b6543

How important is Petitioner be at Interview in Vietnam?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I want to get forum members thoughts on "How important is for Petitioner to be at Interview in Vietnam?" Based on what I have read:

Of course we both are in love and want to spend our life together, so I want to be there for interview.

It helps, if petitioner is there at embassy for interview.

Our brief story: We both are in love and want to spend our life together. We are so thankful to find each other. Traveled to Vietnam 2 trips. Engagement in HCM. Now waiting for her to join me in US.

Would be great if others can share similar interview experiences. Your advice and ideas welcome...

Thanks,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread is moved from the Embassy/Consulate forum to the Vietnam regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

You do not have to be there but I would at least for emotional support. She is going to be bombarded with tons of questions. She will be a nervous wreck and confused. Don't you want to be there by her side to offer your support? Ask yourself that question and you will have your answer.

Timeline

I wholeheartedly agree with frontgear. I'm currently in HCMC, and had our interview earlier today. Many of the people who were there alone, were visibly nervous and scared. Most appeared to get blue slips, and I can only imagine how devastated they must have been feeling. At that point, they needed their significant other more than ever. Even I wanted to give them hugs, and I'm a borderline hermit. I went in to more debt and will likely miss Christmas at home, but even if it were 10 times that, it would be worth every penny so that I can be here for her. So, imho, even though you aren't required to, you should go to the interview with her. Feel free to ask questions.

Edited by Chuffnut

Timeline

I want to get forum members thoughts on "How important is for Petitioner to be at Interview in Vietnam?" Based on what I have read:

Of course we both are in love and want to spend our life together, so I want to be there for interview.

It helps, if petitioner is there at embassy for interview.

Our brief story: We both are in love and want to spend our life together. We are so thankful to find each other. Traveled to Vietnam 2 trips. Engagement in HCM. Now waiting for her to join me in US.

Would be great if others can share similar interview experiences. Your advice and ideas welcome...

Thanks,

b6543,

In my opinion it shows to the Consular officer that the relationship that you and your fiancee have is bonafide and genuine that you are there at the visa interview to provide support for your fiancee. Any questions or doubts the Consular officer has about your case will be immediately at the visa interview if you are physically there. Good luck to your and your fiancee in this process. I leave the US for Vietnam on January 10th. My fiancee Duong's visa interview is on Friday January 13th. I will arrive in the morning of January 12th the day before her visa interview. I plan to be in Vietnam until January 23rd waiting for her visa to be given to her. Plan to come back with her to the US.

Cesar

K1 Fiancee Visa Timeline

September 16, 2016- Submitted I-129F Petition

September 19, 2016- USPS delivered I-129F Petition to Lewisville, TX

September 21, 2016-Notice of Action Date from Paper notice

September 22, 2016-USCIS cashed our I129F petition fee payment and received text and email message confirming that our petition has been forwarded to the California Service Center for processing

September 26, 2016- Received NOA1 in the mail stating that our petition has been received by California Service Center and is in process
October 14, 2016- Checked USCIS application online and our case was approved. NOA2 will be mailed.

October 20,2016- Received NOA2 paper copy in the mail from the California Service Center indicating that our petition was approved and will be sent to the National Visa Center.

November 9, 2016- Called NVC and they confirmed that our approved I-129F petition has been received

November 14,2016- Called NVC and they confirmed that our approved I-129f petition was given a case number

November 15,2016- Checked the State Department Consular Electronic Application Center and our case is in transit to the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City

November 17, 2016- Checked he State Department Consular Electronic Application Center and our case has been received by the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City. It shows Ready with the following message: "case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section"

November 23, 2016- Received by email Packet 3 from the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City

November 25, 2016- Completed Packet 3 and send it to the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City

December 1, 2016- Medical Examination Completed

December 1, 2016- Visa interview scheduled for Tuesday January 24, 2017

December 2, 2016- US Consulate changed my fiancee Duong's interview to Friday January 13, 2017

January 13, 2017- US Consulate gives my fiancee Duong a blue sheet requesting for more evidence.

