ziggyzaazaa

During the Interview, (Proof of Income) When and how is it reviewed?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello, i am hoping to get answers from anyone who has actually been through the interview process and may know the answer to my question. So, we have our interview scheduled in Lagos, Nigeria next month, and my fiancee has everything he needs to be prepared. I wanted to ask specifically how they approve the affidavit and income sources of the USC petitioner, which is me since I am under the assumption that I was supposed to just mail everything to my fiancee in Lagos. When do they go through the approval process for the financial stuff? Does the officer at the interview actually review the income there in front of the beneficiary and make a decision based on what hard copies he has with him, or is the income documentation sent off to another place for formal approval. To me it just seems strange to send over all the income bank stuff and documentation and not have a finance person per say review it versus an officer.  Anyone know? 

Thanks!

Erinmi (L) Ayomi

Alaska & Nigeria

(Laugh) + (Joy)

Amsterdam looked at the tax returns and called it good. But they are not known as a "hard" embassy. Nor is Holland known as a "high risk" country.

You may find more info in the embassy review section

Edited by Fr8dog

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as I know, the officer reviews the documentation. It is not hard to determine if you qualify are not. They look at the numbers. Your tax transcript says exactly how much you brought home last year. There is no need for a finance person.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

The officer reviews it during the interview. Not sure about Lagos, but at most consulates the officer will only look at the most recent year's tax return (including the number of dependents you have claimed). If you're trying to meet the income guidelines through savings, real estate holdings etc., write a letter explaining how your assets meet the guidelines. ConOffs are not accountants (nor are they immigration law experts). 

12 minutes ago, ziggyzaazaa said:

Hello, i am hoping to get answers from anyone who has actually been through the interview process and may know the answer to my question. So, we have our interview scheduled in Lagos, Nigeria next month, and my fiancee has everything he needs to be prepared. I wanted to ask specifically how they approve the affidavit and income sources of the USC petitioner, which is me since I am under the assumption that I was supposed to just mail everything to my fiancee in Lagos. When do they go through the approval process for the financial stuff? Does the officer at the interview actually review the income there in front of the beneficiary and make a decision based on what hard copies he has with him, or is the income documentation sent off to another place for formal approval. To me it just seems strange to send over all the income bank stuff and documentation and not have a finance person per say review it versus an officer.  Anyone know? 

Thanks!

It's all done right then and there in front of the beneficiary.

Basically they will look at it, and decide if it's good enough.

They can use their own discretion based on the proof that they get. Example: I was unemployed when my husband did his fiance visa, this was for Canada, a traditionally low fraud embassy. I used my mom as a cosponsor and she made more than what was needed for the poverty lines (She needed to make like 22k, she made about 27k, with paystubs, W2/Tax return and working at the same place for years). The CO was worried about me being unemployed, even though the we met the technical requirements. That worry was enough for them to ask us to get ANOTHER cosponsor. If there's any question or worry about the financial info, they can ask for more.

Note, you are at a VERY tough embassy, so you'll want to make sure that the financial proof is more than enough. 

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

Tax transcript remains the best proof of income. They look at the last line which shows total income for the year and they make their decision based on that.  They don't look at Bank statement or any other documents. It is much easier for them verifying through the tax transcript.  

And yes they will review it right in front of your fiancee.  It's a very fast process .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Lagos CO's review right there. Why would a finance person need to review anything. It's a simple meeting the guidelines or not. For Lagos I can tell you Current income and most current income tax return must meet or exceed guidelines.

If for some reason they need more, like some send Tax forms (Lagos like Tax Transcripts) they will just put you in AP and request what they want whether it be more documentation or you need a joint sponsor.

You know one way or another if you are approved, denied, or in AP before leaving the embassy.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline
17 hours ago, ziggyzaazaa said:

Thanks!

it suppose as an American citizen you don't lie to US government therefore everything you present, your documents, your statement, all you are saying should be the total truth. Marriage visa takes longer because they verify more but fiance visa doesn't need the verification, you will do the marriage and the green card, there it will be another affidavit of support, so you need to have all in order for then

Tasha

Timeline
On 2/8/2017 at 8:20 PM, ziggyzaazaa said:

Thanks!

They review it right there on the spot,. Send your employment letter, the latest tax papers and your pay-stubs. The figures shall determine if you qualify(above the poverty guideline) or not. 

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Have I missed something in the instructions for the I-134 Affidavit of support? I dont see where it says anything about sending in your taxes or is that something extra people are sending in with it? 

Timeline
5 hours ago, YsabelEric said:

Have I missed something in the instructions for the I-134 Affidavit of support? I dont see where it says anything about sending in your taxes or is that something extra people are sending in with it? 

You might want to read this link very carefully http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

They review it right there and you don't need to be a finance person to read tax transcripts or letter from work indicating how much money you are making a year :D I sent my tax transcripts + bank statements + official letter from my employer indicating how long I have worked there and how much is my yearly compensation. It was probably too much but I didn't want to take any chance :) Keep in mind that the person who will be interviewing your fiancee is a US citizen and knows exactly what to look for in the documents you provided.  Good luck :thumbs:

event.png

K1 from Armenia
I-129F Sent : 2013-01-16
I-129F NOA1 : 2013-01-24
I-129F NOA2 : 2013-05-21

NVC Pkg. Rcv. : 2013-06-03

Interview : 2013-07-16 (APPROVED)

US Entry : 2013-10-05

Got Married : 2013-10-15

Timeline
On Thursday, February 09, 2017 at 2:20 AM, ziggyzaazaa said:

Thanks!

I did my interview on the 9th of Feb. Before you interview some Nigerians at the same immigrant stand will check everything you have before they will pass it to the CO, they will review it. I saw everything wrh my own eyes. My advice for anyone going for interview for immigrant visa is to make sure everything that asked for is complete.  The questions they will ask individual is different. Any before you got there, they've already concluded. Cos all the document from uscis is with them. Just make sure the additional document is ready. The interview is like abc. Easy

6 hours ago, YsabelEric said:

The instructions for the I-134 versus what they ACTUALLY want are very different. Since it's a non-immigrant visa technically, they use the I-134 form instead of the I-864 form. The I-134 instructions say you only need tax returns if you're self employed, but since K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa with immigrant intent, they lean towards the rules for the I-864, which is tax returns and proof of current income. They want to make sure if you're coming into the country to immigrate, that you can pretty much meet the criteria of the I-864, which is something you ideally would do within 90-100 days of coming in on the K-1.

You may want to check with your countries info, but overall the most commonly wanted/accepted forms of proof are:

Official Tax Transcript
OR
Tax Return + W2 Combo

Paystubs from current job
Employer letter

and then you can add on additional statements from the banks stating how long the account has been opened, how much has been depositeded, etc.

If you are using assets, then you would provide a copy of your bank statement where ever those assets are, or an official note from an appraiser if it's a house or car you want to use as an asset.

But, overall, if you don't send the taxes, they can either decline the sponsor right then and there, ask for a cosponsor, or be kind enough to let you provide the information and hold you case in AP until they receive it.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.