Anitafeliz

Courthouse Wedding Yey or Ney

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm curious how you have over 3,000 posts but don't already know the answer to this question.

Many visa couples, if not most, end up going with courthouse weddings.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Good luck with your wedding. :) We got courthouse married in Denmark with no family or friends present (I didn't want to only have some of them there, it seemed unfair) and it was no problem. We didn't even take pictures because I hated my husband's shirt. :rofl:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

I've been married before, had a big wedding my first marriage. This last time, I had a courthouse wedding. Believe me, the courthouse wedding was MUCH more romantic! No flowers, just a pretty dress, he had a nice suit, the judge was a lovely woman, and we went to a great restaurant after. We had a blast. Courthouse weddings are the best! No fuss, no expense, just love...go for it!

Good luck to you! :D

aww thanks that's up my alley :)

def feel better after posting this thanks to everyone (F)

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Go with your idea. We couldn't plan as you had no guarantee when you'd get the visa. Then, family all over the globe and US, literally. We had a private beach wedding in Key West, then planned a 'celebration' three months later for family to attend. You save a gob of money, it's very intimate just the two of you, and there's no hurt feelings (Aunt Patty didn't get to sit in the front row, niece Jenny wasn't the flower girl, etc.). USCIS didn't care about it; as everyone has said, they just want a legitimate marriage certificate. We did send in a couple of photos. You'll be glad you got the legal part out of the way, and can then enjoy your life together. :) Congrats, by the way!!

thanks for your response :) def don't wanna leave anyone out or have pressure set on them having to fly to RI :)

I had a small courthouse wedding, cancelled BOTH BIG weddings, We had one planned for NY and one for Canada to please the family and I just got too stressed with them pushing their ideals and stuff - so we cancelled and did a courthouse wedding with 2 people. Was perfect! I still took photos, etc and my mom was there.

They did ask why the small wedding during my interview last week and I was 100% and just said the in-laws were stressing me out and he laughed and totally understood. He didn't ask for proof, photos, etc!

I say go for it! We loved one another so much we just wanted to get married and start our lives together!

good Anwer :thumbs: lol

Good luck with your wedding. :) We got courthouse married in Denmark with no family or friends present (I didn't want to only have some of them there, it seemed unfair) and it was no problem. We didn't even take pictures because I hated my husband's shirt. :rofl:

awww too bad for the pics :( that I do want :)

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

thanks to everyone for the reassurance :) we are very excited depending on how busy the courthouse is tomorrows prob big day ;)

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We had a problem because no family was present and why didn't I have my kids come with me to Ghana and get married? ! Because cost to much ! But they gave us a hard time about that

1. totally different visa

2. different country, customs, and culture

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm curious how you have over 3,000 posts but don't already know the answer to this question.

Many visa couples, if not most, end up going with courthouse weddings.

Yea, using the VJ search tool would have supplied a quick easy answer to this question also. Rarely used I believe.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Satisfy the legal requirements definitively and early, so that you can file for AOS/EAD/AP.

We did this.

Courthouse wedding was on Hallowe'en (!), and big bash was on Pearl Harbor Day (!!).

Mrs. T-B. was lovely at both.

And yes, please use the VJ search tool. Dozens of threads on this topic.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I didnt realize there was a set limit to questions being asked i got my answer from a large crowd who didnt mind my question Mods can close the thread thanks.

AND THATS TO EVERYONE WHO TOOK TIME TO ANSWER ;)

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread closed at OP's request.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.