here and not miss something from your home.

Noone on here is bashing the USA. There saying what they miss about home, there is a difference.

Some people just think they know it all. Negative people are everywhere.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

my husband is from Pakistan. I dont think he will have any problems adjusting here.

Shon, I don't doubt that for a second :)

I do. :yes: I dont care who you are or where you come from. When you move to another Country there is going to be things to adjust to. Whether its the food, the water, jobs, money, new in-laws, different languages, there is so many different things. If her man can do this with out saying one negative thing well all the more power to him.

I just dont think its possible to come here and not miss something from your home.

Noone on here is bashing the USA. There saying what they miss about home, there is a difference.

:thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I agree, and maybe Shon's husband will have to adjust more than she thinks...but what is also important is the outlook you have about changes that makes the difference in how good or bad a time you have of the adjustment period. Some people can have a rougher time of it, yet take things more in stride. For others it's harder... not right or wrong, just different.

Edited by Frances

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I make $7.40 an hour here for a stupid manufacturing job. I have to wait a year for my first review and then might be considered for a raise of, get this, 2%...David is a supervisor and doesn't even make $12 an hour. He was supposed to get his yearly raise and his "supervisor out of training" raise months ago. They cut our hours down to 32h a week and I don't qualify for unemployment benefits...
Minimum wage here is 5.50 per hr. I haven't worked for 5.50 an hr since I was 18!! I'm 44 now! Most office jobs pay 7.50 to 10 at the most. Thats a HUGE drop for me...
I'm with Lily on the job situation although minimum wage here is $5.15 an hour. I have an interview with a state agency tomorrow afternoon and the wage is $7.41 an hour plus benefits...The best I can ever hope to make for all of my experience and skills is $10 an hour. It's hard for me to get over that this is a major step backward from what I was making before.
In Germany, i had a good job, all my friends/family and my own money.

here I don't have my EAD, if I did, they don't accept my degree so I won't be able to work in my field...

My response to all these economic complaints about the US is twofold and it applies both to USCs and immigrants. The US is a land of opportunities. If you don't like your job or how much you are making, do something about it. Go to school part time, improve or change your skills, get experience, and make yourself more presentable to employers who will give you the job you enjoy and a wage you can live off. There is no excuse to complain about your situation. Don't expect the US government to force private employers to pay a "living wage" as they do in Western Europe, Canada, and Australia. We have capitalist and market economy. Go to jobs where the demand for workers is high and you will reap the benefits of our market economy. There is no social net to help people out, but there are plenty of opportunities to move up the economic ladder. All you have to do is find the desire and will power to make more of yourself.

Edited by Satellite

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
UK and CAN nationals think life is soo hard here!!!! instead of being thankful being able to live with your spouses, being able to make plans with your USA extended family. yall rather moan, groan and compair!!!

Please read my post, and you will see nothing of the sort. I never said life here was hard, it's DIFFERENT, and some of the differences are more easier to swallow than others. Stop reading into posts things you want to believe.

And Satellite, I am not sure if I want to shake you or not bother commenting on what you posted. Frankly, it's offensive to me to be told "All you have to do is find the desire and will power to make more of yourself." I worked my butt off to get my degree, to get my credentials, and my experience, and it's frustrating to no end to not even be considered for jobs because of where those credentials/experience/degree were earned, or have them not recognized for their full value. I do not expect to have everything handed to me on a silver platter, but I DO expect some equal consideration, which I haven't been getting. It's a legitimate complaint.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have also lived in other countries. It would be a fact to say that my standard of living was best in Japan. That doesn't mean that Japan is the best country I have ever lived in, merely just that I made a lot of money there.

Not picking on you personally...honestly...I'm not, cuz I think your attitude is positive. But another question I have for anyone who has it worse is...IF this thread was about quality of life, how does that equate economic standard of living? It seems one of the biggest problem is that people don't have enough or can't make enough money. Is that what quality of life is all about?

Just pondering.........