January 20, 2017- My fiancee Duong and I returned to the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City and submitted requested evidence and received approval notification after waiting for 3.5 hours. :)

January 25, 2017- US Consulates issues my fiancee Duong's visa and sends it to her via EMS- local courier service in Vietnam. Due to Tet holiday my fiancee Duong will most locally received her passport and visa late next week.

@Chuffnut: Congrats to you both!

@Cesar & Duong: Good luck on the interview. You are doing the right thing.

I, too, went back to VN to be at her side. The consular officer did not need to talk to me but I had to sit across the aisle watching her going through the whole thing. I was actually more worried about the interview than my fiancee. A week before I left for VN, I could not even sleep thru the night. I had a gazillion of what-ifs that went through my mind. Then I thought to myself, if she does not pass this time around, I will just come back in a few months, have a formal wedding, and file for IR1/CR1. Luckily, she did pass. That was more than 2 years ago and we have a beautiful 6-month old daughter now.

Timeline

Agree and I had already bought the ticket and was planning to be there for interview. I plan to be with my fiance during the whole process. My fiance Nhung is worth it all and for our new life together.

I was more interested in getting forum members tips for petitioners at interview, how I can best help.

Thanks for responses and your encouragement.

@fontgear Yes. Thanks for sharing your interview experience and advise. Congratulations on baby daughter!

@Chuffnut: Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your interview experience.

@Cesar & Duong: Best wishes.

Thks,

Paul

Timeline

Greetings Paul!

I agree with everyone that you should be there. I honestly think it does make a big difference. I had a choice to either be there for my now wife's interview (she just passed her citizen interview on 12/14/16 by the way- yayyyy) or go to pick her up when she had k-1 visa. I chose to be with her because without visa, there is no trip to pick her up. I made sure the CO knew I was there. I took stack of paperwork to counter and returned to my seat. The CO asked if I was her fiancé and she said yes. Surprisingly he asked me to come to window and partake in interview. I was shocked! I did an ice breaker and made CO laugh. After that, interview took 15 minutes and it was approved. I wrote a lengthy review of our experience and encourage you to read it if you are interested. The value of being there a few days before is so you can quiz your fiancée on questions they might ask her. I quizzed my fiancée on about 100 questions about me/us. The key thing is to be prepared and leave no stone unturned.

Me being there helped her immensily because she knew she was not alone and we were in it together.

Best wishes to all that have interview's coming up and happy holidays!

Timeline

Agree and I had already bought the ticket and was planning to be there for interview. I plan to be with my fiance during the whole process. My fiance Nhung is worth it all and for our new life together.

I was more interested in getting forum members tips for petitioners at interview, how I can best help.

Thanks for responses and your encouragement.

@fontgear Yes. Thanks for sharing your interview experience and advise. Congratulations on baby daughter!

@Chuffnut: Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your interview experience.

@Cesar & Duong: Best wishes.

Thks,

Paul

Feel free to PM if I can help in any way!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I wholeheartedly agree with frontgear. I'm currently in HCMC, and had our interview earlier today. Many of the people who were there alone, were visibly nervous and scared. Most appeared to get blue slips, and I can only imagine how devastated they must have been feeling. At that point, they needed their significant other more than ever. Even I wanted to give them hugs, and I'm a borderline hermit. I went in to more debt and will likely miss Christmas at home, but even if it were 10 times that, it would be worth every penny so that I can be here for her. So, imho, even though you aren't required to, you should go to the interview with her. Feel free to ask questions.

I'm still in Denver waiting for the interview date. I'm not worried about my wife but I am interested in how things went for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Maybe necessary for K1 but I don't think for the CR1/IR1. Then again depends on how confident your wife or fiancé is.

My wife spoke fluent English and chatted with CO both in Viet and English. She is very personable and chatty sort so she didn't have any issue.

If you have a genuine relationship you won't have any issues whether you go to the interview or not.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Timeline

VJ has such valuable information and expertise and support! Thanks...

@jac_chappin I looked at your detailed review post for your interview...very useful. I am planning to go to Embassy, maybe 2 days before interview to make sure they know I am there and interested.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.