nephivi07

'Have you made specific travel plans'

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
When I filled in the DS-160 form, I put a specific travel month. Thereafter, during my visa interview, when asked by the CO when will I be traveling to the US, I answered that I will probably travel in that same month stated on the DS160 as well, though not sure. And I was telling the truth at the time. The CO checked the date on the DS-160 form and typed something into the computer.

However after some discussion with my fiance, we later figure out that it will be better to travel one month earlier than the date I told the CO.

Would this constitute an issue with the CBP at the Port of Entry? Will it constitute as 'misrepresentation' if the CBP pull out the DS160 and the record and sees what the CO has typed, which might be my statement that I will probably arrive at that date, but now it's different than the actual date I arrive, even though I told the truth at the interview? Or is it as long as the visa is valid then I can travel at any time permitted on the K1?

Thanks.

Filed: Timeline

I can't remember if I answered 'no' to the question and put intended travel date, or answered 'yes' and put a specific travel plan there. Let's assume the worst, that I answered 'yes' and put in a specific travel plan, and later told the CO that I will probably travel in that same month. Then shortly after getting the visa I changed my mind and want to travel a month earlier. Maybe the CBP at the POE will say I lied on my DS160 and lied to the CO?

You can travel whenever the visa is valid.

I wouldn't purchase any tickets until you have the visa in your hand as anything can delay the delivery of the passport.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

I think they ask for that date to have an idea when to interview. On that basis, on the DS160 I suggested a date that was a little earlier than I intended. I ended up getting an interview that was scheduled just 2 weeks or so after the letter inviting me to it (was told its typically 4 weeks in London), which came right after my medical. This gave me time to have a trip to Portugal to see my brother before leaving for the US. I think I still travelled around 2-3 weeks later than I suggested in DS160.

If you get the visa on time, you're good to travel (within the time limits of that visa). Don't worry too much about it, you are over thinking it. No one is going to suggest you lied because your travel plans changed a little. They specifically tell you NOT to book flights or make any firm wedding plans until you have the visa. So no one should have firm unchangeable plans when filling in the DS160.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.