Happy Traveler

K1 petition after 5 month divorce

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My question is this. Should I have to wait to do a petition or could I do it right away? I have seen my GF 3 times after I got divorced. but knowing that I got divorced in August would be enough reason to reject the petition? Thanks

Edited by Happy Traveler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Shouldn't be a problem, unless you are a k-1 multiple filer.  (If you have previously filed a K1petition for two or more beneficiaries or you have had a K1 Fiance Visa petition approved within the last 2 years, you must file for a waiver.)  However if you have other unusual circumstances it may raise additional questions.  But in and of itself not that big of a deal.

Edited by Cruise77

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You should be fine, unless there was something special about the divorce (such as that as also a K1).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

OP, you'll be fine. When I met my now wife, I was not even divorced from my ex 1 month and proposed to her less than 5 months after my divorce. USCIS does not care about that. Good points by Cruise and Penguin though.

Edited by Marco&Bettina

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Timeline
6 hours ago, Cruise77 said:

Shouldn't be a problem, unless you are a k-1 multiple filer.  (If you have previously filed a K1petition for two or more beneficiaries or you have had a K1 Fiance Visa petition approved within the last 2 years, you must file for a waiver.)  However if you have other unusual circumstances it may raise additional questions.  But in and of itself not that big of a deal.

Thank you. No I have never filed for a K1.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Penguin_ie said:

You should be fine, unless there was something special about the divorce (such as that as also a K1).

No my ex was a citizen and so am I.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Marco&Bettina said:

OP, you'll be fine. When I met my now wife, I was not even divorced from my ex 1 month and proposed to her less than 5 months after my divorce. USCIS does not care about that. Good points by Cruise and Penguin though.

Thanks a lot. No previous K1 on my part. I was just concerned that they may think is too soon. I am a citizen and have never applied for a K1 before,

1 hour ago, Happy Traveler said:

Thanks a lot. No previous K1 on my part. I was just concerned that they may think is too soon. I am a citizen and have never applied for a K1 before,

You'll be fine. We had to wait one year after my partner was separated until she could file for divorce, it then took a few months... when her divorce was finally granted we applied for k1 within a month or so - at this point we'd been dating close to a year. This caused no problems. If I had been asked why we filed so quickly after the divorce I'd have explained the above.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.