HappyTogether11

Proof of dating site

27 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

Do NOT schedule your tickets before visa in hand. Unless you are prepared to be out the money from the tickets. MANY people here have written about that mistake. 

You can use the guides here without rapid visa. They can be pricy and unless you have special circumstances you can do everything on your own. 

@HappyTogether11 just in case.

K-1 guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

K-1 flowchart: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

K-1 tips: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1tips

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

36 minutes ago, Ryan ChiaLien said:

My wife and I met on a dating site.  You do not need to send any information about the dating site.   In your description of how you met on the I-129 form just state you met on a dating site and state which one.  That's all we did for our application and we did not get an RFE for it.  What seems to trip more people up here is the proof that you met in person.  For a K1 the required proof is that you met at least once in person in the last 2 years.  

You can look at the timeline information here to judge how long it will take to get your K1 based on the date you mail in your I129F.    http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/monthly_filers.php?cfl=   This page is good for knowing about when you'll get your NOA2.  From there expect another 3-4 weeks to be able to schedule your interview at the Embassy and another 3-4 weeks after that to actually have your interview and then you can travel to the US.

You got lucky...many adjudicators are issuing RFEs for not providing that information (even with well known sites) quite often now. I got one myself on Friday. The RFE stated that they know know met via OKC (from my I-129F answer) and that I claim it's not an IMB, but they need proof.

The I-129F is currently taking, on average 90+ days, and they are primarily processing mid-December cases right now (check the data in my signature). RFEs are adding about 2-3 weeks to the process. After NOA2, give it about a month to go through NVC and arrive at the embassy. Then how long it takes is embassy-specific...some can be scheduled in weeks while others could take months.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

That's all good. Which county are you in? I've got a question about marriage certificate since you are from ATL. 

I am in Atlanta now, fire away.

2 minutes ago, HappyTogether11 said:

I am in Atlanta now, fire away.

I dropped you a message since it's off topic :) Thanks in advance.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

So... if im understanding this right, because i meet my fiance in a date app, i can actually do the same process to proof that we are still dating and that our relationship it is real?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How about a situation like ours, where we met on an online forum (not a dating site) in 2009 and established a (initially platonic) friendship that eventually organically developed into a long distance dating relationship over time. We didn't "officially" start dating until August 2014 when I traveled to meet her in person for the first time (we've since had several in-person meetings). In my statement of how we met I just said "we met online," never specifying where.

Is it possible they might request proof that the site is not an IMB? Or since I did not use the words "dating site" it would be okay. What do people do when (non dating) sites shut down and disappear between the time people meet and then decide to get married and they get asked for that kind of proof? (Fortunately in our case they still exist and I can get a statement if necessary, but others will not be so lucky... internet forums come and go all the time).

33 minutes ago, skaratso said:

How about a situation like ours, where we met on an online forum (not a dating site) in 2009 and established a (initially platonic) friendship that eventually organically developed into a long distance dating relationship over time. We didn't "officially" start dating until August 2014 when I traveled to meet her in person for the first time (we've since had several in-person meetings). In my statement of how we met I just said "we met online," never specifying where.

Is it possible they might request proof that the site is not an IMB? Or since I did not use the words "dating site" it would be okay. What do people do when (non dating) sites shut down and disappear between the time people meet and then decide to get married and they get asked for that kind of proof? (Fortunately in our case they still exist and I can get a statement if necessary, but others will not be so lucky... internet forums come and go all the time).

The question is how you first met, not how you started dating. So the forum would still be how you met.

Is it possible they will send an RFE? Sure. It all comes down to if the adjudicator is satisfied that the IMBRA requirements are met or not. I don't think the existence (or lack thereof) of the words "dating site" is substantial in that context. Otherwise, people who did actually use an online IMB could just say "we met online" and bypass the personal information consent form/disclosure...making the purpose of asking the question moot. The IMBRA requirements are not specifically for dating sites (that is just the most common medium used that I know of nowadays). As for the question of what to do when the site is no longer available, you would need to provide other forms of evidence that the IMBRA requirements are met - screenshots, affidavits, or possibly even references describing the site in a way that indicates it was not an IMB.

Edit; To clarify, that does not mean you will get an RFE. It's up to the adjudicator to make the determination, and while one may want additional proof, others may not.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

So.....

I met my fiance on a dating website also. What constitutes "proof" that it is just a dating website....can it be the "terms of use" or does it have to be an email from the site? Thank you.

2 minutes ago, janet3 said:

So.....

I met my fiance on a dating website also. What constitutes "proof" that it is just a dating website....can it be the "terms of use" or does it have to be an email from the site? Thank you.

Terms of Use is generally acceptable. I personally also contacted support and had them confirm they are a free dating site and not an IMB, then printed the conversation. Others have used screenshots of their first contact/messages as well (to show that they contacted each other organically, and it wasn't an introduction via an IMB). An affidavit describing the site has been used by others, albeit I'd personally consider that secondary evidence.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thank you geowrian. I will follow up with the website. Since I just received the NOA1 recently  (at the beginning of February) is there any way to be proactive regarding information they may require....or do we wait until notified of information they may need? Thank you for your insight. 

36 minutes ago, janet3 said:

Thank you geowrian. I will follow up with the website. Since I just received the NOA1 recently  (at the beginning of February) is there any way to be proactive regarding information they may require....or do we wait until notified of information they may need? Thank you for your insight. 

No problem. Unfortunately, there is no way to send additional documentation after the I-129F until you get an RFE. I called a couple reps and tried myself. But you can be proactive by gathering the evidence needed beforehand and having it ready to go. That's what I did....my RFE came in late Friday and the response was sent back on Monday. Hopefully you won't even need it, but having it ready in case you do get an RFE is probably for the best IMO.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.