bergdorfblonde

Did I make a mistake?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I haven't really been reading this site for a while and I was just noticing that it says in quite a few places that your fiance should get their SSN before you get married. We didn't do this! His POE was in Newark, NJ and he didn't get any SSN info there and we just assumed getting married ASAP was the best way. I'm confused at what my next step should be....

"It's okay to let yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back." - Mick Jagger

My K-1 Visa Timeline

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Berlin, Germany

I-129F Sent : 2006-06-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-07-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-09-19

NVC Received : 2006-09-26

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-10-26

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-08

Packet 4 Received : 2007-01-11

Interview Date : 2007-02-08

Visa Received : 2007-02-13

US Entry : 2007-02-15

Marriage : 2007-03-12

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 85 days.

Your interview took 227 days from filing.

Point of Entry Review

Event Date

Point of Entry : Newark

POE Date : 2007-02-15

Got EAD Stamp : Yes,Passport Stamp

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Harassment Level : 0

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I haven't really been reading this site for a while and I was just noticing that it says in quite a few places that your fiance should get their SSN before you get married. We didn't do this! His POE was in Newark, NJ and he didn't get any SSN info there and we just assumed getting married ASAP was the best way. I'm confused at what my next step should be....

Jomo got his SSN only after his AOS was approved and he got his green card.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Has he worked in the USA before? He may have one already. If not, from what I've been reading, he could apply for a SSN# 2 weeks after arriving in the USA. Hopefully, there will be more information for you from other posters to this thread.

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

His marital status has nothing to do with whether or not he can get a SSN. In fact, some counties require an SSN before issuing a marriage license (go figure how that'd work for K1ers depending on how slow the SSA can be).

SA4userbar.jpg

(I know you said you've been here a while, but for others - at least in Texas if it's different elsewhere - have to wait 10 days after arrival to apply - can apply on the 10th day.)

To prove your U.S. immigration status, you must show us the current U.S. immigration document, I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, issued to you when you arrived in the United States.

If you are an F-1 or M-1 student, you also must show us your I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status. If you are a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor, you must show us your DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.

source

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My fiance arrived on 3/18 at 7 p.m. and was able to apply for his SSN on 3/26 at noon. There was no problem - it was really fast and he was told he'll have his card in the mail in 2 weeks :star:

We're not getting married for another month but I wanted him to have his SSN already. In Florida you do not need a SSN to get married but he'll need it eventually to work, among other things.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

I think the reason people say to get your SSN before marriage is there is a lot of confusion on this subject at the Social Security office. We went through this, unfortunately. SS office said that K1 wasn't valid after marriage (which is a lie). As long as his K1 Visa is not expired (and is more than 2 weeks away from expiring), you will be fine. Do not mention marriage status on the application or otherwise in the office, and bring this part of their website with you just in case they give you grief:

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/36f...b4?OpenDocument

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Another VJer showed me this link and it confused us both...the following sentence is copied and pasted, and then when you go down, you see that a K1 is under this category.

The following lists nonimmigrants, by alien classification, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from INS. The alien’s I-94 will not have the INS employment authorization stamp and the alien will not have an EAD.

So it confuses me how everyone talks about applying for the EAD and how long it takes, when the SS site says it's not necessary.

Any ideas about this discrepancy?

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I applied for my SSN a month after I was married. Not a problem for me.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband didn't apply for his SSN until after we were married and got his green card. Took about 2 weeks and now he has one :)

We were married in Washington in August, we submitted our I-485, I130, I765, and I131 in Sept of 06 to the Chicago Lock Box, and got our Green card in January 07!!! Found this was much faster and easier than going through the K1 process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I think the reason people say to get your SSN before marriage is there is a lot of confusion on this subject at the Social Security office. We went through this, unfortunately. SS office said that K1 wasn't valid after marriage (which is a lie). As long as his K1 Visa is not expired (and is more than 2 weeks away from expiring), you will be fine. Do not mention marriage status on the application or otherwise in the office, and bring this part of their website with you just in case they give you grief:

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/36f...b4?OpenDocument

Quite correct about bringing Social Security Administration's own notice to any local SS office. We did and it cut off any issues at the start. Marriage DOES NOT change your K-1 visa status and K-1's are legally allowed to work in the USA and therefore entitled to a SSN. K-3s, K-2s and K-4s are a different matter. We did the SSN application at the local office 3 weeks after POE to be sure info was in the government data bases. The application ran through the local terminal and Maria's K-1 status (post-marriage) allowed for an authorization for a SSN. We tried our boy's K-2s to see what would happen and the computer system returned a message to the local office that K-2s were not allowed.

