campcl0

filing for mother with I130 while living in Mexico

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

I wanted to ask you guys how I can petition for my mother. I am an american citizen and we both live in Mexico. I want to file for her to get her green card. She has a tourist visa currently that will expire next month. How can i file for her to get a green card and what form do i need to use? All of the process will happen while I (son, and usc) am living in mexico. 

Have you maintained domicile in the USA while you have been living in MX? (Place of residence, filed taxes, etc)

If so, the guides on this site can help you with all the steps and forms.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

you have to move to the US, the green card is for family reunification, if you don't move or live in the US, then there is no GC,

you are filing because you want her to live in the US as you do. You have to also prove US domicile, that you haven't abandoned your country

and you will probably need a joint sponsor if you haven't filed taxes and made enough income to sponsor someone, unless you have a good amount of assets

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have not lived in the united states since i was 11 years old. I just turned 21, 2 months ago. as far as i understand i can get someone to co sponsor for support for my mom right? if i have no tax returns. 

Cosponsor is for financial support. That is separate. What you need to do is establish US domicile/residency first. Then after you have established that you have to show financial support which is where the cosponsor part may come in. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

ww

yes, but you have to live in the US, when are you moving back? do you have a place to live in the US

where will you and your mom live here? with family?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Follow the Guides on VJ on how to petition your mom.

You can have a Joint Sponsor for your mom.  

You will need proof that you have a US domicile.

If you made more than $10,000 in any of the last three years, then you are required to file US tax returns.

So I assume you're both planning on moving to the USA permanently?

If not, there is a slim chance your mom will get her green card. Family based green cards are meant to unite the family in the USA. You're not living in the USA, so what's there to unite?

Also don't think that this plan would work - your mom somehow gets her green card and then uses it as a tourist visa. She has to LIVE in the USA to maintain her resident status. If not, her green card will be taken away.

It really sounds like that all your mom needs to do is just apply for another tourist visa.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
22 hours ago, campcl0 said:

I have not lived in the united states since i was 11 years old. I just turned 21, 2 months ago. as far as i understand i can get someone to co sponsor for support for my mom right? if i have no tax returns. 

In addition to everything what's above, even with a co-sponsor you have to submit your tax returns or proof you didn't have to file since all US citizen have to file them, regardless where they live and where they earn their income.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.