19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey everyone.

Here is my situation:

I haven't filed taxes for the past 7 years because I've been living in the Philippines.

I am having a family member as my joint sponsor.

Am I still required to report any w2 and 1040 forms I have? Those would be from nearly 10 years ago if I can retrieve them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

even if you lived abroad, you were supposed to file taxes, unless you didn't work or you income wasn't enough to file taxes

you will need to attach a letter explaining why you weren't required to file taxes

living abroad isn't an excuse

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You don't need W2s, as you need to show proof of having filed taxes fro the last 3 years, and you don;t have any W2s for then. But you DO need to show you field taxes as a non-resident (you won't need to pay anything, but you do need to file).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

As stated in the I-864 instructions, you provide the Total Income from the last 3 years where it asks on the form, and submit the most recent tax return/transcript, or you provide a statement explaining why you were not legally required to file for any of the last 3 years you did not. If you were required to file any of the last 3 years, then you need to file the back taxes before submitting the I-864.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

How do I go about collecting this information since I no longer have any of my tax forms from 10 years ago.

The I-134 and I-864 requires you to have file US tax returns for the last 3 years or a valid excuse as why you were not required to file. The US Government requires US citizens living abroad to file a US tax return if they make more than the personal exemption and deduction amount even if nothing is earned in the US.

Your information from 10 years ago is not needed.

You need to provide US tax returns for the last 3 years or include a statement why you were excused from filing (i.e., did not make over the personal exemption and deduction amount) with the I-134 and the I-864.

Edited by Jojo92122

Timeline

How do I go about collecting this information since I no longer have any of my tax forms from 10 years ago.

Did you read what I wrote in post #5 above? Nowhere does it ask for 10 year old tax information. Read the I-864 instructions.

As stated in the I-864 instructions, you provide the Total Income from the last 3 years where it asks on the form, and submit the most recent tax return/transcript, or you provide a statement explaining why you were not legally required to file for any of the last 3 years you did not. If you were required to file any of the last 3 years, then you need to file the back taxes before submitting the I-864.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You backfile taxes for the last three years.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

I was a student for a while then technically unemployed from 2014-2015.

Actually I did freelance work so my receipts are all on PayPal.

Can I make a make a letter stating that I was a student abroad within the past 3 years which is why I didn't file taxes?

I was a student for a while then technically unemployed from 2014-2015.

Actually I did freelance work so my receipts are all on PayPal.

Can I make a make a letter stating that I was a student abroad within the past 3 years which is why I didn't file taxes?

No. Being a student abroad does not excuse you from filing US tax returns.

How much income did you earn in 2013, 2014, and 2015? Making below the reporting threshold is what is important in regards to whether you are exempted from filing tax returns. Being a student abroad has nothing to do with this.

Money you made from freelance work is income.

Edited by Jojo92122

Timeline

Ok I understand.

Say if I didn't have an income like some of the Fil Ams going to school, what would one need to do?

I'm just wondering if that was the case.

In my own scenario, I'm in the process of setting up an online business. Should I write a letter stating that?

Ok I understand.

Say if I didn't have an income like some of the Fil Ams going to school, what would one need to do?

I'm just wondering if that was the case.

In my own scenario, I'm in the process of setting up an online business. Should I write a letter stating that?

You are making this difficult. You do not understand.

You either had income in those years or not. What other Fil Ams has nothing to do with you or the I-864. You know if you made money or not.

The business that you are setting up in 2016 has nothing to do with filing taxes for 2013, 2014, or 2015.

Good luck. I don't think I can help you any further. You simply don't get it. You keep going off on things that don't matter and no one else brings up. We have told you what you need but you simply do not understand. You can benefit with working with an immigration lawyer.

Timeline

Yes because I feel that since I was a student during the time, that should be reason enough for me not to file taxes.

What if I was strictly a student with no income living outside the U.S.

Explain to me how I would file taxes.

Timeline

Yes because I feel that since I was a student during the time, that should be reason enough for me not to file taxes.

What if I was strictly a student with no income living outside the U.S.

Explain to me how I would file taxes.

But you did have income. You already stated you worked freelancing and have the receipts on your PayPal account.

Learn about the IRS requirements, and ask them about filing back taxes for prior years you did not. > https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.