• Mmm.... Satan Con Queso
    • I Believe In Satan, But That's All
    • I Don't Believe in God (Got), Ergo No Satan
    • I Believe In God, But Not Satan
    • I Wear Aluminum Foil Underpants

150 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Oh, yeah, sorry for the ambiguity. I meant that Muslims are currently being openly persecuted by the government in the UK, with respect to veils. I'm not saying it's better in the US, where the terrorists these days are always Muslims on shows like 24, but it's not great in the UK either.

That is indeed happening, as it has taken place in France. I'm in two minds about - to me it seems to be an extension of British secularism, but as long as the rules forbid any overt religious dress I don't really have a problem with it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Yup, the UK has a very different approach to religion. Much more sedate and relaxed. Rarely does anyone ever preach or obviously try to convert you. There are no billboards or signs proclaiming anything about Jesus or God, unless on actual church property. It is, in my opinion, better. People tend to be more tolerant towards others who do follow a religious path simply because they don't advertise it to the extremes.

Unless you're a Muslim.

I'm Muslim. Let me know when you think I'm trying to convert you.

The Muslims I've met in the US and Kenya have never tried converting me. I've found some Christians in Kenya, though, to be even worse than Bible-beaters in the US. I have never had so many conversations with strangers as I did there in which I was asked whether I was "saved" before we even knew each other's names. I wish I knew how to say "it's none of your effing business" in Swahili, but fortunately the point came across pretty clearly in English.

APR 25, 2006 ARRIVE IN KENYA FOR PH.D. DISSERTATION RESEARCH

JUL 07, 2006 MEET AT CHECK-INN CLUB IN BUSIA, KENYA

SEPT 25, 2006 RETURN TO US

OCT 18, 2006 I129F SUBMITTED

OCT 24, 2006 NOA1 I129F

OCT 24, 2006 BACK TO KENYA

NOV 18, 2006 PROPOSED IN MOMBASA, KENYA (SHE SAID "YES"!)

DEC 26, 2006 NOA2 I129F

DEC 27, 2006 RETURN FROM KENYA

JANUARY, 2006 NVC CAN'T LOCATE PETITION

FEB 14, 2007 LETTERS SENT TO CONGRESSMEN

FEB 15, 2007 CIS CUSTOMER SERVICE SENDS EMAIL TO CSC REQUESTING TRACE ON MY PETITION (SHOULD HEAR BACK W/IN 45 DAYS)

FEB 19, 2007 APPROVED PETITION TOUCHED

FEB 21, 2007 EMAIL FROM CONGRESSMAN'S OFFICE SAYING PETITION HAS JUST BEEN RECEIVED BY NVC

FEB 23, 2007 PETITION SENT TO US EMBASSY IN NAIROBI, KENYA

MAR 5, 2007 PICKED UP PACKET 3/4 FROM EMBASSY

MAR 26, 2007 RETURNED PACKET 3 TO EMBASSY

APR 12, 2007 RETURNED MEDICAL EXAM RESULTS TO EMBASSY, HAD INTERVIEW, AND WAS APPROVED!

APR 26, 2007 PICKED-UP VISA FROM EMBASSY

APR 28-29, 2007 NAIROBI-ZURICH-CHICAGO-DETROIT-ANN ARBOR

JUL 3, 2007 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

JUL 30, 2007 MAIL AOS, EAD, AP APPLICATIONS

SEPT 8, 2007 CHECK CASHED

OCT 24, 2007 AP APPROVED

NOV 5, 2007 EAD APPROVED

NOV 6, 2007 EAD IN MAIL

JAN 22, 2008 INTERVIEW -- APPROVED!

Jacinta is a conditional permanent resident alien!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Thanks, mmarlo!

France is ruled by the French. They have the right to make rules for their society. When Muslims choose to move to a predominantly non-Muslim society, we choose to subject ourselves to non-Muslim rules. And so it goes.

Timeline
Thanks, mmarlo!

France is ruled by the French. They have the right to make rules for their society. When Muslims choose to move to a predominantly non-Muslim society, we choose to subject ourselves to non-Muslim rules. And so it goes.

