JimRaynor

New here, need some direction

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm looking for some direction as to what I should do in my situation. I'm very pleased with how helpful everyone here is, this is a great community. I went to the Philippines for 3 months to meet my girlfriend and to get to know her (she lives close to Manila). I quit my job before going there. Now I'm back in the US and I'm about to start working again. My girlfriend (now my fiance) and I are looking to marry, and I'd like to bring her here to the US so we can spend our lives together. How long should I be working before I start the K1 Fiance Visa process? I know there are income requirements, and I can even get a co-sponsor if it's an option? Trying to figure out what I should do.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As to how long one should be working somewhere before filing/supplying the financial documentation, I-134, is always up for debate.

If you started work tomorrow, and filed the I-129F also, you would have 3-4 months of work in by time you got the interview phase. 

Along with pay stubs and letter from the employer for this work, can you provide adequate W2's for previous years to show consistent income? 

Just something to consider.

Also, the embassy in Manila rarely excepts co-sponsors for K-1 visas, unless the USC is perhaps a recent college graduate... but it is case by case also.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The question is..can you afford to pay for the fees needed for the process at this time? If yes then go ahead and file for a visa...hopefully your job makes more then the poverty level, just take into consideration that it's not a fast process and fairly expensive. Good luck

Yes, I'm able to pay for the fees and process. This job I'll be working I'll be making over the poverty level, which is what, $16,020 for 2? I live in the state of Illinois. But the thing is, my taxes from previous years do not add up to that amount. So do I need to wait until I have made at least that amount from my current job, or can I start the visa process sooner? Also, is it advisable to go through a service like RapidVisa.com or FilipinaFianceeVisa.com, or should I do it on my own? Some services claim to raise your chances of getting approved.

Edited by JimRaynor

Timeline

Im rather curious as to the responses in this thread..in a sense, I have the same situation.. The difference being, Ive been on workers comp (until recently) and remain on SSDI, but with the comp ending, I can look for part time work. I will go to PI at the end of April, come back and file, and start my work.

download.jpgdownload.pngVJ.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm from Illinois too! 

Was there a reason you quit your job and not just took a leave? Don't forget you have to submit your taxes at least from the previous year (they supposedly ask for three years but at least one will be needed). 

I would think if you keep switching jobs maybe there will be a concern of longevity within your job? But the best you can do is try, right? 

I think the cisa process is easily do-able without paying for a service unless you have some kind of special circumstances. The guides on here make it easy to go through step by step. People are always helpful with questions. 

24 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

I'm from Illinois too! 

Was there a reason you quit your job and not just took a leave? Don't forget you have to submit your taxes at least from the previous year (they supposedly ask for three years but at least one will be needed). 

I would think if you keep switching jobs maybe there will be a concern of longevity within your job? But the best you can do is try, right? 

I think the cisa process is easily do-able without paying for a service unless you have some kind of special circumstances. The guides on here make it easy to go through step by step. People are always helpful with questions. 

I wasn't able to take a leave at that time since I went to the Philippines for such a long time (3 months). They wouldn't allow it.

The job I'm about to start working I'll be making over the poverty level ($16,020 for 2), so I'm trying to figure out when I should start the visa process then? If I just show pay stubs and a letter of employment, along with taxes, should I be okay?

Edited by JimRaynor

Timeline
1 hour ago, MarkPerry said:

Manila Embassy rarely asks for I-134 or paystubs or anything support related.  File the petition, Manila Embassy has about the fastest and easiest K1 that I know

good to know, I like the sounds of that!

download.jpgdownload.pngVJ.jpg

Just don't forget the going for the k1 route, the immigrant spouse will need to file for aos and the us citizen will need to either show the financial ability to support the immigrant himself/ herself or find a sponsor. The poverty guideline is over 20,000 a year for 2 people and should change (go higher) soon

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline
4 hours ago, JimRaynor said:

I wasn't able to take a leave at that time since I went to the Philippines for such a long time (3 months). They wouldn't allow it.

The job I'm about to start working I'll be making over the poverty level ($16,020 for 2), so I'm trying to figure out when I should start the visa process then? If I just show pay stubs and a letter of employment, along with taxes, should I be okay?

Poverty line at 125% for 2 is $ 20,025 and will go up this spring around March so you need to confirm the new guidelines

when they come out.
Some embassies accept 100% which is $ 16,020, not sure what your embassy accepts.
For AOS you will need $ 20,025 for sure.
Spending money on rapid visa is not necessary if you can follow directions according to the guides here.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

I'll concur that we just finished the k1 process and they did not ask for the I-134, but I would have to ask my fiancée if they asked what I did for work. If they ask your fiancée your job status as a question it might bring up a red flag and he may request the I-134, so it's better to be prepared. I think your ok to start the process, just be prepared for possibly needing a co-sponsor, and I've read that they do use the 100% poverty for I-134's in Philippines. As stated she may not even be asked to show it though.

