bcking

British citizen denied entry into the USA

81 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2017 at 5:05 PM, Bill & Katya said:

Not disparaging your story, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.  You were crossing overland at the Detroit/Windsor tunnel?  Why did entry denial have anything to do with airline tickets?  Maybe there is some additional context.

As to the discussion, I agree that when entering at any port of entry, the person is at the mercy of the CBP officers.  There are several stories all throughout VJ and other immigration sites telling pretty much the same story.  Person attempting to enter the US on a temporary visa (B1, VWP, etc.) CBP officer not believing they have enough proof of strong ties that would ensure their lawful return, and being denied entry.  My now wife was denied a B1 twice because single Russian women are/were not considered truthful with their proof of strong ties, and they only have one thing in mind, coming to the US, getting married, and staying.  At the time she had a strong job, much family, and a home she owned.  We did not have airline tickets yet, but she was denied at the consulate both times.  A little better than getting a visa and being denied entry at a POE, but still left her frustrated and depressed as to what she could have added to get a visa.

There is no major airport in Canada near Windsor, Ont. Closest major airport is 4 hours away in Toronto. I flew into Detroit and crossed the border at the Detroit Tunnel to spend a week with my wife and meet her Mom and sisters. We were then going to cross back into Detroit and fly back to Boston from there, that's when she was denied entry.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Teddy B said:

There is no major airport in Canada near Windsor, Ont. Closest major airport is 4 hours away in Toronto. I flew into Detroit and crossed the border at the Detroit Tunnel to spend a week with my wife and meet her Mom and sisters. We were then going to cross back into Detroit and fly back to Boston from there, that's when she was denied entry.

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the clarification.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the clarification.

That Detroit/Windsor Tunnel crossing is a tough one based on our experiences there. They are very strict there. They must get a lot of riff raff crossing from Detroit. I'm glad we usually drive to Windsor from Boston and we cross at the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge in upstate NY, it is a bit more pleasant there at least.

48 minutes ago, Teddy B said:

That Detroit/Windsor Tunnel crossing is a tough one based on our experiences there. They are very strict there. They must get a lot of riff raff crossing from Detroit. I'm glad we usually drive to Windsor from Boston and we cross at the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge in upstate NY, it is a bit more pleasant there at least.

So there are a lot of rif raff in Detroit huh ?  Not so much in upstate NY?   

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Yup

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

That would be correct. The worst riff raff you're going to encounter in upstate NY is a run away cow.

Edited by Teddy B