Why Case held at embassy

61 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Totally agree

Refile

show USCIS you are serious and your marriage is "for real"

appeal takes too long

A CR/IR returned case does not expire and is very much alive and therefore it would be silly to re file.

With a returned spousal visa you follow the path of USCIS review for re affirmation with a response rebuttal to the NOID/NOIR.

A refile causes many more problems with the same result.

The reason for denial is overcome with USCIS at this point.

You have given advice before to re file for a returned spousal visa and I keep telling you that advice is wrong.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Sorry to hear about the refusal to issue the visa and return of the petition to USCIS.

You will receive a NOID/NOIR letter to which you have to respond to within 30 days with your rebuttal.

Sometimes USCIS does not send a NOID/NOIR letter and sends the petition back to the embassy with

recommendation to approve but usually it involves the letter and response and that takes 12-18 months for the process.

You can not speed up the process, it takes as long as it takes, returned cases are not a priority to USCIS.

Why Ghana sits on petitions for 6 months is not clear either, perhaps because they have a very high return rate and USCIS

is too busy to have them sit so long at their storage places and backlogs occur.

You have done a very good job preparing the petition, visiting, gathering evidence and preparing him for the interview and I

hope he will not say again that you messed him up and take responsibility for his misleading the CO with the previous

application stating he wanted to visit his uncle.

I doubt it will be deemed a misrepresentation for which you would need a waiver, so all you can do is wait

for the NOID/NOIR letter listing the reasons for refusal. If the consular finding would have been material misrepresentation

he likely would have been given a 221g marked as such.

This is all very stressful, I have been there done that and have the t-shirt and hat to go with it.

Can't imagine doing it pregnant. Your husband needs to get his attitude under control and realize you did your very best and are about to

deliver his baby soon and he needs to be strong and stop this blame game and give you all details so you can plan the rebuttal

correctly.

Think of yourself and your baby right now and be patient and wait for the process

to unfold to move forward. There is nothing you can do so stop stressing and enjoy that baby coming soon.
Plan on him being with you in a 1 1/2 and if it happens sooner it will be a nice break.

If you need help with the rebuttal down the road ask for feedback here.

One tiny slim chance would be to request through your senator a second interview but I do not think

Ghana will go for it and you are too close to delivering to be on the premises should they grant the interview.

I wish you the best !

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove excessive blank space.
Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OP, the person telling you to refile is wrong. The proper way is to send a rebuttal to an NOIR. The notice will state why it is being sent and a rebuttal must address those reasons. While a proper rebuttal does not guarantee reaffirmation and reaffirmation will not ultimately guarantee a visa, rebutting an NOIR affords the opportunity to respond to a CO's findings; refilling doesn't Except for postage, there is no fee to submit an NOIR rebuttal.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Sorry to hear about the refusal to issue the visa and return of the petition to USCIS.

You will receive a NOID/NOIR letter to which you have to respond to within 30 days with your rebuttal.

Sometimes USCIS does not send a NOID/NOIR letter and sends the petition back to the embassy with

recommendation to approve but usually it involves the letter and response and that takes 12-18 months for the process.

You can not speed up the process, it takes as long as it takes, returned cases are not a priority to USCIS.

Why Ghana sits on petitions for 6 months is not clear either, perhaps because they have a very high return rate and USCIS

is too busy to have them sit so long at their storage places and backlogs occur.

You have done a very good job preparing the petition, visiting, gathering evidence and preparing him for the interview and I

hope he will not say again that you messed him up and take responsibility for his misleading the CO with the previous

application stating he wanted to visit his uncle.

I doubt it will be deemed a misrepresentation for which you would need a waiver, so all you can do is wait

for the NOID/NOIR letter listing the reasons for refusal. If the consular finding would have been material misrepresentation

he likely would have been given a 221g marked as such.

This is all very stressful, I have been there done that and have the t-shirt and hat to go with it.

Can't imagine doing it pregnant. Your husband needs to get his attitude under control and realize you did your very best and are about to

deliver his baby soon and he needs to be strong and stop this blame game and give you all details so you can plan the rebuttal

correctly.

Think of yourself and your baby right now and be patient and wait for the process

to unfold to move forward. There is nothing you can do so stop stressing and enjoy that baby coming soon.

Plan on him being with you in a 1 1/2 and if it happens sooner it will be a nice break.

If you need help with the rebuttal down the road ask for feedback here.

One tiny slim chance would be to request through your senator a second interview but I do not think

Ghana will go for it and you are too close to delivering to be on the premises should they grant the interview.

I wish you the best !

Thank you all so much for your replies and the information you gave me with tears in my eyes I am grateful you that help out others. I want to be totally straight/ Transparent with everyone I am down I mean I did not get any rest I have know peace at all I've been thinking and thinking but you know another painful thing is this my husband never bother to check on me after he told me the news as if I am the enemy let me tell you that hurts deep it makes me want to give up ALLLLLL that I suffered for all the things I did to have his back and this is how he treats me like I said it make me say why bother he don't have the money for all the fees that were paid, trips I took, time off work not being paid I mean I had him covered never complained about the spending I know he don't make really no money in his country so I picked up the load and put it on my head for love am I a fool or what.

