Ja&Ra

Help please! I need advices and answers...221g Asking for a second interview.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everybody! I'm so sad while I'm writting this and it is not weakness to say I have been crying so much. We are a same sex couple and we applied for a K1 visa in the consulate of Ciudad Juárez, México. My interview was the past thursday 28 of September, I answeared all the questions to the OC, she asked me very personal question like when I knew I was gay, if my parents knew that I was gay she was very rude with those questions and she laughed too. She asked me if my fiance was there with me, I told her he could not come because his work. At the end of the interview she gave me a 221g blue slip, in this sheet of paper says I need to schedule an additional interview, in short I need to schedule a second interview. The CO told me it was because my fiance was not there with me that day and I need to go with him the next time, she did not ask for more proofs and she gave me back my passport and my original birth certificate.

Why does she want a second interview if all our paper and documentations was correct? Please I will thank you all the advices and answers you can give me, I'm really sad and now we have to wait to schedule a new interview.

Hey, don't worry too much.

The CO's job is to make sure that the visa is being obtained for love (or bona fide relationship) instead of an immigration benefit.

Interviews can be personal, whether the couple is same sex or opposite sex. You can read many stories here. They will ask personal questions about the relationship in order to gauge if it is real or not. That is why she asked about when you knew you were gay — she wanted to make sure you weren't just pretending for a visa. They might ask other "rude" questions like "why are you marrying outside your religion" or "why do you want to marry someone so much older than you", depending on the relevant circumstances. In some consulates, there is an unstated rule that the petitioner must be present for the interview. I am not sure if Juarez is like this, but clearly the fact that your fiance was not there was a negative (Have you checked with other Mexico filers if this is a rule at that consulate?)

Go forward, prepare for a "stokes" (look this up) interview with your fiance, and hold your head high. Chances are good that you'll be approved after the second interview, if your relationship is real.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Thanks Harpa Timsah

We will prepare everything for showing them our love is real. A second interview for a K1 visa is not very common in this consulate, the most common is when they ask for more proofs and mail them to the consulate.

I really appreciate your words and advices.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

I am so sorry that the officer was rude. They are, after all, people. Maybe she was having a bad day, or it may even have been that she is a bit homophobic. :( If this is the case though, you have the law on your part!

Try to relax. I wish you the best on your next interview. Go with your fiance, and I would also take additional proof, even if she didn't ask for any. If your love is real they'll have to approve it. I also hope you get a different officer next time. Good luck!!

Edited by agnesita84

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hey guys! We got it, our K1 visa was issued the December 6th, The second interview was nice, I was nervous at the beginning but then I felt so confortable because our relation is real. It was exactly how you told me the CO (A nice woman, no like the first one) interviewed us separated. She took more time with my man, but appently we had the same answers in all her questions. Then we spent a nice week together, now we are ready for the next step. I really appreciated your advices and wishes. I'm here for helping other people in the same situation. YAY!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the K-1 Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.