Ryan63

Beginning the process

20 posts in this topic

Ok guys. After going through these forums some, ive decided against hiring an attorney and was hoping this forum could provide me the assistance i need to get my fiance a k1 visa. She lives in the uk. We have zero red flags, neither been married before, no criminal history on either, shes visited twice in last 6 months with receipts for proof, along with ample online chat records and phone logs for proof of relationship. Im just gonna want help making sure each form is perfectly filled out, as ive seen this can be a major inconvenience to deal with from researching the process. Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

I would start here and then ask questions about what you do not understand. Its not as hard as it seems, you can do it! just be honest and accurate and in any place where you can write N/A. Try not to leave anything blank. best of luck...

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The example forms guide is very helpful for this.  It is what I used to double check my work.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

Print them out both the download and the example and go line by line.  Once completed proofread a few times.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yup as above, use the guides and examples to help you in your process.

Check your local country forum here on VJ for any country specific information throughout your process.

For any specific questions search here on VJ using the search bar in top right corner also.

If you can't find the answers then feel free to post and ask for assistance.

Good luck!

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Ryan63 said:

Ok guys. After going through these forums some, ive decided against hiring an attorney and was hoping this forum could provide me the assistance i need to get my fiance a k1 visa. She lives in the uk. We have zero red flags, neither been married before, no criminal history on either, shes visited twice in last 6 months with receipts for proof, along with ample online chat records and phone logs for proof of relationship. Im just gonna want help making sure each form is perfectly filled out, as ive seen this can be a major inconvenience to deal with from researching the process. Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Same boat here Ryan63. My fiancé is from the UK, as well. We have very similar cases too. No previous marriages, no criminal history, sent plenty of proof etc. Just waiting on the NOA2 right now. I used all the guides and examples provided here on this site. Good Luck!

4 minutes ago, Ryan63 said:

ok, im seeing a ds160 on example material, but not in the step by step process. what exactly is this form? I printed just in case, but im not seeing it in the step by step process?

or the ds230? this is the first time ive heard of either of those, in the example files

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You don't have to do anything with the DS-230 for a K-1 Visa. The DS-160 is an online form that is filled out by the beneficiary (foreign fiance) between the NVC stage and the Consulate stage, so you won't have to worry about it for awhile. :)

Have you tried going on youtube and looking up videos of K-1 I-129f packages? My fiance and I watched several before sending ours out and from filing to receiving the visa, it was only four months for us and we did not have any issues. 

Make sure you keep a copy of your I-129f package before you send it out and that you have signed letters of intent to marry from both of you. I would also definitely research the Affidavit of Support (Form I-134). It takes awhile to gather all the evidence for it anddd the UK is typically one of the easier and quicker countries to go through. :D

Good luck! 

K-1 Process: 

August 15th, 2016 - Form I-129f Petition sent to Dallas.

August 23rd, 2016 - NOA 1 received/re-routed to California Service Center.

October 3rd, 2016 - NOA 2 received.

November 2nd, 2016 - NVC received. 

December 8th, 2016 - Medical Exam

December 15th, 2016 - Interview (Approved)

Adjustment of Status:

January 19th, 2017 - POE (Detroit)

February 10th, 2017 - Received Social Security Card in Mail

March 4th, 2017 - Wedding!!!

May 9th, 2017 - AOS NOA 1.

May 26th, 2017 - RFE received and sent back same day. 

May 31st, 2017 - Biometrics.

June 1st, 2017 - RFE Response Received by USCIS.

June 7th, 2017 - EAD Expedite Requested.

June 15th, 2017 - EAD Online Case Status Change-New Card Being Produced. 
June 20th, 2017 - EAD Online Case Status Change-Card Was Mailed. 
June 22nd, 2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card received in mail. 
July 13th, 2017 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview.
August 18th, 2017 - Case Scheduled for Interview.
September 21st, 2017 - AOS Interview in Detroit-APPROVED!!! (Case Status Updated 6 hours After Interview-Didn't receive on spot approval). 
September 25th, 2017 - "Welcome to the United States" letter/Written confirmation of green card approval arrived in mail. 
September 26th, 2017 - Online status change to "My Card Was Mailed to Me."
September 29th, 2017 - Green Card Received! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

As long as it meets the US passport picture requirements, it shouldn't matter if you do that. The name just has to be written on the back lightly along with the date. We followed this checklist and we were fine. :) 

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html

K-1 Process: 

August 15th, 2016 - Form I-129f Petition sent to Dallas.

