hjha

Round-trip ticket for one-way flight

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been looking for flights from Casablanca to the US; Is there any issue with buying a round-trip ticket when my intent is not to use the return flight? I am asking this because the round trip-ticket is way more cheaper than a one-way ticket.

FYI: The Airline is Air France.

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Round ticket is fine :) I did the same and they never questioned it

K1 Journey

[*]03/08/2015 got engaged

[*]06/09/2015 Sent i-195f

[*]06/23/2015 NOA 1 Received

[*]07/20/2015 NOA 2 Received

[*]09/02/2015 Received case number

[*]09/02/2015 Received packet 3

[*]10/16/2015 Had medical

[*]10/26/2015 Had interview in london (I was in the embassy for 7 hours)

[*]11/04/2015 Approved!! K1 visa received

[*]

[*] Green Card/AOS

[*]03/01/2016 Flew together for the first time :D!!

[*]03/01/2016 Arrived in the US, Saint Paul,MN

[*]03/04/2016 Applied for SSN (name was entered wrong by immigration at POE will take 4 weeks for card)

[*]03/08/2016 Got married at courthouse

[*]03/12/2016 Sent off AOS/EAD/AP

[*]03/23/2016 NOA 1

[*]03/25/2016 SSN received ( after 3 weeks!!) Opened joint bank accounts and my own account,added name to car insurance

[*]03/28/2016 Biometrics letter received appointment 04/15 (early birthday present :D)

[*]Went back to SSN office to change name (name still wrong in the system wait 4 weeks again....)

[*]04/07/2016 Put Cv on job sites - indeed, monster etc

[*]04/08/2016 Attended interviews and got 3 job offers (All happy to wait for EAD)

[*]04/11/2016 Chose one job and contacted congressman to expedite EAD (needed to send a privacy form, all case receipts, letter asking why i needed it expedited(financial burden on company/ myself, job offer letter)

[*]04/15/2016 Biometrics completed (date on letter)

[*]04/15/2016 RFE for AOS all other cases put on hold (congressman told me no update from USCIS site)

[*]04/22/2016 RFE letter received

[*]04/22/2016 RFE sent back to lee summit first class letter ( Birth certificate of Joint sponsor)

[*]04/26/2016 RFE received case progress continues

[*]04/28/2016 Text received AOS case updated ( but no change to online status :()

05/06/2016 AP/EAD approved

05/16/2016 EAD/AP card received

09/26/2016 RFE received transfer 3025 medical to i693 form

10/22/2016 AOS approved no interview!

10/29/2016 Card arrived in mail

Removal of conditions

07/22/2018

If you do purchase the round-trip, be sure you save all your paperwork, and also be sure to CANCEL your return flight when you're sure you're not going to use it. Keep the reference number for the cancellation.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As everyone stated round trip is fine. This has been asked multiple times. Remember you can always use the search tool for answers to your questions too.

Good Luck!

Thank you guys for your responses.

The issue is in Morocco, passengers have to show their visa to the airline agent prior to boarding. So I was wondering if they could not allow me board when they see a K-1 visa implying no intention to use the return flight 2-3 weeks later.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

The issue is in Morocco, passengers have to show their visa to the airline agent prior to boarding. So I was wondering if they could not allow me board when they see a K-1 visa implying no intention to use the return flight 2-3 weeks later.

They just make money on it since they can sell you return home to somebody else again since you will cancel :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What? WHO? would not allow you on board?

Why would you have to show the airline agent your K-1 visa?

event.png

event.png

What? WHO? would not allow you on board?

Why would you have to show the airline agent your K-1 visa?

The airlines are required by the US to verify that the traveler has proper documentation to enter the US, otherwise the airline is responsible for returning the traveler to their starting point. My wife has to show her GC every time on the return flights to the US. Before Kazakhstan allowed USC 15 days visa free, I had to show my Kazakhstan visitor's visa before they would let me board the airplane in the US--now they just assume I am returning in less than 15 days or the Kazakhstani passport control gets to deal with it..

As long as you have a valid entry document to the US--i.e. tourist visa, spousal visa, fiancé(e) visa, student visa, etc., VWP, GC, or US passport--the airline will let you board the aircraft. Airline employees should not act as CBP agents and question why you have a return flight for a K-1 visa. I bought the return flight and put the return date at day 89 after her arrival. That way if things did not work out, she could return home. Fortunately, things did work out. Just remember to cancel the return part of the ticket as there have been horror stories here on VJ where the airline sold the seat, but forgot to remove the name from the manifest. Now that person had to prove they did not leave the country and proving a negative is very difficult.

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Try Qatar Airways, they have season tickets for as low as 700$ one way.

Also K1 is not required to have a return ticket. I know the issue at CMN where checking staff are not aware of all visa categories, they just assume. If you have a tourist visa, u are required to have a return ticket.

I always bring official reference to the airport, show them the B1, B2 are required a return ticket, but a K1 is an immigrant visa, therefore not required to have return ticket.

I once had this issue at Iberia Agancy in Casablanca where the agent told that I need to book a return ticket, he started arguing with me that my F1 needed a return ticket and they gonna stop me at the airport in Casablanca. I ended up sticking to my decision and got my self a one way ticket. At the airport they questioned what is an F1 -_- but they saw that the visa has 5 years and it has a university name on it, so they let it slide.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.