Money isn't everything but it sure helps... it has a big impact on quality of life - not having enough money in the US means worrying about how you'll pay the rent, coping with the ever-increasing gas prices and the ever-increasing prices in general because you happen to live in an area that has become popular with the rich and the poor are being shoved out into the cold. Worrying about what will happen if somebody gets sick because you can't afford health insurance and you're not eligible for public assistance as an immigrant. Worrying about what happens if your spouse gets laid off again and you don't have any financial reserves to fall back on. No money for vacations or eating out or outings or new clothes. Maybe no money for food at all some weeks. Worrying about how you'll cope until you're allowed to work, and then until you manage to find a job. Worrying about whether your casual/part-time/contract job will give you enough hours to pay the rent this month. Worrying about how to support an extra mouth should the female partner fall pregnant because you couldn't afford birth control. Worrying about what will happen when your rattletrap old car finally quits running.

We're not poor and my husband has a good job and no we don't have all those worries - just some of them - but it's not easy...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
My response to all these economic complaints about the US is twofold and it applies both to USCs and immigrants. The US is a land of opportunities. If you don't like your job or how much you are making, do something about it. Go to school part time, improve or change your skills, get experience, and make yourself more presentable to employers who will give you the job you enjoy and a wage you can live off. There is no excuse to complain about your situation. Don't expect the US government to force private employers to pay a "living wage" as they do in Western Europe, Canada, and Australia. We have capitalist and market economy. Go to jobs where the demand for workers is high and you will reap the benefits of our market economy. There is no social net to help people out, but there are plenty of opportunities to move up the economic ladder. All you have to do is find the desire and will power to make more of yourself.

Agree. :thumbs: Speaking from my own experience, I think the quality of life here and back home are the same. The US is a much more "advanced" and "sophisticated" country compare to my homeland, but I am also facing problems in finding the "perfect" job like the one I did back home. With my salary back home, I had relatively better standard of living at my home country: I lived in nice apartment with security guard, had maid, had company car, etc. But I love my hubby and we decided that I would move to US, so once I made that decision, I strive to go through it, never look back or make any comparisons.

For me, now I live in US, this is where my family lives, so this is where I belong. What I had before that is not relevant anymore right now. Now I have the man I love with me under the same roof, I have new friends and I enjoy all the adventures that lives bring to me. I can experience the "modern" USA, with all the fancy things they have here that we don't have back home. I still working to get the "perfect" job, but cannot complain to what my husband and I have together right now. :yes:

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I worked my butt off to get my degree, to get my credentials, and my experience, and it's frustrating to no end to not even be considered for jobs because of where those credentials/experience/degree were earned, or have them not recognized for their full value.
I understand and sympathize with you about this. But you shouldn't be offended by my comments about desire and will. You know you are not getting full consideration for you hard work, that is why it is going to require more desire and will to get American experience and maybe take a few more classes to get what employers require. To sit around and complain, even if it is a legitimate complaint isn't going to help bring money to the home.
Worrying about how to support an extra mouth should the female partner fall pregnant because you couldn't afford birth control.
Of all the things to worry about, this should not be an issue.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2/portal/

Planned Parenthood above will provide you with free birth control assuming you are indeed too poor to afford any. Take advantage of all the state services available to you. There are only a few limited federal funds under the the I-864 which you cannot use without placing a worry on your immigration sponsor(s).

Edited by Satellite

Money isn't everything but it sure helps... it has a big impact on quality of life - not having enough money in the US means worrying about how you'll pay the rent, coping with the ever-increasing gas prices and the ever-increasing prices in general because you happen to live in an area that has become popular with the rich and the poor are being shoved out into the cold. Worrying about what will happen if somebody gets sick because you can't afford health insurance and you're not eligible for public assistance as an immigrant. Worrying about what happens if your spouse gets laid off again and you don't have any financial reserves to fall back on. No money for vacations or eating out or outings or new clothes. Maybe no money for food at all some weeks. Worrying about how you'll cope until you're allowed to work, and then until you manage to find a job. Worrying about whether your casual/part-time/contract job will give you enough hours to pay the rent this month. Worrying about how to support an extra mouth should the female partner fall pregnant because you couldn't afford birth control. Worrying about what will happen when your rattletrap old car finally quits running.