Please can you answer these questions for me thank you

1. If by the Grace of God im granted a second interview will they allow me to be present I read post that talked about my condition and said it would be hard for me to travel to Ghana so does that mean I will be present if one is granted.

2. When case is reaffirmed ( I am trying to claim victory the second time) and is sent back to Ghana will the same CO interview husband or is there no way of knowing.

3. Since I am expecting a child should I be proactive after my baby is born and get a DNA test done so that wont be a hold up for us the second time around and if so do I need to go to specific center that embassy approve of.

Thank you for your time

Edited by Joetan

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1. If by the Grace of God im granted a second interview will they allow me to be present I read post that talked about my condition and said it would be hard for me to travel to Ghana so does that mean I will be present if one is granted.

2. When case is reaffirmed ( I am trying to claim victory the second time) and is sent back to Ghana will the same CO interview husband or is there no way of knowing.

3. Since I am expecting a child should I be proactive after my baby is born and get a DNA test done so that wont be a hold up for us the second time around and if so do I need to go to specific center that embassy approve of.

Thank you for your time

Answers:

1. It's unlikely you would be allowed into the interview area itself, most Embassies and Consulates disallow this.
  2. No way of knowing.
  3. Whether or not you obtain a DNA test after the baby is born is up to you. Whether or not an Embassy or Consulate will only accept a test from a certain location is something I can't speak to.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Thank you all so much for your replies and the information you gave me with tears in my eyes I am grateful you that help out others. I want to be totally straight/ Transparent with everyone I am down I mean I did not get any rest I have know peace at all I've been thinking and thinking but you know another painful thing is this my husband never bother to check on me after he told me the news as if I am the enemy let me tell you that hurts deep it makes me want to give up ALLLLLL that I suffered for all the things I did to have his back and this is how he treats me like I said it make me say why bother he don't have the money for all the fees that were paid, trips I took, time off work not being paid I mean I had him covered never complained about the spending I know he don't make really no money in his country so I picked up the load and put it on my head for love am I a fool or what.

Please can you answer these questions for me thank you

Thank you for your time

1. No, Ghana doesn't usually allow the petitioner inside but being on the premises would be showing effort and support for the

relationship. In your case you have visited so much it wouldn't matter. I think at 8 months you should not travel there, too risky.

2. It could be the same CO or it could be someone else, doesn't matter.

3.The embassy has specific doctors to collect specimen and specific labs for DNA testing, you can find out what doc and labs

are on the list they use.

I would be a bit less generous with the money transfers and tell him you need the money for the baby now.

I think you both need a break to de stress and re group to be able to center your focus on your relationship

and let the process run its course.

You have done all you can, focus on your love and keeping your relationship strong and don't focus on the

immigration process so much. I hope you have a good support system with family and friends.

If he doesn't want to talk, don't chase him down with calls, leave him alone until he shows it's about your love and marriage, not

the green card.

Your first baby is due soon ~ enjoy this time and make the best of it.

I feel your pain but you can do this with or without him !

Spoiler

Timeline

You do NOT re file a CR/IR visa when it is being returned for review.

You re file for a returned K1 not a spousal visa. K1's don't get reviewed, CR/IR cases do and most get re affirmed.

Hello if or when I CR/IR gets reaffirmed from uscis do it go to nvc to wait for interview date like when I first started the process or does it get sent from uscis back to embassy. I have read your detailed posts on how it gets sent back to uscis but wanted to know what the process is to get second interview, and also since its takes 12-18 months we will have to get new police report, and do medical again right.

Timeline

Hello everyone I would like to know is the 2nd interview if case us re affirmed apart of the 12-18 month wait or is there another wait after the re affirmation before you can go in for interview also is it scheduled in the USA like the first interview was or does the embassy tell you when to come in.

Timeline

Joetan it goes to NVC first then the embassy.

Spoiler

Timeline

Yes, if police report and medical are expired you need new ones.

Spoiler

Timeline

Hello everyone I would like to know is the 2nd interview if case us re affirmed apart of the 12-18 month wait or is there another wait after the re affirmation before you can go in for interview also is it scheduled in the USA like the first interview was or does the embassy tell you when to come in.

Ghana embassy has a long wait for interviews so you have to wait a bit more for them to schedule an interview.

Once you have been re affirmed email the embassy on how to proceed with the next interview.

If they do not reply to your email after 4 weeks inquire through a senator about how to proceed to the second interview.

Ghana takes a long time to answer email.

Don't email them now, it is fruitless.

There are many ahead of you with the returned cases waiting for the USCIS review and hopefully re affirmation so watch

the Ghana forum closely for new posts coming in on how they were told to proceed.

Spoiler

Timeline

Joetan it goes to NVC first then the embassy.

ok thanks so it just goes from embassy to uscis than nvc than back to embassy if re affirmed I get it now I was confused because I thought once it gets to uscis and hopefully they reaffirm it they would send it back to embassy since nvc would not be the one scheduling the second interview.

Timeline

Whether NVC schedules or does not schedule, all petitions will have to make a pit stop through NVC.

Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.