That's true, but I think in the example of the UK, the 7/7 terrorist attack (and the riots a few years ago) has given rise to wave of anti-muslim sentiment. When you have a national Daily Newspaper running an orchestrated campaign to "ban the veil", it's a fairly good litmus test of public sentiment. Singling out people of one particular faith seems as divisive as the original comments about 'religious dress'.

France has its own problem, and as I understand it has something of a class issue between French natives and those citizens descended from North African immigrants.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Thanks, mmarlo!

That's true, but I think in the example of the UK, the 7/7 terrorist attack (and the riots a few years ago) has given rise to wave of anti-muslim sentiment. When you have a national Daily Newspaper running an orchestrated campaign to "ban the veil", it's a fairly good litmus test of public sentiment. Singling out people of one particular faith seems as divisive as the original comments about 'religious dress'.

France has its own problem, and as I understand it has something of a class issue between French natives and those citizens descended from North African immigrants.

:thumbs:

APR 25, 2006 ARRIVE IN KENYA FOR PH.D. DISSERTATION RESEARCH

JUL 07, 2006 MEET AT CHECK-INN CLUB IN BUSIA, KENYA

SEPT 25, 2006 RETURN TO US

OCT 18, 2006 I129F SUBMITTED

OCT 24, 2006 NOA1 I129F

OCT 24, 2006 BACK TO KENYA

NOV 18, 2006 PROPOSED IN MOMBASA, KENYA (SHE SAID "YES"!)

DEC 26, 2006 NOA2 I129F

DEC 27, 2006 RETURN FROM KENYA

JANUARY, 2006 NVC CAN'T LOCATE PETITION

FEB 14, 2007 LETTERS SENT TO CONGRESSMEN

FEB 15, 2007 CIS CUSTOMER SERVICE SENDS EMAIL TO CSC REQUESTING TRACE ON MY PETITION (SHOULD HEAR BACK W/IN 45 DAYS)

FEB 19, 2007 APPROVED PETITION TOUCHED

FEB 21, 2007 EMAIL FROM CONGRESSMAN'S OFFICE SAYING PETITION HAS JUST BEEN RECEIVED BY NVC

FEB 23, 2007 PETITION SENT TO US EMBASSY IN NAIROBI, KENYA

MAR 5, 2007 PICKED UP PACKET 3/4 FROM EMBASSY

MAR 26, 2007 RETURNED PACKET 3 TO EMBASSY

APR 12, 2007 RETURNED MEDICAL EXAM RESULTS TO EMBASSY, HAD INTERVIEW, AND WAS APPROVED!

APR 26, 2007 PICKED-UP VISA FROM EMBASSY

APR 28-29, 2007 NAIROBI-ZURICH-CHICAGO-DETROIT-ANN ARBOR

JUL 3, 2007 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

JUL 30, 2007 MAIL AOS, EAD, AP APPLICATIONS

SEPT 8, 2007 CHECK CASHED

OCT 24, 2007 AP APPROVED

NOV 5, 2007 EAD APPROVED

NOV 6, 2007 EAD IN MAIL

JAN 22, 2008 INTERVIEW -- APPROVED!

Jacinta is a conditional permanent resident alien!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Really? I'd say the UK is far more tolerant of Muslims than the USA.

Mags,

That's the way I remember it too, but I wonder if it's still the case after 7/7.

Well, I lived in London during the time of 7/7 and I never saw any anger or aggression towards any Muslims. The majority of sensible and educated people understand that the acts of the few do not represent the beliefs of the many. However, for a couple of months after the tube bombings there was a heightened sense of anxiety. If a young man got on the tube with a large backpack and he was of Arabic appearance, there were a few occasions where the tube carriage would empty out at the next stop.

People were scared, simple. It was simply a case of "save yourself". Not right of course to judge a person by his race, but understandable in that climate.

With regards to the current talk of banning full face veils. The Daily Mail is a bigoted and sensationalist paper, if you wish to read it then fair enough, but most of what it spouts is poppycock. And Tony Blair? Most people from the UK dislike him immensely AND he will be out of power in a couple more months. I doubt that there will be any banning of face veils, it is just something that has been blown out of proportion and jumped on by people who want an argument....like the Daily Mail.