We're not poor and my husband has a good job and no we don't have all those worries - just some of them - but it's not easy...

Try living off $400 a month and see what quality of life you have then!! Yes, money is very important to quality of life. I'm not talking about having 3 cars, a big house, eating out, new clothes. I'm talking about the very basics of survival in this country. If our old year old car stops running, we're in trouble. We live somewhere there is no public transport and my husband is having regular surgeries and phyisical therapy. Geez we had to say 'No' at the pharmacy the other day because a medication cost $70 and we just did not have the money for it. We had to make the decision, do we buy the med this week, or do we buy groceries and pay the heat bill?

I dont consider having to choose between necesities like that a good quality of life.

I would love to jump into the land of opportunity and get me a job, but ya know what? My EAD hasn't come yet, I CANT at this point in time make things better for us. I feel crippled by the medical expenses in this country, and this is with my husband having excellent insurance coverage. But when households only major breadwinner cannot work, life is very very hard, and very very depressing.

Money may not be the most important thing in the world when you have enough to live off, but when you're literally searching the bottom of your purse for coins it suddenly seems much more important.

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: Timeline

I agree, and maybe Shon's husband will have to adjust more than she thinks...but what is also important is the outlook you have about changes that makes the difference in how good or bad a time you have of the adjustment period. Some people can have a rougher time of it, yet take things more in stride. For others it's harder... not right or wrong, just different.

Not really. here is the Edge. My husband has full flight benifits because, I work for an airline

so if he wants to visit his family no problem!

shon.gif

Not really. here is the Edge. My husband has full flight benifits because, I work for an airline

Well, aren't you the lucky one then. Unfortunately, the majority of us don't have Full Flight Benefits.

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

And if he gets a job and can't get time off work? :unsure:

I can't believe how defensive you are! The fact is, the US does not have the highest standard of living in the world. And people miss their families, friends, and even things like public transportation, recycling programs, and the climate of their home countries. What's wrong with admitting that?? :huh:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I make $7.40 an hour here for a stupid manufacturing job. I have to wait a year for my first review and then might be considered for a raise of, get this, 2%...David is a supervisor and doesn't even make $12 an hour. He was supposed to get his yearly raise and his "supervisor out of training" raise months ago. They cut our hours down to 32h a week and I don't qualify for unemployment benefits...
Minimum wage here is 5.50 per hr. I haven't worked for 5.50 an hr since I was 18!! I'm 44 now! Most office jobs pay 7.50 to 10 at the most. Thats a HUGE drop for me...
I'm with Lily on the job situation although minimum wage here is $5.15 an hour. I have an interview with a state agency tomorrow afternoon and the wage is $7.41 an hour plus benefits...The best I can ever hope to make for all of my experience and skills is $10 an hour. It's hard for me to get over that this is a major step backward from what I was making before.
In Germany, i had a good job, all my friends/family and my own money.

here I don't have my EAD, if I did, they don't accept my degree so I won't be able to work in my field...

I have 3 Degrees I don't need to go back to school . I am more then qualified to work here in some low paying dumbass job.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

I am not even going to post about the ongoing battle on this thread because I would probably say something really mean.

My fiance isn't here yet but he does have some adjusting. The major thing for him is dealing with our health care here. He knows how much I pay for myself and my girls and he is floored everytime. However, there are pros and cons to that situation too.

He has a job waiting for him when he gets here. His profession is very much in demand here (truck driver).

He too will be leaving all his friends but with many moves he has had over the past couple of years in Canada, he has already been distanced from them.

He isn't very close with his family so that really won't be an issue.

As far as the small town syndrome, I live in a town of about 19,000 people. When he first visited me he was quite surprised I was in an apartment complex in a corn field. You can't go across the street to the 7-11. :P He too is used to the city life but likes where we will reside.

I remember just moving between states. It is very different just moving from state to state not alone country to country.

I commend everybody who is willing to give up virtually everything to immigrate here. :thumbs:

Okay, I will get off my soap box!

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered