goobies

Cr-1 Vs K-1 visa

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Please, I am already fully aware of the requirements for both of the mentioned visas.

However, I do not know which one is best for our case.

We have lived together for a little over a year, in Uganda. I am the USC, and I have been living in Uganda since 2012.

As of now, we are not married. However, I have read on other threads that co-habing in an African country can be considered being married. On rent receipts and contracts, we are listed under one family name. Also on medical bills....my first name with his family name. We have called each other husband and wife on facebook and in phone calls (I came to the US specifically to apply for a visa and work to save up some money).

Now, I am worried that the CO may accuse us of being married, and so we have been discussing getting married in Uganda, and then applying for the CR-1. CR-1 seems a lot more intimidating than the K-1, and I am wondering if we are more likely to be denied a marriage visa than a fiancee visa. Keep in mind that I have been living in Uganda, and therefore not making much money at all. In fact, I have not had an income, but have been doing internships where I get free housing and food, as well as a small living expenses allowance. Over the past 4 years, I have not even made $2,000 in total from the allowances. I have come back to the US to work three times, for about 3 months each time. So I do have that money on my tax returns. Still, It is not anywhere enough to fullfill the Affidavit of Support requirements. I also do not have any domicile requirements fullfilled. I have no bills in the USA, no property apart from a broken down VW Beetle, and no assets there.

All of those things I don't have for the CR-1 visa are scaring me that we may not qualify.

Keep in mind, we have not actually gotten married yet!

So, from the info I have provided, is there anyone who can advise us on the best route to take?

With much humbled thanks,

The Goofy Goobers

Edited by goobies

*~*~*moved from "CR-1 spouse visa process and procedures" to "what visa do I need?" as OP is asking for help in deciding which course to take *~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not sure of the traditions in Uganda regarding marriage but this may be a situation of being too married for a K1 and not married enough for a Cr1. It happens.

Since you frequently use 'husband' and 'wife' and have even give her your last name on official documents, this could complicate a K1 to the point of wasteful money (and the K1 intimidated me because it seemed so much more involved than the Cr1 - check the guides for the steps).

The money problem and be overcome with a co-sponsor. Do you have someone in the States that can meet the income requirements for the I864.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

K1 from start to end of AOS is a lot more paperwork than the CR1. Is your fiancé used to working and providing? Then the Cr1 may be your ticket. Many people find the 3 months of not being able to work or often get a drivers license to be tedious and hard on their relationship. You can use a joint sponsor for the income requirements or move back to the USA and get a job.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

We really appreciate the information. I have another question:

How soon after our wedding can we send in our paperwork? Keep in mind this is Uganda....I feel that may be a detail that can have a lot of influence on timing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As soon as you have the official marriage cert to send in with the petition, you can send off the paperwork; you need not wait till you are back in the USA, you can send it via international post.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You can fine K3

But I would still say try CR1 / IR1 process time is same but K1 / K3 cost twice as much and wait for GC status change and such

Why not do DCF if that can be done from your embassy ( check with them or NVC website ). It wil be much faster

Want to Speed up NVC Process ?

Check Guides From Guide section for doccuments and list of stuff and follow this steps

Step 1 After USCIS NOA2 Gather all AOS / IV Package Documents In 3 weeks

Between USCIS Approving and NVC Case Number you have 2 to 3 weeks gather all AOS and IV Documents Get package ready.

Step 2 Obtain NVC Invoice and Case number.

​After 2 weeks of NOA2 Keep on Calling NVC every day to get case number And Invoice number

Step 3 Pay First Fee and DS261

After getting NVC Case Number and Invoice Number Log in to webpage Pay First Fee and Fill out DS261 Takes 24 to 38 Hr to get fee status paid.

Step 4 Conform Agent / Ds261 Over Phone and Sent out Documents

Once First fee turns Paid Online ( Usualy 24 to 48 hr) Call NVC And conform choice of agent over Phone If they won't keep on calling them Until someone will Or other fee won't be unlocked.Also Once you get Welcome letter on email Print out Document Checklist sheet And Sent in your documents to NVC

Step 5 Pay Other Fee and Fill out DS260 (Total time from DS 261 to here should be no longer then 15 days )

​Step 6 Conform Document delivery AT NVC And Ask them Processing Time..

Step 7 Check For CC ( Hopefully no REF )

Call them every other day 2 weeks from DS260 and Check status.. Also Check Online NVC Page If you have 3 N/A your case Complete! Congratulation you are almost done.

Step 8 48 Hr After CC Conformation Call NVC For appointment for interview

Congratulation On your NVC CC AND Good Luck with Interview

Need Help? Feel free to contact me Or Post in appropriate forum section

​Like my suggestion ?

Rep would be nice for help.

Help other and spread Knowledge!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Why not do DCF if that can be done from your embassy ( check with them or NVC website ). It wil be much faster

There is no DCF in Uganda, it is only available in countries whose US embassies have an in-house USCIS office, which are listed here: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-immigration-offices

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

There is no DCF in Uganda, it is only available in countries whose US embassies have an in-house USCIS office, which are listed here: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-immigration-offices

Then just file i130 it is best shot

Want to Speed up NVC Process ?

Check Guides From Guide section for doccuments and list of stuff and follow this steps

Step 1 After USCIS NOA2 Gather all AOS / IV Package Documents In 3 weeks

Between USCIS Approving and NVC Case Number you have 2 to 3 weeks gather all AOS and IV Documents Get package ready.

Step 2 Obtain NVC Invoice and Case number.

​After 2 weeks of NOA2 Keep on Calling NVC every day to get case number And Invoice number

Step 3 Pay First Fee and DS261

After getting NVC Case Number and Invoice Number Log in to webpage Pay First Fee and Fill out DS261 Takes 24 to 38 Hr to get fee status paid.

Step 4 Conform Agent / Ds261 Over Phone and Sent out Documents

Once First fee turns Paid Online ( Usualy 24 to 48 hr) Call NVC And conform choice of agent over Phone If they won't keep on calling them Until someone will Or other fee won't be unlocked.Also Once you get Welcome letter on email Print out Document Checklist sheet And Sent in your documents to NVC

Step 5 Pay Other Fee and Fill out DS260 (Total time from DS 261 to here should be no longer then 15 days )

​Step 6 Conform Document delivery AT NVC And Ask them Processing Time..

Step 7 Check For CC ( Hopefully no REF )

Call them every other day 2 weeks from DS260 and Check status.. Also Check Online NVC Page If you have 3 N/A your case Complete! Congratulation you are almost done.

Step 8 48 Hr After CC Conformation Call NVC For appointment for interview

Congratulation On your NVC CC AND Good Luck with Interview

Need Help? Feel free to contact me Or Post in appropriate forum section

​Like my suggestion ?

Rep would be nice for help.

Help other and spread Knowledge!

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks to all the insightful answers!

We got married two weeks ago, and it feels wonderful. We are now gathering all of our paperwork and trying to get an appointment with the Kampala Embassy. IF they approve it, we could actually file via DCF at the Nairobi field office. It covers all east African countries. I just need to first get the darn appointment scheduled and then gather all my supporting evidence of being a resident in Uganda.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.