On 1/7/2017 at 8:32 PM, javadown2 said:

I'll concur that we just finished the k1 process and they did not ask for the I-134, but I would have to ask my fiancée if they asked what I did for work. If they ask your fiancée your job status as a question it might bring up a red flag and he may request the I-134, so it's better to be prepared. I think your ok to start the process, just be prepared for possibly needing a co-sponsor, and I've read that they do use the 100% poverty for I-134's in Philippines. As stated she may not even be asked to show it though.

Does the US Embassy in Manila allow co-sponsors for a fiance visa? I thought I heard somewhere they do not. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks for your help.

I live in Plano. Best of luck!

Edited by Ban Hammer
to remove quoted post

Timeline

I believe the real question is how much do you have in the bank right now? Because if you have anything less than $10,000 saved, and are only making poverty level, you cannot afford this. The costs go far beyond the filing fees and once you file, you have a limited amount of time to get everything done. I am far above the poverty line, had quite a bit of money saved up, and it still damn near ran my bank account dry.  

Work your butt off, save the money, and then go for it. I understand that you want to hurry to be with her for life, but be smart about it. Save, save, save. I hope this helps!

K1 VISA

I-129F Sent:                2015-12-15
I-129F NOA1:              2015-12-24
I-129F NOA2:              2016-02-05

NVC Received:            2016-02-19
Case # Assigned:        2016-02-19
NVC Left:                    2016-02-22
Consulate Received:   2016-02-24
Packet 3 Received:     2016-03-03

Interview Date:            2016-03-29
Interview Result:         Approved

Visa Received:           2016-04-06
US Entry:                   2016-04-09
Marriage:                   2016-05-17

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed:               2016-06-16
NOA Date:               2016-06-20
RFE:                        2016-07-30  
   2 RFE's on this date. I did not fill out i-865 household size properly.
    I also needed to send them my IRS Tax Transcripts for proof of meeting
    minimum income requirement.

Biometrics:              2016-08-19
RFE:                       2016-10-06

2 more FRE's on this date. We received the dreaded medical, go straight to
    the civil surgeon :(  Total cost of $366
    And the other one was for proof of continuing relationship. We sent in
    some pictures and our Ultrasound pictures :D

Approval/Denial Date:  2016-11-26
Approved:                   YES

Timeline

In our case my husband doesn't have anything in his bank account but what he did is since he has money just enough to pay for the fees he immediately sent the fiancé visa application and while we are waiting for the approval he works hard and save money for my visa, medical and plane ticket. So send your application now. Please take note that as soon as you marry her here, you need to adjust her status and that's another fee but you can delay it if you don't have enough.

During my interview at the embassy, they asked for the Affidavit of support and the current paystub. If you need to have 2 or more job then do it please. My husband income on Affidavit of Support is not sufficient but he was able to present 3 different pay stub and from there we got approved  without getting a co-sponsor BUT this is not always the case, your faith is always depend on the consul, just pray you get a nice one. Good luck.

SgBcm5.png

K1 - FIANCE VISA                                                                                           ROC - I751

05.20.2013: Sent K1 Visa Application                                                              01.31.2017: Sent ROC application

05.24.2013: NOA1                                                                                           02.10.2017: NOA1 dated Feb. 3                                                                                 

09.24.2013: NOA2                                                                                           03.03.2017: Biometrics notice received  (Mar. 17)

10.23.2013: NVC letter received                                                                      01.26.2018: Received approval letter (Date of Decision: 01.22.2018)

11.04.2013: Medical done                                                                                02.07.2018: Status: New Card being produced

11.12.2013: Interview Approved                                                                      02.14.2018: Received GC but status still "New Card Being Produced"

11.19.2013: Visa in hand                                                                                 N400 - Natuzalization

12.26.2013: Hello America!                                                                              02.22.2018: Apply online  

AOS, EAD & AP                                                                                               02.24.2018: Online Status: Biometric was Scheduled"

04.19.2014: Sent Application                                                                            03.15.2018: Biometric Scheduled (early walkin (03.06.2018)

04.27.2014: Received text & email application was received                           12.21.2018: Email and text notice for scheduled interview

05.25.2014: Biometrics done                                                                             01.31.2019: Interview

07.12.2014: EAD & AP combo card received                                                    02.19.2019 : Oathtaking ceremony

08.04.2014: Received "Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case"                     

04.21.2015: Status - "Carp produce - Approved - No interview

05.01.2015: Received GC

*************************** GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME *********************************

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.