Faith77h

K-1 Visa denied as expected. 212(a)9 (a)(i) what's next?

35 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I need your opinion or sharing of your insights.

I just got denied k-1 Visa as expected. I was given a 2-page letter indicating the section 212 (a)(9)(a)(i). Thr Second page said that  I'm " INA 212 (a)(9)(a)(i) ineligible with a ban or reentry to hr USA until ... No waiver is available. But applicant may apply for entry per 212 (a)(9)(a)(iii). Approved 212-permission to reapply removes this ground, but not tjr circumstances which led up to it." 

I did get deported, and tourist visa cancelled. 5-year band.

I dont understand why the consul said ' no waiver is available'? 

After reading and research, I think 212 needs to applied with 601?

Thanks in advance for insight.

Mom and toddler.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have no experience with the 212 but maybe this will help clarify some of the confusion because the 212 and 601, though both waivers, clearly have different purposes:

"The I-212 waiver only gives you permission to apply for admission with an immigrant visa or nonimmigrant visa, through the Visa Waiver Program, or by adjustment of status if you are physically in the US.

The waiver alone is not enough to gain lawful admission to the U.S.

If your I-212 waiver is granted, your prior visa status is not restored. Instead, you merely have permission to apply for a new visa. For example, if you previously had lawful permanent residence based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, but were removed from the U.S., you must seek a new immigrant visa after the I-212 waiver is granted"

So if this makes sense to anyone else please chime in, what I gather is there is no waiver available for your previous deportation issue or to remove the 5 year bar but you can apply for a 212 waiver and if granted it would allow you to reapply for a new k1 visa.

Good luck - I hope you're successful in this endeavor!

Thanks a lot HoosierEh. 

Still confused and waiting for more advice.

More info : 

- I'm currently not in the US.

- filed K1. Went to interview and got denied. 

- when I was deported. That was then my tourist visa was cancelled.

- after deportation, a boyfriend agreed to make the right path through K1. So we filed it in June. Just went to interview today. Got denied. 

So I am seeking advice and would like to proceed soonest so my 16 months old baby gets to reunite with her dad.

Thanks much again.. 

J. 

Thanks a lot HoosierEh. 

Still confused and waiting for more advice.

More info : 

- I'm currently not in the US.

- filed K1. Went to interview and got denied. 

- when I was deported. That was then my tourist visa was cancelled.

- after deportation, a boyfriend agreed to make the right path through K1. So we filed it in June. Just went to interview today. Got denied. 

So I am seeking advice and would like to proceed soonest so my 16 months old baby gets to reunite with her dad.

Thanks much again.. 

J. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Faith77h said:

Hello, 

I just got denied k-1 Visa as expected. I was given a 2-page letter indicating the section 212 (a)(9)(a)(i). Thr Second page said that  I'm " INA 212 (a)(9)(a)(i) ineligible with a ban or reentry to hr USA until ... No waiver is available. But applicant may apply for entry per 212 (a)(9)(a)(iii). Approved 212-permission to reapply removes this ground, but not tjr circumstances which led up to it." 

Mom and toddler.

The obvious answer is having your fiancé come to you.

Filed: Timeline
8 hours ago, Faith77h said:

Hello, 

Mom and toddler.

I would imagine the reason they state "no waiver is available" is because there is no waiver you can apply for that would allow for this application to be successful.

You can, however, apply for the I-212 which, if approved, will allow your fiancé to file another K1 petition. I'm not sure why you didn't think of doing this before -- you (presumably) knew you were deported and thus had a 5 year ban. It's probably a good time to enlist the services of an immigration attorney to help you succeed.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Brit1 said:

I would imagine the reason they state "no waiver is available" is because there is no waiver you can apply for that would allow for this application to be successful.

You can, however, apply for the I-212 which, if approved, will allow your fiancé to file another K1 petition. I'm not sure why you didn't think of doing this before -- you (presumably) knew you were deported and thus had a 5 year ban. It's probably a good time to enlist the services of an immigration attorney to help you succeed.

I think that we need a bit more information as to why OP was deported in the first place.  If any overstay, a k1 cannot overcome that.

With only the detail you provided it looks like you will have to wait out the ban. As mentioned, a waiver only allows you to APPLY for a visa again. It doesn't mean you will get approved.

An immediate options is to have your fiance come to you to live.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can over come this but like said you need to apply again after the waiver is granted... if it is granted.

Easiest solution probably yes is have your fiance move to you.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am sorry you were denied.  Why were you deported?  I think that will have a greater impact on your case.

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like just a solo i212 is needed based on the limited information provided

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country:
Timeline

We deny people 91A every day. They come back in 6 months with their approved waiver and get their visas. Even K1 applicants. 

Your fiancé can apply for the I-212 waiver for you, or you can wait out the 5 year ineligibility. K1 beneficiaries are technically not eligible for waivers of unlawful presence or prior removal under the letter of the law, but USCIS has interpreted their regulations to permit waivers for K1s. Whether you choose to pursue the waiver or wait the 5 years, your fiance does not need petition for you again (unless you marry and decide to pursue CR1) - you would just need to schedule a new appointment and pay the appointment/visa fee again. Definitely a good idea to consult a lawyer.

Edited by ConOfficer

If the child is a usc he can be with dad part of the year the other with you ?

K1

March 2016 
POE
September 2016
AOS
November 2016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.