I still stand by my views (and second hand experience) that Muslims are generally STILL liked and accepted into the majority of British society. By the time I moved from London 7/7 was a pretty distant memory and, to be honest, no one really blinks an eye at anyone's race, religion or culture anymore. It's a way of life there to see people of all walks.

Timeline

Mags,

That's the way I remember it too, but I wonder if it's still the case after 7/7.

Well, I lived in London during the time of 7/7 and I never saw any anger or aggression towards any Muslims. The majority of sensible and educated people understand that the acts of the few do not represent the beliefs of the many. However, for a couple of months after the tube bombings there was a heightened sense of anxiety. If a young man got on the tube with a large backpack and he was of Arabic appearance, there were a few occasions where the tube carriage would empty out at the next stop.

People were scared, simple. It was simply a case of "save yourself". Not right of course to judge a person by his race, but understandable in that climate.

With regards to the current talk of banning full face veils. The Daily Mail is a bigoted and sensationalist paper, if you wish to read it then fair enough, but most of what it spouts is poppycock. And Tony Blair? Most people from the UK dislike him immensely AND he will be out of power in a couple more months. I doubt that there will be any banning of face veils, it is just something that has been blown out of proportion and jumped on by people who want an argument....like the Daily Mail.

I still stand by my views (and second hand experience) that Muslims are generally STILL liked and accepted into the majority of British society. By the time I moved from London 7/7 was a pretty distant memory and, to be honest, no one really blinks an eye at anyone's race, religion or culture anymore. It's a way of life there to see people of all walks.

Blair will be out soon - but Brown is pretty "hard core" compared to Blair (I'm secretly glad I'm not going to be living over there while he's in charge), and he has already echoed Tony's and Jack Straw's comments.

The newspaper story with the "ban the veil" crusade was actually The Daily Express, but its of a muchness with the Daily Mail. That said, both of those newspapers have a very high circulation and are generally right leaning (in fact all of the UK tabloids and dailies are) - that should say something...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

after a case of 7/7, i'd not give a hoot :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Mags,

Blair will be out soon - but Brown is pretty "hard core" compared to Blair (I'm secretly glad I'm not going to be living over there while he's in charge), and he has already echoed Tony's and Jack Straw's comments.

The newspaper story with the "ban the veil" crusade was actually The Daily Express, but its of a muchness with the Daily Mail. That said, both of those newspapers have a very high circulation and are generally right leaning (in fact all of the UK tabloids and dailies are) - that should say something...

Oh yeah, the Daily Express is the poor man's version of the DM. Same old, same old...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Anyone seen Rob around after the Got Jesus debacle?

Has the captain been slapped with a law suit?:whistle:

08/06/06 - Married in India 3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_india_2fawm.gif

------------------------------------USCIS - CSS-----------------------------------------

09/09/06 - Submited I-130

09/19/06 - NOA1

11/27/06 - NOA2 - Approval

----------------------------------------NVC------------------------------------------------

12/07/06 - NVC Received and Case # Assigned

12/18/06 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032generated

12/19/06 - E-mail DS-3032 Choice of Agent to NVC

12/20/06 - AOS Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

12/22/06 - DS-3032 Choice of Agent Accepted (received e-mail conformation from NVC)

12/25/06 - IV Fee Bill Generated by NVC

01/03/07 - ASO Application generated by NVC

01/06/07 - IV Fee Bill Received (snail mail)

01/08/07 - IV Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

01/12/07 - ASO Application received (snail mail)

01/13/07 - ASO I864-EZ application sent to NVC priority mail (3 day delivery)

01/15/07 - DS230 Generated

01/18/07 - DS230 sent to NVC - overnight delivery by USPS

01/26/07 - DS230 finally received 11 days after it was generated.. can anyone say snail mail..

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE AT NVC

02/28/07 - Case left NVC

03/03/07 - Case received at Mumbai Embassy

05/22/07 - Medical Interview Breach Candy Mumbai

05/24/07 - Interview date at Mumbai consulate - APPROVED!

06/02/07 - Mumbai - Paris - Atlanta - Charlotte. Departs June 1st 4.45am EST Arrives June 2nd 4.12pm EST

07/10/07 - Received Conditional Greencard. Still waiting on the SSN

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

tHINKING HES GONE :whistle:

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

• 7 months later...
:ot2:

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835