ktun

Your quality of life in America

Your quality of life in America  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is it better than what you left behind?

• Yes, much better
    • Somewhat better
    • About the same
    • Slightly worse
    • Significantly worse
  2. 2. If it is better, what makes it so?

• It is not better
    • It is cheaper to live here
    • More job opportunities
    • Standard of living is higher
    • Other - please specify

153 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm no longer allowed to leave my boxers lying on the floor :(

dang, I bow down to your wife....how did she train you to get them the freak off the floor????????? What's her email address??????????????????????

hahaha. Instead of leaving them lying around the floor, she lets me pile all my clothes up in a laundry basket. Not quite up to her standards, but given the fact that I refuse to fold them up and put them in the drawer like she wants me to, that's our compromise :)

You as the USC get to keep your lifestyle and normal way of life with the added bonus of having your SO with you....

Not quite. I'm no longer allowed to pee on the bathroom wall. I'm no longer allowed to get Chinese delivery every other day. I'm no longer allowed to leave my boxers lying on the floor :(

but now you have a nice clean place to live in and probably yummy homemade food :whistle:

Yeah but I sorta miss my sweet and sour chicken....

I'm still waiting for my whupass by the way.

:P

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
I have also lived in other countries. It would be a fact to say that my standard of living was best in Japan. That doesn't mean that Japan is the best country I have ever lived in, merely just that I made a lot of money there.

Not picking on you personally...honestly...I'm not, cuz I think your attitude is positive. But another question I have for anyone who has it worse is...IF this thread was about quality of life, how does that equate economic standard of living? It seems one of the biggest problem is that people don't have enough or can't make enough money. Is that what quality of life is all about?

Just pondering.........

Edited by Frances

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

I have also lived in other countries. It would be a fact to say that my standard of living was best in Japan. That doesn't mean that Japan is the best country I have ever lived in, merely just that I made a lot of money there.

Not picking on you personally...honestly...I'm not, cuz I think your attitude is positive. But another question I have for anyone who has it worse is...IF this thread was about quality of life, how does that equate economic standard of living? It seems one of the biggest problem is that people don't have enough or can't make enough money. Is that what quality of life is all about?

In my opinion, lack of adequate money contributes to being unhappy. The presence of adequate money eliminates the lack of it as one possible cause of being unhappy; it does not in and of itself make you happy.

And yes, I realize how problematic the phrase "adequate money" is. Some people don't think any amount is adequate. They can't be helped :P

Timeline
hahaha. Instead of leaving them lying around the floor, she lets me pile all my clothes up in a laundry basket. Not quite up to her standards, but given the fact that I refuse to fold them up and put them in the drawer like she wants me to, that's our compromise :)

I tried putting a luandry basket out...he misses by about 4 feet... :blink::angry::lol:

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

when I lived in the UK I was able to appreciate alot of things.

1.. round a bouts.

2.. Mr Wippy Ice cream with the flake in there.

3.. decent cider.

4. branstion pickle

5. Picked onions!

6.. PG tips

but, the good thing about being here is - I can go next door to the store. guess what there is a whole isle of british products!!!

shon.gif

I tried putting a luandry basket out...he misses by about 4 feet... :blink::angry::lol:

My wife doesn't react too well when I miss it. And I'm your classic beta-male, I hate conflict and avoid it at all costs. So I just do as told :P

Timeline

In my opinion, lack of adequate money contributes to being unhappy. The presence of adequate money eliminates the lack of it as one possible cause of being unhappy; it does not in and of itself make you happy.

And yes, I realize how problematic the phrase "adequate money" is. Some people don't think any amount is adequate. They can't be helped :P

Like I said...just pondering...what should make up a good quality of life...

AND I'M NOT SAYING THERE IS ANY RIGHT ANSWER!!!

My wife doesn't react too well when I miss it. And I'm your classic beta-male, I hate conflict and avoid it at all costs. So I just do as told :P

:lol::lol::lol: Neither do I...and I feel my quality of life in this area has gone down...I'm getting back problems from constantly picking up his stuff...bwahahaha...he just ignores my rants...he's not an alpha or beta-male... :blink:

Edited by Frances

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just using the standard of living thing as an example because that seems to be one of the biggest things that CAN/UK ex-pats complain about. There's lots more that contributes to overall quality of life though, and hey - I love the quality of mine :D because I get to live with my husband!

