Private Skylark

Changing Names - Male taking female surname

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I really apologise if this is the wrong forum, but none of the others seem to fit and seeing as this forum is about getting engaged/wed I'm pretty sure someone here could answer my question.

My partner and I were talking the other day and he mentioned that he doesn't want me to have his family name (he hates it) and would much rather have my family name. I'm personally not bothered either way. I'd just go from Miss Susan Bates to Mrs Susan Bates. It'd be him having to deal with changing bank account details etc :P

Q: How do we go about it after/before/during the wedding process? I have no idea what needs to be done and what this will mean for us and then the AOS process.

Edited by Private Skylark

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I know there are people who change their names all the time in US. How to go about it, I'm not sure. It looks like a lot of extra work and I don't know how the petitioner changing his surname is going to affect things during the process. Probably the best thing is to contact an attorney. It can't be impossible to do. But it is as I had said, it looks like a lot of extra work. Maybe someone will come along and add more to help you out.

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

It's quiter normal for women to take the husbands name and the a marriage certificate is all you need to begin making the name changes. Even with AOS. It stands to reasont hat a husband should be able to do the same thing, unless there is a specific law in your state that prohibits men from doing this (or only allows it to women). If this is a problem for your state, then you can go to a court and do a legal name change. It's not expensive and often you can file for it yourself without an attorney;s help.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes. I didn't think an attorney was actually necessary. I know there has to be a public notice of the name change. It usually takes place in the local newspaper. That's where I see the name changes take place. I think this has to do with creditors or something to that affect. I know the name change does need to go through the courts.

Edited by altimixdj

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My ex husband took my last name back in 1991, but he was a USC like myself. All we did was go down to the SS office and change it on his SS card. Then we informed IRS , but I don't remember how we did that in detail. I think it may vary from state to state what the ' rules ' are.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

My fiance has expressed interest in taking my last name. In my state, he can legally change his name by declaring it on our marriage certificate. We can then use a certified copy of the marriage certificate to satisfy both social security and USCIS that he was previously so-and-so, and now has legally changed his name to such-and-such.

Whether you can do it on the marriage license depends on what state you'll be married in.

signature here

Filed: Timeline
My fiance has expressed interest in taking my last name. In my state, he can legally change his name by declaring it on our marriage certificate. We can then use a certified copy of the marriage certificate to satisfy both social security and USCIS that he was previously so-and-so, and now has legally changed his name to such-and-such.

Whether you can do it on the marriage license depends on what state you'll be married in.

Thanks! Do you have any idea where I could find the "rules" about this for each state? We'll be getting married and living in Florida.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Contat the state where you'll be, get the marriage registration bureau and ask how it works (it should be one of the county's bureau where the USC lives)

Some states require the name change to be done in court, other are lighter on the subject.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Thanks! Do you have any idea where I could find the "rules" about this for each state? We'll be getting married and living in Florida.

One Source

US Marraige Laws

hi private

interesting subject...i did a google search and i came up with the following link...

NAME CHANGES IN FLORIDA

hope it is some help..google is a good start on these types of questions..

good luck in all you do together

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

As there's no place on the FL marriage certificate (at least not mine) for a man to indicate a changed name, you may need a court order.

I really apologise if this is the wrong forum, but none of the others seem to fit and seeing as this forum is about getting engaged/wed I'm pretty sure someone here could answer my question.

My partner and I were talking the other day and he mentioned that he doesn't want me to have his family name (he hates it) and would much rather have my family name. I'm personally not bothered either way. I'd just go from Miss Susan Bates to Mrs Susan Bates. It'd be him having to deal with changing bank account details etc :P

Q: How do we go about it after/before/during the wedding process? I have no idea what needs to be done and what this will mean for us and then the AOS process.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

For what it's worth, there was false information on that U.S. Marriage Law site about the requirements for a marriage license in Allegheny County; it's pitched to a more general audience and will say things about social security numbers being mandatory when they're not.

Call the county where you plan to get married. Explain your fiancé wishes to change his name; ask them if you can do this when you get the marriage license, and if not, what the procedures are that you should follow. It really shouldn't require a lawyer.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

From what I could find online, it looks like you can make a legal name change via the marriage certificate in Florida. Call your local clerk of court, though, to be sure!

signature here

Timeline
As there's no place on the FL marriage certificate (at least not mine) for a man to indicate a changed name, you may need a court order.

Oh, lame. On the Iowa form either person can change their name.

signature here