vorpalswrd

Polyamory and K-1 visas

191 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi, my name is Angelique and I have been in a polyamorous relationship for 2 years and counting. For those who don't know what that means...welll, you won't be able to help me with my question anyway, but it means I love more than one person. My first love has been with me for 8 years and we met in high school. My legal issue comes with my second love as he was born and raised in New Zealand where he currently still resides. I am planning to obtain a K-1 visa for him so he can immigrate to this country and we can marry so that he can live here legally with me and my boyfriend. As the U.S. petitioner I need to make 125% above the poverty line to sponsor him. I am a full time grad student so I need a joint sponsor. Either of my parents could qualify for this but I think my boyfriend would be the best choice as I am a dependent on his taxes and live soley with him. I suppose my question boils down to if anyone can tell me about similar stories they've heard. point me in a helpful direction or any other help anyone has. Thank you much.

P.S. if you don't agree with my lifestyle please don't post it here as it's just not helpful

(sorry bad experiences)

Hi, my name is Angelique and I have been in a polyamorous relationship for 2 years and counting. For those who don't know what that means...welll, you won't be able to help me with my question anyway, but it means I love more than one person. My first love has been with me for 8 years and we met in high school. My legal issue comes with my second love as he was born and raised in New Zealand where he currently still resides. I am planning to obtain a K-1 visa for him so he can immigrate to this country and we can marry so that he can live here legally with me and my boyfriend. As the U.S. petitioner I need to make 125% above the poverty line to sponsor him. I am a full time grad student so I need a joint sponsor. Either of my parents could qualify for this but I think my boyfriend would be the best choice as I am a dependent on his taxes and live soley with him. I suppose my question boils down to if anyone can tell me about similar stories they've heard. point me in a helpful direction or any other help anyone has. Thank you much.

P.S. if you don't agree with my lifestyle please don't post it here as it's just not helpful

(sorry bad experiences)

WOW...... No I mean BIG WOW!!!!!! Well I have been around here since Oct of 2006 and all the post I have looked through I have not seen one case, as of yet, like yours. But to answer your question......Yes, I believe your BF can be the co-sponsor. I really do not care what your lifestyle is, but I hate to say, I am really thinking that you might get a lot of ###### here because of it, especially because other people are only with one person, and here you have two, and one is from another country, they might be bashing you for taking up more time for their loved ones to get here, by geting a second man from another country instead of picking one from where you are. I am not ragging on you, cause like I said I could care less what your life style is. But don't get depressed if you do not get a nicer respond to your questions. I really wish you good luck and I hope your decisions in life are what you hoped them to be. WJR

(sorry bad experiences)

You know I am not sure, but I think you getting married and have a BF already that claims you as a dependent is illegal. Not sure but for some reason I think I have read something about this but I can not remember if it was due to immigration issues or an article or something, someone help me out here, am I right????

Well, there have been recent high profile cases among Mormons in the U.S. in which case a man has many wives.

These men are facing court proceedings and jail time. In this case U.S. Law overrides "freedom of religion".

And I believe that Muslims are limited to the "primary wife" as the only one accepted for immigration purposes by USCIS.

Edited by beameup

:o OH SNAP! This thread should be interesting...

I would assume that USCIS has some sort of policy against polyamory. Its going to be very hard to prove you have a bonifide relationship when you already have a boyfriend. Red flags will fly.

Hope you find the answer you are looking for. You playa. :lol:

21FUNNY.gif

For the most part I think you should be fine. As long as you don't also plan to marry your boyfriend here as well. The US has laws against polygamy but not this.

I think you should leave your boyfriend out of this as much as possible, and have your parents co-sponsor. The USCIS doesn't need to know about your boyfriend, and to save yourself from questions of a bona fide relationship its best not to complicate it by mentioning him. Its not illegal, but there is a cultural bias against it. Don't make it anymore complicated than you need to.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree. Use one of your parents, and don't bring your boyfriend into the equation at all. Another problem is the fact that in order to cosponsor your fiance, your boyfriend would be submitting tax returns in which I assume he has claimed an unrelated person (you) as a dependant, based on what you wrote. But I'm a little confused on that point. Good luck.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Sorry for the long rambling post but it can be hard to explain my situation. Everyones replies have been very helpful so far. I was thinking about leaving my bf out of it and then I wondered how much they would want to know about my household situation i.e. who I live with, how I pay for my housing if I dont work, etc. And no, I have no intention of marrying my bf here in the states. I did not originally want to post this subject here as I knew some people would be offended by it but I have had no luck in more...alternative lifestyle communites. Someone had mentioned in a post from late 2006 about a poly couple that was on this site several years ago but the archives dont seem to go back that far. Once again thenk you for the help. Also, one last question, does anyone think that an attorney for this matter would be helpful due to my unique situation. I obviously want to be as honest as I can to the US Governement about myself but I do worry about proving a bona fide relationship.

