vorpalswrd

Polyamory and K-1 visas

191 posts in this topic

The practice of polyandry is an interesting concept. I would find it unusual for most western males accepting that role but I would guess there is always an exception to the rule. This will be interesting to watch. :whistle:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I would find it unusual for most western males accepting that role

It's very simple:

Girl loves Guy A and Guy B

Guy A loves Girl and Guy B

Guy B loves Girl and Guy A

:whistle:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I would find it unusual for most western males accepting that role

It's very simple:

Girl loves Guy A and Guy B

Guy A loves Girl and Guy B

Guy B loves Girl and Guy A

:whistle:

What about the "what could happen" factor after the arrival of beneficiary? You forgot 4 outcomes of the situation:

Girl loves Guy A and says "Goodbye" to Guy B :blush:

or

Girl loves Guy B and says "Goodbye" to Guy A :blush:

or

Guy A loves Guy B and vice-versa. Both say "Goodbye" to Girl. :yes:

or

Girl, Guy A, & Guy B all say "Goodbye" to each other.

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

The practice of polyandry is an interesting concept. I would find it unusual for most western males accepting that role but I would guess there is always an exception to the rule. This will be interesting to watch. :whistle:

Its definitely not for everybody. You have to be willing to let go of jealousy and possessiveness. Not everyone can do that.

For more reading on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Sorry for the long rambling post but it can be hard to explain my situation. Everyones replies have been very helpful so far. I was thinking about leaving my bf out of it and then I wondered how much they would want to know about my household situation i.e. who I live with, how I pay for my housing if I dont work, etc. And no, I have no intention of marrying my bf here in the states. I did not originally want to post this subject here as I knew some people would be offended by it but I have had no luck in more...alternative lifestyle communites. Someone had mentioned in a post from late 2006 about a poly couple that was on this site several years ago but the archives dont seem to go back that far. Once again thenk you for the help. Also, one last question, does anyone think that an attorney for this matter would be helpful due to my unique situation. I obviously want to be as honest as I can to the US Governement about myself but I do worry about proving a bona fide relationship.

I don't think your situation is that unique. I don't think an attorney can shed any extra, helpful light on it. To get the best advice, look at your situation purely economically (and from a tax-law) perspective and leave any/all of your personal philosophy on love out of it because your question's answer doesn't rely on it! Find a co-sponsor that can help out. And as for other questions about how you support yourself - so long as you have the appropriate sworn I-134s and the math works out, you'll probably be just fine.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline
Two slices with jam and extra jelly in the middle.

:lol::lol: :lol:

What about the "what could happen" factor after the arrival of beneficiary?

I would venture to say there are as many "what could happens" for them as there were for all of us, but it's not really up to us to discuss it, is it?

After all, this wasn't posted as a hypothetical situation in "Off Topic" but rather as a real life situation and it's effect on the immigration process for these two individuals....

Edited by ivona

Naturalized! Yeah!

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Its definitely not for everybody. You have to be willing to let go of jealousy and possessiveness. Not everyone can do that.

It's definitely not for everybody. Jealousy and possessiveness aren't the only things. There's more than likely to be anger or disgust having to sleep in a wet spot made from someone else! :P

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Timeline
I don't think your situation is that unique. I don't think an attorney can shed any extra, helpful light on it. To get the best advice, look at your situation purely economically (and from a tax-law) perspective and leave any/all of your personal philosophy on love out of it because your question's answer doesn't rely on it! Find a co-sponsor that can help out. And as for other questions about how you support yourself - so long as you have the appropriate sworn I-134s and the math works out, you'll probably be just fine.

As is often the case, I agree with TD's assessment.

For everyone else having fun with it, remember that your relationship looks weird to someone else. Do you enjoy having to defend it? (not much, by what I read here every day)

There have been other polyamory couples who have succeeded with immagration in the past; it doesn't seem to be an immigration issue (becasue there is nowhere it comes up).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

On further inspection:

I agree with the idea that we're being trolled.

I think "polyamory" is a cute term for "eh, don't feel like choosing, so if they're okay with it, all the better for me" - it's no more distasteful to me than some other stories I've read here, or other couples I know in life - but, of course, when it comes down to it, as ever, my opinion seldom matters as far as the law is concerned.

"Common law marriage" along with "community property" is among the least understood concepts in law. It doesn't exist in most states the way people think it does. I don't believe any state still maintains a law underwhich merely living together (regardless of tax filings) makes it a legal marriage. A legal marriage *might* be found for purposes of estate distribution at death in some states - but don't confuse legal fictions used to distribute property with anything that would matter on this message board.

Anyway - back to the trolling issue - as I posted above - there's nothing about her question that really REQUIRED her to disclose her domestic situation.

I'd recommend we all go hands-off here and let her take her chances if she so desires.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

who in their right mind would wanna clean dirty socks from TWO men????? oy.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For more reading on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory

That implies that wanting to be committed to only one person for life is negative, since jealousy and possessiveness are commonly viewed as negative traits.

I'd say you'd have to be willing to give up being fully committed.

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Timeline
On further inspection:

I agree with the idea that we're being trolled.

Oops, now we disagree! :hehe:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Anyway - back to the trolling issue - as I posted above - there's nothing about her question that really REQUIRED her to disclose her domestic situation.

I'd recommend we all go hands-off here and let her take her chances if she so desires.

That's what I said (minus the troll, which seemed obvious).. :yes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.