ktun

Your quality of life in America

Your quality of life in America  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is it better than what you left behind?

• Yes, much better
    • Somewhat better
    • About the same
    • Slightly worse
    • Significantly worse
  2. 2. If it is better, what makes it so?

• It is not better
    • It is cheaper to live here
    • More job opportunities
    • Standard of living is higher
    • Other - please specify

153 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

these kind of threads really work my nerves. why move here in the first place? I thought the reason you immigrated was to be reunited with your family member. so why compair your country with ours? I lived in the UK it was the same for- it was HARD making friends. I had to adjust to the way of life there. I made the best of my 10 years there and stopped the belly aching.

shon.gif

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
these kind of threads really work my nerves. why move here in the first place? I thought the reason you immigrated was to be reunited with your family member. so why compair your country with ours? I lived in the UK it was the same for- it was HARD making friends. I had to adjust to the way of life there. I made the best of my 10 years there and stopped the belly aching.

Why read the thread then? Ignore them if they bother you.

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree. Dont read if its going to get your blood boiling.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Why move here??? I had No choice! My man couldn't possibly move to my country. He couldn't get leave from the military for a freakin visit , let alone move!

Believe me, if we had the choice , it wouldn't be here.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

its always the UK and CAN nationals talking ####### about OUR country.

so why come here. I love the USA- its my home! apprently its ssoo tough adjusting. this is a USA immigration board. DUH

you all come on here and talk about america is soooo bad,

the pay here is sooo bad. the quality of life UFFFFF

is sooo bad. so why come if you think our country is sooo bad?

shon.gif

You ask why they come here.

Don't you know?

They came here for love, not the standard of living, or minimum wage.

Love...

Yeah, really. I asked Gareth this question. He said, "Am I supposed to include or ignore the fact that my wife who I love is here?" I told him I thought he should ignore it and he said. "Oh, I guess slightly worse, then. But it all depends on what you value."

He doesn't like that it's such a car culture (though we did manage to find an apartment with a grocery store, Walgreen's, and a bunch of other stuff across the street) and he's having trouble making friends—we just moved cross-country so we're both starting over that way, but my church has a big, active young adults group and his doesn't have anyone his age.

That said, I'd seen his apartment in Britain (it was a student flat he shared with two other guys, even though he was the youngest and he'd finished uni three years before), and I'd have to say our standard of living is better than that! :lol:

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Obviously. For them, a move to the US doesn't represent the leap in lifestyle it does for an immigrant from India or Nigeria. When you immigrate, there is a social dislocation and a cultural change; if you come from a country that has a standard of living comparable to that of the US, those effects are magnified since there is no increase in standard of living to offset it.

That said, I agree. Canadian and European immigrants on VJ do b!tch the most. Can't say I blame 'em though. The ones I feel especially bad for are the ones who came from a big city in Canada/Europe and ended up in the American boonies.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

One of these days Shon, you'll realize that we aren't talking ####### about your country, we're talking about differences, some of which are important to us. The US doesn't have the lock on the best of everything in the world, some countries do some things better, and that's not a bad thing, it's just reality. For example, Hershey's does not = good chocolate. ;) And I am sorry, I miss Tim Horton's English Toffee Cappucinos!

With that being said, there are some things that I miss tremendously because they added to my definition of "quality of life", but they are balanced out by the quality my Okie husband brings to my life. :)

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

so why come here. I love the USA- its my home! apprently its ssoo tough adjusting. this is a USA immigration board. DUH

You dont seem to be able to comprehend what we are talking about. I dont think America is so awful and bad generally at all. There are many positives and many beautiful places. You love your country, that's great.....as you said it's your home. Well ya know what?! The U.K. is MY home, more specifically London, and I love it as much as you love America. You seem to think it wrong to feel that. You said you lived in the UK, yet I doubt you ever loved it or thought of it as home. It is the same for many of us here, whether we're Brits, Canadians, etc. You know, you might even find when you're loved one arrives that he does not instantly love everything about American either.

As Cassie has said, we're talking about differences and to be honest for those of us from Western Europe, Canada, Australia etc who do not gain significant economic advantages by moving here, and in some cases lose some advantages, it is going to be harder. I gave up a job I LOVED, a very nice home, my friends and entire family some of whom (grandparents) I may never see again and many other things to come here. The difference between my life in London and my life here now in Southwest Iowa can not be more different. The highlight around here for many is a weekly trip to Walmart, there is very little to do and I really struggle to find something in common with people whose life and livelihoods often revolve around agriculture. I have nothing against this area in itself, it is very beautiful in the rural parts and there are some very nice people, but it is a major adjustment to make. Perhaps, as I've said before, if we lived near a big city then it would be different. Perhaps if I had moved from London to rural England, I'd feel some of the same dislocation, but being without friends and family here the experience is intensified 10 fold.

Why did I choose to come here? As others have said, it was not really a choice. It was move here or be without my husband. He is currently unable to move to the UK for ongoing medical reasons.

I'm not talking ####### about America, I'm talking about my experiences and feelings......there is a vast difference.

PS// Cassie, completely agree with you, I cant do Hersheys either!!

Edited by ktun

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Who said we were talking ####### about your country!!? Geez grow up!

We were merely discussing the vast differences even though Canada is part of North America it IS different. Just becuz we come from Canada or the UK does not make it any easier for us to leave our old lives behind.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Timeline

Shons man needs to get here is what I think. :yes:

I hope she dont think its going to be a bowl of roses for him once he gets here.

He's coming from a Country that is totally different then the US.

Good luck to him with his adjusting :thumbs:

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

I hope she dont think its going to be a bowl of roses for him once he gets here.

In general, Indian/Pakistani men don't have the adjustment troubles that so many European men on this site seem to.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In general, Indian/Pakistani men don't have the adjustment troubles that so many European men on this site seem to.

Let's hope that's the case - it doesn't seem like his wife will be too sympathetic, anyways...

For the record, I'd say my standard of living is about the same - I make less money, but things are genrally cheaper and having two incomes in one household is nice, too! And hey, I won't always be making less mney - I hope - but you have to start somewhere :D

AOS

August 30, 2005 - AOS, , AP applications mailed to Chicago Lockbox

September 9, 2005 - NOA's for AOS, AP, (dated Sept. 1)

November 28, 2005 - AOS biometrics - refused EAD biometrics at the same time

December 5, 2005 - AP approved

December 7, 2005 - Infopass appointment for interim EAD

December 12, 2005 - Received EAD card

December 13, 2005 - Received AP

June 14, 2005 - Case Status Inquiry/Tracer

June 19, 2005 - Letter sent to congressman

AOS INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 8, 2006

AOS approved - August 8th, 2006 - hooray - done with USCIS for now!

GREENCARD RECEIVED - August 18, 2006