Filed: Other Timeline

A competent immigration attorney would be helpful.

USCIS sometimes conduct home investigations. They are not common in the US but they do happen.

And DHS do take phone calls from US Citizens who like to report immigrants for illegal entry or other fraud issues. Something that could be over your head for several years.

Sorry for the long rambling post but it can be hard to explain my situation. Everyones replies have been very helpful so far. I was thinking about leaving my bf out of it and then I wondered how much they would want to know about my household situation i.e. who I live with, how I pay for my housing if I dont work, etc. And no, I have no intention of marrying my bf here in the states. I did not originally want to post this subject here as I knew some people would be offended by it but I have had no luck in more...alternative lifestyle communites. Someone had mentioned in a post from late 2006 about a poly couple that was on this site several years ago but the archives dont seem to go back that far. Once again thenk you for the help. Also, one last question, does anyone think that an attorney for this matter would be helpful due to my unique situation. I obviously want to be as honest as I can to the US Governement about myself but I do worry about proving a bona fide relationship.

An attorney might help, but if you choose to go that route, do your research. Some attorneys will take the case, but have little experience in family immigration issues, you may end up with bad advice or have problems/delays.

I don't think your US boyfriend has to be mentioned at all. In my opinion, if the USCIS or Consulate officials ask, he is just a roommate. Its none of their business as to what kind of relationship you have with him.

keTiiDCjGVo

My legal issue comes with my second love as he was born and raised in New Zealand where he currently still resides. I am planning to obtain a K-1 visa for him so he can immigrate to this country and we can marry so that he can live here legally with me and my boyfriend.

I figured someone would have said it by now.... Guess i am due the honor

What you are trying to do is called "immigration fraud". You are attempting to rape the US immigration policy by trying to obtain citizenship for another lover you've decided to take on. Its not that i agree or disagree with your lifestyle. That has nothing to do with the price of rice in China. Its the fact that nothing about your situation is bonafide or legitimate. And seeking advice about how to process this fraudulent claim on a family based immigration forum is downright insulting. As far as i know, I have yet to see DHS create a Cuckold Visa.

21FUNNY.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Matt,

I'm failing to see how the situation is fraud. They don't seem to be planning to marry solely for immigration benefits.

I agree. The OP wants to marry this man and live with him as her husband. There's no question on the application forms about agreeing to monogamy. Whether or not she has another boyfriend or if she intends to have one at some point is between her and her future husband. If they're both OK with it, then what's the problem? And she doesn't have to agree to be faithful in her wedding vows either, if she doesn't want to.

April A friend told me that she thought my ideal man lived in Wyoming or Montana.

May 17 Did search on match.com. Found no-one in Wyoming. Only wrote to one person in Montana...his name was John. He replied two hours later.

Jun 26 Flew to Missoula to meet him & a weekend trip turned into a five week visit...

Many trips between US, Canada & Europe.

March 31 During a meeting in Vancouver, John proposed & I said YES!!!

Jun 2 Finally sent off our I-129F & a few days later we received NOA1. I am now officially an alien bride-to-be.

Aug 22 Email notification of NOA2.

Sep 12 Received letter to say application would be forwarded to US Embassy.

Nov 23 Returned packet 3 to Embassy

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 1 Interview. APPROVED!

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Feb 8 Finally back home in Missoula, MT. I'm happy, John's happy & the cats are ecstatic - together again!

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 6 Sent AOS application

May 7 Honeymoon

May 23 NOA date for AOS, EAD & AP

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 15 RFE for AOS mailed

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 14 Interview. Success!

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 08 I-751 to remove conditions sent to CSC

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Jan 12 Received greencard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

How is it immigration fraud?

The USC petitioneer needs to be able to marry, and she is able to marry... I agree red flags might be flying because of the cultural bias involved, but ultimately- unless this is the case of just wanting to obtain a green card for this guy and then never see him again- she loves this guy and she wishes to marry him....if both of them then choose to live with the third person how is that USCIS business....

The questions are:

- is it a bonafide relationship? (and yes, it can be despite the other guy)

- is the USC petitioner legally able to marry?

- is the beneficiary legally able to marry?

I mean, let's turn the situation around a bit: what if this girl was living with another woman and if their life encompased all the elements of a romantic relationship, BUT if they lived in a state that does not recognize the homosexual union as even possible.... and the girl wanted to petition her boyfriend to come and marry her, and they would live with the other girlfriend....

It's not up to the USCIS to investigate on how the couple chooses to live or who they choose to live with....

There are plenty of swingers in the US, if it happens that a swinger couple is one that is together through a marriage visa/ green card does that make them commiting immigration fraud.... does that change the fact that they love each other, wanted to marry each other, and were both legally able to marry each other......

That said, I would leave th US BF out of it as much as possible when it comes to the immigration process

Naturalized! Yeah!

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.