August 23rd, 2016 - NOA 1 received/re-routed to California Service Center.

October 3rd, 2016 - NOA 2 received.

November 2nd, 2016 - NVC received. 

December 8th, 2016 - Medical Exam

December 15th, 2016 - Interview (Approved)

Adjustment of Status:

January 19th, 2017 - POE (Detroit)

February 10th, 2017 - Received Social Security Card in Mail

March 4th, 2017 - Wedding!!!

May 9th, 2017 - AOS NOA 1.

May 26th, 2017 - RFE received and sent back same day. 

May 31st, 2017 - Biometrics.

June 1st, 2017 - RFE Response Received by USCIS.

June 7th, 2017 - EAD Expedite Requested.

June 15th, 2017 - EAD Online Case Status Change-New Card Being Produced. 
June 20th, 2017 - EAD Online Case Status Change-Card Was Mailed. 
June 22nd, 2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card received in mail. 
July 13th, 2017 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview.
August 18th, 2017 - Case Scheduled for Interview.
September 21st, 2017 - AOS Interview in Detroit-APPROVED!!! (Case Status Updated 6 hours After Interview-Didn't receive on spot approval). 
September 25th, 2017 - "Welcome to the United States" letter/Written confirmation of green card approval arrived in mail. 
September 26th, 2017 - Online status change to "My Card Was Mailed to Me."
September 29th, 2017 - Green Card Received! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hey Ryan.  My fiancé and I are in the same boat.  He is in the UK and same as you guys, we have all things positive going for us.  We also opted out of hiring an attorney due to the expenses that will already be incurred with the process.  Spending an additional 5k to have someone fill out paperwork was something we felt was not in our best interest.  We submitted our petition on December 21st.  I filled out all of the paperwork myself and luckily he was here visiting when I filled it out so he was able to sign anything that needed his signature (letter of intent, mainly).  We received our NOA1 on Tuesday this week and our packet is being processed as of January 5th.  We are now just waiting for the NOA2 letter so we can really get things rolling. 

All in all, if you do your research and look for help on forums like this, the paperwork is not too bad.  I also downloaded an app on my iPhone called "Fiance Visa" that has a good step by step guideline to the process.  There is a lot of useful information on the USCIS website as well.  I say just take your time and double check everything and you will be fine.  It seems (from what I have read) that the more complicated stuff doesn't come until after the case is transferred to the NVC.  I will be interested to keep up with your journey!  Good luck to you guys! 

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Me and my wife got her K1 approved last year and are now in the adjustment of status process.  It's frustrating and long.  We used the sample documents here for everything and never got an RFE so an attorney is not needed if your careful.  The one trip up we had in the process was at the embassy interview.  You should find out now if your fiance has any foreign travel from the UK that lasted more then 6 months no matter how long ago it was.  If she does she will need a Police Certificate from that country.  Some countries take months to get a police certificates from.   My didn't understand this requirement and it's not that well documented here so my wife (fiance then) didn't have it when she went to the embassy for her interview.  My wife had to get one from the UK because she went to grad school there for a year 17 years ago.  Her visa was denied until she could get it.

Also, the address to use? Im in tx, the address im seeing is either:

USCIS

P.O. Box 660151

Dallas, TX 75266

or for express and courier: 

Attn: I-129F

2501 South State Highway 121 Business

Suite 400

Lewisville, TX 75067

any recommendations for either? And are those correct?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I am in South Carolina and I filed to the Express box in Lewisville, TX. They then forwarded it to the California agency who is the location that sent us our NOA1 letter.  You should be good sending it to the Texas location.  I recommend sending it private courier (UPS or FedEx) so that you can get a tracking number on it and keep an eye on it.  Good luck!

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.