abispo

Do I need Medical report from my GP for Medical?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys, I have my Medical this week and have just received the email confirming the appointment from the Doctors. I noticed that on the email it said I needed a Medical report from my GP however on the embassy website there is no mention of this and it just says I need a vaccination report.

Do I need the Medical Summary Report if I have no medical issues?

Filed: Timeline

It's great that you have no medical conditions but the embassy doctor (for want of a better term) isn't just going to take your word for it. If you don't have any medical conditions then you will need something from your GP that says that. Get as much information as you can. 

They may ask for none of it, if so you've been slightly inconvenienced gathering it all together. But then they may ask for all of it, and if you don't have it on you, you'll have to get it to them before they will release your medical notes to the embassy. I should imagine that is far more inconvenient and stressful. 

Two main things to remember are to be prepared and don't worry about the medical. It isn't as scary as you may think, in fact it's all rather painless and efficient. 

Edited by Zoe_Doodah
Read initial post properly!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
14 hours ago, Zoe_Doodah said:

It's great that you have no medical conditions but the embassy doctor (for want of a better term) isn't just going to take your word for it. If you don't have any medical conditions then you will need something from your GP that says that. Get as much information as you can. 

They may ask for none of it, if so you've been slightly inconvenienced gathering it all together. But then they may ask for all of it, and if you don't have it on you, you'll have to get it to them before they will release your medical notes to the embassy. I should imagine that is far more inconvenient and stressful. 

Two main things to remember are to be prepared and don't worry about the medical. It isn't as scary as you may think, in fact it's all rather painless and efficient. 

That is absolutely not true. Even on the email from the doctors it tells you that you only need a GP summary if you have had health problems in the past. They do take your word for it, just like they take your word if you've had chicken pox when it comes to the vaccinations.

OP: Unless you have any chronic medical conditions that are being treated, an accident or serious injury that resulted in very noticeable disability or scars, a history of mental illness or being treated for depression - then you will need a simple doctor's letter. In particular for issues regarding depression, self harm, etc a simple letter stating that the patient is not a threat to themselves or others will suffice.

Otherwise, if you are the average completely healthy individual with no issues of note, you do not need a note from the doctor.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Sorry, I don't want to alarm or mislead anyone so am happy to defer to someone who knows better. I assumed the summary of medical history asked for by Benticks was for everyone, and the reports part was for those with medical conditions etc. Many apologies if I have got this wrong. 

1. Summary of medical history from GP (NOT full medical records) and reports covering any medical conditions, disabilities, and prior serious illnesses you have been treated for or anything ongoing

47 minutes ago, Zoe_Doodah said:

Sorry, I don't want to alarm or mislead anyone so am happy to defer to someone who knows better. I assumed the summary of medical history asked for by Benticks was for everyone, and the reports part was for those with medical conditions etc. Many apologies if I have got this wrong. 

1. Summary of medical history from GP (NOT full medical records) and reports covering any medical conditions, disabilities, and prior serious illnesses you have been treated for or anything ongoing

I can assure you, if you are a fit and healthy person, a note is not required. Which is what the statement above actually reads. A summary (which is fairly poorly written as a letter is just fine) covering any medical conditions [...] or anything ongoing.  A person that is fit and healthy doesn't have a report of that nature. The notice is not asking for a summary that states the person is healthy. For instance my husband is a healthy individual, but his hand was severely injured as a teenager, requiring extensive surgery, and there are scars in several locations (both on his hand but also in places where they grafted healthy bone). He provided a simple letter stating this from his GP. The doctor did not directly ask him for this either, as they discussed it, he just offered it.

7 minutes ago, Zoe_Doodah said:

Just as an aside, do they also take your word for it regarding mental health issues? As this is something that could potentially prevent you from getting a visa, I just wondered. I thought the GP summary would be more for that, really, rather than physical

issues. 

No they don't exactly take your word on it. You have to answer honestly to questions on a lot of subjects including mental health. Their primary concern is if you are a danger to yourself or others. If you do not provide a letter or satisfy the doctor regarding this, there may be a delay on your case, including being sent to whatever consulting doctor they recommend for further examination. The primary pressing concerns for Knightsbridge are going to be mental health, drugs and alcohol abuse, STDs.

Taking your word for it on vaccinations is a different issue for Knightsbridge. The truth is you don't actually need vaccinations to obtain a K1. But you do need them for AOS stateside. That's why it's recommended to get them prior to your medical exam, or during the medical exam. They will take your word for it on chickenpox, mainly because such a vaccination can't really be obtained in the UK... and most everyone has had the disease as a child and the doctor can notice the hallmarks it leaves behinds in scars.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

But there is actually something called a medical records summary which you can either print off yourself if you have a Patient Access account or ask your GP to print off for you. I didn't know it existed either until this process, I had to ask on here, and a kind member pointed me towards what I needed to ask for at my GP. Unless you have opted out by letter, everyone has one of these, regardless of whether you have any past or ongoing health conditions. If you have nothing then it will say so. It will also state what medication you are on and if you're not on any, it will state that also. I thought this is what Benticks were referring to in their e mail. 

Edited by Zoe_Doodah

• 2 months later...

So other people from the UK have gone through the process without a letter it seems? 

My wife had the same concern. She is on birth control, but otherwise no other prescription from her doctor and no significant history.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
7 hours ago, bcking said:

So other people from the UK have gone through the process without a letter it seems? 

My wife had the same concern. She is on birth control, but otherwise no other prescription from her doctor and no significant history.

Yes. Hundreds have. They want further information on surgeries, asthma, heart disease, cancer, glaucoma, depression, diabetes, high blood pressure, panic attacks, ulcers--conditions you might have been treated for or are currently on meds for that are of a more serious nature. Not something like ingrown toenail when you were 12 or one sinus infection six years ago.  I believe they just want to hear it from a medical professional in medical terms rather than "I had this thing removed once and had to take purple pills afterward for six weeks." 

• 2 months later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know this thread is a couple months old.. but I have some questions regarding the medical too. 

Hubby has a few medical problems,type 2 Diabetic (pills not insulin), sleep apnoea and chronic headache.  

All under good or moderate control with medication and his CPAP machine. 

Any idea if any of these will cause any concern ? I assume we will need a rough summary that he's got these things under control in that summary you guys mentioned... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Heather Mcnally said:

I know this thread is a couple months old.. but I have some questions regarding the medical too. 

Hubby has a few medical problems,type 2 Diabetic (pills not insulin), sleep apnoea and chronic headache.  

All under good or moderate control with medication and his CPAP machine. 

Any idea if any of these will cause any concern ? I assume we will need a rough summary that he's got these things under control in that summary you guys mentioned... 

Not anything that would cause him to be inadmissible to the US. Get a write up from his GP explaining onset, ongoing meds or treatments, prognosis...that kind of report to give to the visa medical staff. 

I have a fairly serious, lifelong condition and took a 1 page letter from my GP and hospital consultant to the medical, the doctor doing the medical barely looked at them.

As has been said above their primary concern is that you don't have any communicable illness and are no risk to yourself or others.

At most for ongoing conditions the CO may ask about insurance coverage to ensure you have plans in place for when you get here :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.