K-1 & K-2s TIMELINE_____

* met May-05, Maria & sons Manila, Philippines - Richard & daughters Toledo, Ohio

* Richard move to WI Sept-05, exchange extended visits Oct, Nov & Dec (05) & Feb (06)

* K-1&2s on file @ NSC 3-6-06, case xfer to CSC 6-1-06

* touches 6-2&3&14&15&17, RFE (IMBRA) CSC letter sent 6-23-06, touches 7-3&5

* RFE express return to/@ CSC 7-14-06, more touches 7-24&25, 9-5&6, NOA2 email notice rcvd 9-6

* visit Philippines & China Sept-2006, again see Maria & more extended family

* NVC assigns Embassy Case# 10-6; 10-12 letter rcvd 10-16 (sent 10-12) NVC receipt of I-129f

* rcvd letter 10-31 Embassy has paperwork, phone & embassy website 12-13 shows 2-13-07 interview

* Pgk 4 rcvd 12-21, St. Lukes Extension exams/vaccinations 1-10&11

* Manila interview 2-13; Delbros text message to Maria 2-6 - visas rcvd 2-19

AOS & EAD TIMELINE______

* P.O.E. Minneapolis & reunited in Milwaukee airport 3-4

* wedding 3-10 Plover, WI, applied for Maria's SSN 3-28 @ local office

* I-693A done @ civil surgeon office 4-4, Maria's SS card rcvd 4-16,

* mailed AOS (Chicago) & EAD (Nebraska) paperwork 4-21

* rcvd USCIS receipts of paperwork 5-2, posted wedding pics on VJ 5-3

* Maria's AOS biometrics appointment 5-22, son's on 6-5, no update on EAD status yet

* rcvd AOS appointment 5-26, set for 7-9 in Bloomington,MN office

* applied for Maria's WI state ID 6-5 & card rcvd 6-11

* AOS approved @ 7-9 interview, told to expect green cards 5-30 days

* USCIS confirms approved A#s rcvd 7-14, 2 green cards rcd 7-23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Another VJer showed me this link and it confused us both...the following sentence is copied and pasted, and then when you go down, you see that a K1 is under this category.

The following lists nonimmigrants, by alien classification, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from INS. The alien’s I-94 will not have the INS employment authorization stamp and the alien will not have an EAD.

So it confuses me how everyone talks about applying for the EAD and how long it takes, when the SS site says it's not necessary.

Any ideas about this discrepancy?

Hello. The Social Security Administration does say that an EAD is not necessary, BUT it does not go on to state that this situation is only good for 90 days. Too bad - they should be more specific. You should apply for the EAD as soon as possible if looking for longterm employment - as a K-1 applicant, we are. Good luck.

K-1 & K-2s TIMELINE_____

* met May-05, Maria & sons Manila, Philippines - Richard & daughters Toledo, Ohio

* Richard move to WI Sept-05, exchange extended visits Oct, Nov & Dec (05) & Feb (06)

* K-1&2s on file @ NSC 3-6-06, case xfer to CSC 6-1-06

* touches 6-2&3&14&15&17, RFE (IMBRA) CSC letter sent 6-23-06, touches 7-3&5

* RFE express return to/@ CSC 7-14-06, more touches 7-24&25, 9-5&6, NOA2 email notice rcvd 9-6

* visit Philippines & China Sept-2006, again see Maria & more extended family

* NVC assigns Embassy Case# 10-6; 10-12 letter rcvd 10-16 (sent 10-12) NVC receipt of I-129f

* rcvd letter 10-31 Embassy has paperwork, phone & embassy website 12-13 shows 2-13-07 interview

* Pgk 4 rcvd 12-21, St. Lukes Extension exams/vaccinations 1-10&11

* Manila interview 2-13; Delbros text message to Maria 2-6 - visas rcvd 2-19

AOS & EAD TIMELINE______

* P.O.E. Minneapolis & reunited in Milwaukee airport 3-4

* wedding 3-10 Plover, WI, applied for Maria's SSN 3-28 @ local office

* I-693A done @ civil surgeon office 4-4, Maria's SS card rcvd 4-16,

* mailed AOS (Chicago) & EAD (Nebraska) paperwork 4-21

* rcvd USCIS receipts of paperwork 5-2, posted wedding pics on VJ 5-3

* Maria's AOS biometrics appointment 5-22, son's on 6-5, no update on EAD status yet

* rcvd AOS appointment 5-26, set for 7-9 in Bloomington,MN office

* applied for Maria's WI state ID 6-5 & card rcvd 6-11

* AOS approved @ 7-9 interview, told to expect green cards 5-30 days

* USCIS confirms approved A#s rcvd 7-14, 2 green cards rcd 7-23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.