sharkfin07

embassy location for interview?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

hi, everyone

i need your help re embassy interview location.

my spouse is brazilian and lives in brazil. and she likes or wants to have the interview in rio de janeiro, brazil ( if possible) as it is near her place of residence.

we heard and read that the interview will be done in the place where the wedding took place. we had this in buenos aires, argentina due to the short residency requirement.

my question, is it possible or is there a way we could have the interview done in her country of residence, which is brazil?

all my thanks to those of you who can share with me some info relevant to this.

I don't know where you heard that. It's completely incorrect. The interview takes place in the country where the applicant lives (which may or may not be their birth country).

They can't do the interview where the couple got married - we got married in the USA! The whole point of this process is to get me a visa for the USA so how could they interview me in the USA?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

JFH, thank you. You give me hope.

i used to have a lawyer who i dismissed after many red flags of incompetence despite the fact that he has gotten my entire $3000 fee. i am still to demand a refund of some amount.

He said this repeteadly, and, also, i read under form I-130 petition. Made me think the author of this rule had no idea about marriage in another country other than the place of the bene's residence.

I would be happy if what you say will prove true to my spouse, but first i have to ask you why your marriage took place in the USA? was she here as a visitor or whatever that you were able to do this? i wanted to do this too, marry in the US because it is not expensive for me but she wasn't here and could not be here yet. And i decided to go straight to the marriage route, than the K-1/ fiancee visa

perhaps you can share with me why you did it here. i just want to eliminate the might what be few differences in our situation and should it prove there is none, then hurrah, I am delighted and will thank you for the kind and generous attention to my case.:) .

I am the wife. My husband is the USC. I'm British. My husband has a lifetime ban from the UK due to his criminal record (nothing bad but the UK is very strict, even for spouses) so we married in the USA when I was visiting on the VWP. I flew there on Tuesday, we got the licence on Wednesday, married on the Saturday (WA has a three-day waiting period from licence issuance to marriage) and I flew home on the Tuesday. All done in one week. I was back at work on Thursday.

I guess it's easier for us because I have access to the VWP for visits and I work in air travel. But there are many others here who married in the USA during a tourism visit.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

thanks for the kind attention you have appropriated for me and my question.

now i can see the difference between our 2 cases. the ruling / statement refers to beneficiaries living abroad and where the petitioner married her abroad, for reasons viz., inability to come to this country, the country of residency and birth has very stringent rules re residency and marriage, etc.

i just think, again, that this rule is no longer viable esp. that travel now is very fluid and people need quick, convenient ways to achieve objectives. ( but until USCIS expressly states that interview is no longer limited to embassies where wedding takes place, but, can be done in country of residence of the foreign spouse, then i still have this concern).

but even if all elements in our 2 cases do not exactly match as for stare decisis rule to apply, in my favor, i can use your case when i try to convince NVC to have the interview done in rio de janeiro, brazil ( in my Form I-130, the embassy placed there for interview was buenos aires, AR, when i still had that lawyer, by the way.)

i thank you for this information. it gives me something to argue in my favor.

btw, why aren't you just doing adjustment of status if you can be here anytime you wish?

my best to you, take care, and hope you be here soon permanently with hubby.:).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Dear OP, you've been misinformed. The beneficiary can interview only in their country of legal residency or citizenship. Where the marriage took place is completely irrelevant.

Imagine a scenario where a couple was married some time ago and the beneficiary can no longer obtain a visa to enter that country. How would they interview there?

Your Brazilian wife can interview in Brazil, end of story. Good luck :-)

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

If I'm not mistaken, K3s had to interview in the country where they got married. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from. K3s are nearly extinct though.

Some info: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/93363-location-of-the-wedding/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You won't need to convince anyone to have the interview in Brazil, she will HAVE TO have it there as she is resident there.

Using a tourist visa with the intention of staying in the USA and filing AOS is illegal, it is visa fraud.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Olá a todos

Preciso de sua ajuda re local da entrevista embaixada.

minha esposa é brasileira e vive no Brasil. e ela gosta ou quer ter a entrevista no Rio de Janeiro, Brasil (se possível), pois é perto de seu local de residência.

temos ouvido e lido que a entrevista será feita no lugar onde ocorreu o casamento. tivemos isso em Buenos Aires, Argentina, devido à exigência de residência curto.

minha pergunta, é possível ou se existe uma maneira que poderíamos ter feito a entrevista em seu país de residência, que é o Brasil?

todos os meus agradecimentos àqueles de vocês que pode compartilhar comigo algumas informações relevantes para o presente.

hello, we have 8 consulates in Brazil, however the one who takes care of the immigrant visa is the consulate in Rio de Janeiro, others just do not immigrant visas, your interview will be held in Rio de Janeiro.

event.png

Timeline

rafael G, all i know in portuguese is , Obrigada.

I am an english speaking USC and it is my brazilian spouse who speaks portuguese. Of course, we would not have understood each other if we don't have a common language, which is English. other than this 2 languages she speaks italian as she is of italian ancestry.

so, obrigada, for your kind attention. yes, i have already asked her to study the requirements of the US Embassy in Rio de Janeiro.

i hope you have your petition given attention soon as you have started it sometime back. Use your senator or congressman to hasten it.

good luck and thanks, again.

Timeline

rafael G, all i know in portuguese is , Obrigada.

I am an english speaking USC and it is my brazilian spouse who speaks portuguese. Of course, we would not have understood each other if we don't have a common language, which is English. other than this 2 languages she speaks italian as she is of italian ancestry.

so, obrigada, for your kind attention. yes, i have already asked her to study the requirements of the US Embassy in Rio de Janeiro.

i hope you have your petition given attention soon as you have started it sometime back. Use your senator or congressman to hasten it.

good luck and thanks, again.

also hope to have my approval soon, if your wife wants, I am part of a group on facebook with only Brazilian to the process of CR1, you can also take part after all today we have Google translator (I use it). anything send me a message. good luck.

event.png

Timeline

hi, Rafael G

thank you for your help and invitation. you are very kind.

i sent your reply to my spouse so she can join your group and teach me how to do so. it is good to have a group of the same intention/ objective so we can share each others problems / know-how so our anxieties are lessened.

i know how i was so stretched with anxiety w/c is why i fired my lawyer. he can't answer my questions nor guide me what to prepare next.

so, again, obrigada, for your kindness.

Timeline

Dear OP, you've been misinformed. The beneficiary can interview only in their country of legal residency or citizenship. Where the marriage took place is completely irrelevant.

Imagine a scenario where a couple was married some time ago and the beneficiary can no longer obtain a visa to enter that country. How would they interview there?

Your Brazilian wife can interview in Brazil, end of story. Good luck :-)

i wonder why i can't see here my reply to you. i did it as soon as i read your reply.

i replied to your email in my yahoo address. did you ever see it somewhere.

i did the same thing to the 3 of you, A' n' L', lemonslice and penguin_ie.

Sorry if you think i did not reply to your posts. I did. it disappeared. guess it went to visajourney site but not here. :(

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

i wonder why i can't see here my reply to you. i did it as soon as i read your reply.

i replied to your email in my yahoo address. did you ever see it somewhere.

i did the same thing to the 3 of you, A' n' L', lemonslice and penguin_ie.

Sorry if you think i did not reply to your posts. I did. it disappeared. guess it went to visajourney site but not here. :(

I did not send an email. You must reply on the message board, not to the email notifications you get.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.