tipaklongkano

Got approved (Manila), now we have a big problem

16 posts in this topic

My wife's CR-1 visa was delivered to her yesterday. Along with it came a list of requirements that must be completed before she can leave the Philippines. One of the requirements is that she has to attend the CFO seminar and get her passport stamped. We just found out that in order to attend this seminar, she has to submit a certified copy of her report of marriage overseas. When we got married in Bangkok 1.5 years ago, we were told we didn't need to report the marriage at the Philippine embassy or in the Philippines unless she wanted to change her last name to mine, so we skipped that step. We never knew it would be required by the CFO. So, now we're being told that we need to file a report of late registration at the Department of Foreign Affairs. Fine. But, the DFA said it will take at LEAST four months. Her visa expires in 5 months, 11 days! Are we potentially screwed? Do any of you have any idea how we should proceed?

TO RECAP:

My wife can't leave the Philippines until she obtains a stamp in her passport showing that she attended a seminar. She cannot attend this seminar until she receives a document that she may not receive until her cr-1 expires. HELP. Please. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Philippines regional forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not sure how long that takes honestly; but can confirm that she will not be allowed into the terminal in Manila to fly unless she has the stamp/certificate from CFO.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Can't leave the country as in, can't fly to the U.S., or can't fly anywhere? What if, say, we wanted to go on vacation in, oh i don't know...Kuala Lumpur? And then what if our plans change and we decide to fly directly from there to the states? 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
52 minutes ago, tipaklongkano said:

My wife's CR-1 visa was delivered to her yesterday. Along with it came a list of requirements that must be completed before she can leave the Philippines. One of the requirements is that she has to attend the CFO seminar and get her passport stamped. We just found out that in order to attend this seminar, she has to submit a certified copy of her report of marriage overseas. When we got married in Bangkok 1.5 years ago, we were told we didn't need to report the marriage at the Philippine embassy or in the Philippines unless she wanted to change her last name to mine, so we skipped that step. We never knew it would be required by the CFO. So, now we're being told that we need to file a report of late registration at the Department of Foreign Affairs. Fine. But, the DFA said it will take at LEAST four months. Her visa expires in 5 months, 11 days! Are we potentially screwed? Do any of you have any idea how we should proceed?

TO RECAP:

My wife can't leave the Philippines until she obtains a stamp in her passport showing that she attended a seminar. She cannot attend this seminar until she receives a document that she may not receive until her cr-1 expires. HELP. Please. 

Don't stress on the PSA registered marriage certificate.  What CFO requires is a copy of the CENOMAR/CEMAR from PSA... you are reading too much into this.  What she will need is a copy of her marriage certificate and the CENOMAR from PSA (she provided one to the embassy).

Your "flying somewhere else" idea.. .won't fly.   Once there is a visa in the passport, a person does NOT leave the Philippines without the CFO sticker.

Here is a link with some CFO info.   Bring the CENOMAR, and your marriage certificate, all will be fine. :thumbs: 

http://visaconnection-philippines.com/index.php/2-visa-process/5-cfo-gcp-seminar

Edited by Sagot

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Sagot said:

Don't stress on the PSA registered marriage certificate.  What CFO requires is a copy of the CENOMAR/CEMAR from PSA... you are reading too much into this.  What she will need is a copy of her marriage certificate and the CENOMAR from PSA (she provided one to the embassy).

Your "flying somewhere else" idea.. .won't fly.   Once there is a visa in the passport, a person does NOT leave the Philippines without the CFO sticker.

Here is a link with some CFO info.   Bring the CENOMAR, and your marriage certificate, all will be fine. :thumbs: 

http://visaconnection-philippines.com/index.php/2-visa-process/5-cfo-gcp-seminar

Truth!

Timeline

I agree your "flying on vacation" idea has been beat to death ... won't happen.

You have a visa in the passport, you need the CFO sticker.  With that said you are stressing too much about getting the marriage certificate registered in the Philippines  (the rules for that is - it is registered through the consulate representing where you were married).  

Relax, bring a CENOMAR and copies, along with your marriage certificate, follow the guide in the link Sagot gave you.  You should be out of there with the sticker in 4 hours or so.

Save travels

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

50 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

I agree your "flying on vacation" idea has been beat to death ... won't happen.

You have a visa in the passport, you need the CFO sticker.  With that said you are stressing too much about getting the marriage certificate registered in the Philippines  (the rules for that is - it is registered through the consulate representing where you were married).  

Relax, bring a CENOMAR and copies, along with your marriage certificate, follow the guide in the link Sagot gave you.  You should be out of there with the sticker in 4 hours or so.

Save travels

Thank you for replying. The problem is, we after getting married in Bangkok, we did NOT report it to the Philippine embassy there. We skipped the step because we were told that for purposes of US immigration, it was unnecessary.  

The CFO instruction page, item number 4: "If married overseas, original Report of Marriage duly registered by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate or the Department of Foreign Affairs"

Timeline
10 minutes ago, tipaklongkano said:

Thank you for replying. The problem is, we after getting married in Bangkok, we did NOT report it to the Philippine embassy there. We skipped the step because we were told that for purposes of US immigration, it was unnecessary.  

The CFO instruction page, item number 4: "If married overseas, original Report of Marriage duly registered by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate or the Department of Foreign Affairs"

Yes I understand your issue, I'm just saying that you take a run at it with what you have; the CENOMAR from PSA and your marriage certificate (and copies) ...  along with the other items listed in.  You burn 4 hours.. and most likely walk out with the sticker.

Is your wife a confident, self assured person, not meek or timid ... that is a big plus also.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

We were married in the US, didn't have a report of marriage with me to the CFO and the counselor just told me to get it asap when I get to the US. I just told them that I was planning to do the ROM thing when I we'll be in LA for a vacation. 

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

6 hours ago, SennaBrigante said:

We were married in the US, didn't have a report of marriage with me to the CFO and the counselor just told me to get it asap when I get to the US. I just told them that I was planning to do the ROM thing when I we'll be in LA for a vacation. 

Oh man, that's encouraging news. She made an appointment for next Wednesday. She's gonna give it a shot. Fingers and toes crossed. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, tipaklongkano said:

Oh man, that's encouraging news. She made an appointment for next Wednesday. She's gonna give it a shot. Fingers and toes crossed. 

People go through CFO with a K-1 and a CEMAR showing they are married in the Philippines, then a copy of a divorce decree from another country.  <<  And this is why I said to - Git er dun!!

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.