Jacque67

The silencing of Warren and an old Senate rule prompted by fistfight

54 posts in this topic

While it doesn't seem to be expressly mentioned in the "Rule 19" that was invoked, I would argue she was not talking about Jeff Sessions, "The Senator", but Jeff Sessions, "The Nominee for Attorney General".

Senators are often nominated for cabinet positions. The senate needs to be able to be critical of the nominations, otherwise what is the point of a confirmation process? If they can't criticize a nominee just because they are also a sitting senator at the time, it defeats the whole purpose of the process.

EDIT: If anyone wants to see some fun insults, you should watch video clips of Parliament in the UK. They talk back and forth about each other all the time, which is all the more fun to listen to because most of them have very posh sounding English accents. After insults you often times also hear a loud "murmur" from other people. I just imagine all of them thinking "Oh no he didn't!"

Edited by bcking

1 minute ago, smilesammich said:

I'm a little confused. 

So they "censured" Warren, but then let him speak? Why wouldn't they just do the same thing to him and anyone else? Wasn't their complaint that the letter she was reading had "impugned" a fellow senator? Why does it matter who reads it?

(My browser gives me an error loading the link, something about flash)

13 minutes ago, bcking said:

I'm a little confused. 

So they "censured" Warren, but then let him speak? Why wouldn't they just do the same thing to him and anyone else? Wasn't their complaint that the letter she was reading had "impugned" a fellow senator? Why does it matter who reads it?

(My browser gives me an error loading the link, something about flash)

their complaint was invalid last night, and i assume they didn't want to push their luck using the same invalid argument today. that and i'm sure senator turtle loves to belittle hiawatha whenever possible.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Article 19 may come into play over the confirmation the the Supreme Court judge. Rush was talking about it today.

Pochontas must be in her teepee sending out smoke signals over Jeff Sessions nomination this afternoon. Smokey tears.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, eieio said:

Article 19 may come into play over the confirmation the the Supreme Court judge. Rush was talking about it today.

Pochontas must be in her teepee sending out smoke signals over Jeff Sessions nomination this afternoon. Smokey tears.

Can you imagine the screaming from the "progressives" if this happens?  Senator Warren will have to get some Depends as she attempts to keep debate open during one of her two speaking sessions.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Can you imagine the screaming from the "progressives" if this happens?  

The "regressives" should let her speak then. They just spent the last 8 years in a perpetual filibuster. The republicans are coming off  looking like hypocrites here.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

morning joe this morning they were talking about how trump wants to single out warren and put her on the path to run against him 2020. and mika said that was just as ridiculous as hillary wanting to run against trump (agreed). trump is going to go down as the president who strives to pick fights with women leadership, because he sees them as weak and an easy mark.. 

and i haven't watched morning joe since like 2008, lord help me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Dakine10 said:

The "regressives" should let her speak then. They just spent the last 8 years in a perpetual filibuster. The republicans are coming off  looking like hypocrites here.

Is that an example of "progressives" progressing in the wrong direction?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!