hopeful 4 XMas

Tourist Visa Limit Date Stamp and Six Month Round Trip Ticket

32 posts in this topic

Ok here is the what we are thinking so you know how to answer the question. We are wanting my mother in-law to come from the Philippines for six months. As most know it is cheaper to buy a round trip ticket vs a one way coming and a one way going. Plus I am thinking Immigration would likely to give my mother inlaw the gull six months if she showed them that she had a return flight for six months later.

So does immigration stamp it like good for 180 days or say of she enters on August 15th would they stamp it February 15th. In looking at airline tickets one day difference can mean a difference of $50.00 to $00.00 dollars depending on which airline one flys and which airports.

Also she would be coming to Ohio, so depending on flights that we arrange for her, she would most likely go through immigration at one of the following airport LAX, ORD, DEN. Anyone with experience at these airports??

When my wife came here as a fiancée she working in Israel, I was with her and she came through JFK (December 2015) they were fast there but very professional and did their jobs well.

Is she coming on a visitors visa? If so, how long she stays is up to the immigration officer, on arrival. They don't necessarily give you 6 months.

If she is coming on a visitors visa, I don't believe she can travel on a one-way ticket either. They want to see proof of onward travel.

The only one of those airports I have come through was LAX, and I didn't like it at all. After that, I always came through SFO.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The maximum they will give her is 180 days, NOT 6 months. I would recommend buying a return ticket for a few days less (say, 175 days), in case there is a weather delay or cancelled flight, you don;t want her to accidentally overstay and be denied next time.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My inlaws came in June and although they are only staying six weeks, their I-94 says to return in December. That is 6 months.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Timeline

The maximum they will give her is 180 days, NOT 6 months. I would recommend buying a return ticket for a few days less (say, 175 days), in case there is a weather delay or cancelled flight, you don;t want her to accidentally overstay and be denied next time.

Do you even have a B2 visa?

You are giving false information, it is 6 months NOT 180 days. The proof is the 10 or so B2 entry stamps from the last year in my passport.

To answer the OP, does she already have the tourist visa? While the usual length given at the POE is 6 months, it is not guaranteed. She should be prepared to show how exactly she can take a 6 month holiday while still have strong ties to her home country.

First yes it is a tourist Visa.

Second I see a catch 22 here, they want to see a return ticket, but if you get a return ticket for say (as advised here) for 175 days and they decide they only want to give her 120 days, then we have to fight with the airlines.

WE want her to come for 6 months because my wife has not been home in almost seven years, I have never met my mother inlaw, she has not seen our 6 month old daughter. my wife is going to nursing school and will not be able to go over to Philippines until she graduates, school takes to much time. My family is scattered across the US and because eof my work schedule, wifes class schedule we will only be able to see them on holidays and we want her to have a chance to meet them. Plus my sister inlaw is coming over on a work visa and she wants to be able to see her on holidays. and that is wht she plans to tell immigration and her English is not that great, so I had planned on writing a letter for her to present to immigration

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I may be wrong about the 180 days vs 6 months, as with the Visa Waiver program it is 90 days, NOT 3 months.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Do you even have a B2 visa?

You are giving false information, it is 6 months NOT 180 days. The proof is the 10 or so B2 entry stamps from the last year in my passport.

To answer the OP, does she already have the tourist visa? While the usual length given at the POE is 6 months, it is not guaranteed. She should be prepared to show how exactly she can take a 6 month holiday while still have strong ties to her home country.

We are still working on it, my mother inlaw just had cataract surgery, she is supposed to get her passport this week. We have most of the documents put together within two weeks for her to apply for her visa. She is 65 and semi retired, she being able to take six months off should not be a problem

My inlaws came in June and although they are only staying six weeks, their I-94 says to return in December. That is 6 months.

what airport did they go through immigration at. Even though it should always be the same, sometimes the same agency at a different location may as an un-written policy stamp it differently

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Don't worry.

My 75 years old aunt from Vietnam had tickets for a5 1/2 months visit, and she was allowed in. In fact, she applied for an extension and stayed another 4 months. The extension approval arrived a few weeks after she left.

Edited by aaron2020

Don't worry.

My 75 years old aunt from Vietnam had tickets for a5 1/2 months visit, and she was allowed in. In fact, she applied for an extension and stayed another 4 months. The extension approval arrived a few weeks after she left.

Thanks, I jus read where we can get a flexible ticket for her in case plans change, I will have to call the airlines to see just exactly how that works as well, it seems like there is always a catch 22 somewhere

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We are still working on it, my mother inlaw just had cataract surgery, she is supposed to get her passport this week. We have most of the documents put together within two weeks for her to apply for her visa. She is 65 and semi retired, she being able to take six months off should not be a problem

Please don't book a ticket until she is approved for a tourist visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Visa first. I do wonder about having a MIL coming to stay for 6 months....

Also look into the cost and availability of travel insurance for such a long stay.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.