AOS

August 30, 2005 - AOS, , AP applications mailed to Chicago Lockbox

September 9, 2005 - NOA's for AOS, AP, (dated Sept. 1)

November 28, 2005 - AOS biometrics - refused EAD biometrics at the same time

December 5, 2005 - AP approved

December 7, 2005 - Infopass appointment for interim EAD

December 12, 2005 - Received EAD card

December 13, 2005 - Received AP

June 14, 2005 - Case Status Inquiry/Tracer

June 19, 2005 - Letter sent to congressman

AOS INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 8, 2006

AOS approved - August 8th, 2006 - hooray - done with USCIS for now!

GREENCARD RECEIVED - August 18, 2006

Like I said...just pondering...what should make up a good quality of life...

The wife and I discuss that all the time. I think we have a good quality life. We have a home, a car, furniture, well paying jobs, no diseases, all four parents and all our siblings are alive and healthy, enough cash in the bank to let us last about a year without employment. I call that a good life but she disagrees. She's just one of those people who feels you can never accept what you have as "good" because that will kill your drive to do better. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

1.. round a bouts.

3.. decent cider.

4. branstion pickle

5. Picked onions!

6.. PG tips

but, the good thing about being here is - I can go next door to the store. guess what there is a whole isle of british products!!!

it is not just about food though...

we have to give up our whole life and move to a completely different country, leaving everyone one we know behind.... that is a big adjustment to make

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Meh, you were warned about my rant post. That's what I felt like saying at the time and I said it. That's all there is to it. Noone forced you to read it, I even put it in a teeny weeny font size. :P Any other day I would have added positives to that post but that's how I felt at the time. Big effin deal.

Anyway, I guess the landlady decided to sell the building we live in and David went to the doctor this morning to get a lump checked out. Ergh, why do I bother.

Timeline
I was just using the standard of living thing as an example because that seems to be one of the biggest things that CAN/UK ex-pats complain about. There's lots more that contributes to overall quality of life though, and hey - I love the quality of mine :D because I get to live with my husband!

Gotcha!

:D Canadalaura & Mr. Canadalaura RAWK! I hope your hubster gets transferred at some point closer to a big city for you city-girl!

Meh, you were warned about my rant post. That's what I felt like saying at the time and I said it. That's all there is to it.

(((((Swirly-girl))))) (F)

Edited by Frances

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Gotcha!

:D Canadalaura & Mr. Canadalaura RAWK! I hope your hubster gets transferred at some point closer to a big city for you city-girl!

We're outta here in a year - and moving to Boston (we can't wait!) Oooh... I get excited just typing it. I LOVE Boston!

AOS

August 30, 2005 - AOS, , AP applications mailed to Chicago Lockbox

September 9, 2005 - NOA's for AOS, AP, (dated Sept. 1)

November 28, 2005 - AOS biometrics - refused EAD biometrics at the same time

December 5, 2005 - AP approved

December 7, 2005 - Infopass appointment for interim EAD

December 12, 2005 - Received EAD card

December 13, 2005 - Received AP

June 14, 2005 - Case Status Inquiry/Tracer

June 19, 2005 - Letter sent to congressman

AOS INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 8, 2006

AOS approved - August 8th, 2006 - hooray - done with USCIS for now!

GREENCARD RECEIVED - August 18, 2006

Timeline
We're outta here in a year - and moving to Boston (we can't wait!) Oooh... I get excited just typing it. I LOVE Boston!

Excellent! Boston's cool! :D

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

1.. round a bouts.

3.. decent cider.

4. branstion pickle

5. Picked onions!

6.. PG tips

it is not just about food though...

we have to give up our whole life and move to a completely different country, leaving everyone one we know behind.... that is a big adjustment to make

I had to give up my life and move to the UK. at the time I was only 21. I did not know nothing about nothing

I had to learn about the UK life. I moved to the UK did not know anyone there. my ex at the time was busy flying to other countries on missions.

shon.gif