Jeniafrench

Moving to another country at NVC stage

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I apologize if this question was asked before on this forum. I couldn't find anything relevant.

We started the IR-1 process in March. We filed the I-130 and are accepting an approval in about a month from now (end of July). Both me (Russian citizen) and my husband (the USC) are now legally residing and working in Singapore. Without going much into details, we are thinking of leaving Singapore soon. He will go back to the US and I can stay back home in Russia while waiting for the green card approval. Ideally we would like to move in August / September. So right in the middle of NVC processing.

My question is if I-130 was filed from Singapore and our address was in Singapore, is that ok if I list my Russian address on all NVC forms? Will that guarantee that the interview and the documents will be sent to the embassy in Moscow and not in Singapore?

I could hypothetically fly to Singapore for the interview, if it comes down to that, but clearly I prefer not to.

Thank you very much in advance.

Jenia

Thanks for a reply! When do you think I should call? Right away when they receive my case?

Call the NVC that you would like to change consulates because you moved. People change all the time. Good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks for a reply! When do you think I should call? Right away when they receive my case?

After USCIS approval and your arrival at NVC takes about 2 weeks to get case# you would tell them then you need to assigned to Russia. They would then have you send in your proof of residency or nationality (your passport) to Russia.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Thank you very much!

After USCIS approval and your arrival at NVC takes about 2 weeks to get case# you would tell them then you need to assigned to Russia. They would then have you send in your proof of residency or nationality (your passport) to Russia.

Dont send them any documents or fill out any forms if you have a singapore case number. Wait until you get your Russian case number. Ive seen people do it both ways and there is ALWAYS less issues when you wait for the new case number.

They will say its fine, but they almost always mess up documents and forms.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thank you very much!

How much will changing countries slow the process? I'm starting to think that its better to fly back to Singapore other than compromising the speed of the process...

Thank you very much!

How much will changing countries slow the process? I'm starting to think that its better to fly back to Singapore other than compromising the speed of the process...

The last person lost maybe a couple weeks. 1-2. They didnt submit any documents.

I dont know how you got your residency in Singapore or what's required to keep it but you'd have to prove you have it to have the interview there.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

We're similar to you in that we filed in March expecting NOA2 sometime this month, but moved countries. We already did so a couple of weeks ago though while still at USCIS stage. The main thing is to remember to keep in touch with them and make sure the address change gets done (and confirmed). With regards to interviews, I was told I will automatically be scheduled for my interview at the consulate of my contact address....which will soon be NZ once they confirm my address change. As far as I'm aware they don't let you "choose" where to go, they just assign it based on your closest consulate, so whatever they have on file at that time.

Sounds like doing an address change sooner rather than later might be good so that NVC get the right address from the start before they assign a case number?

Got married: 26th Sep 2013 

I-130 Petition Process:

Sent petition to USCIS Chicago lockbox (via in-laws to put check in US$): 11 Mar, 2016

NOA1: 24 Mar, 2016 (email notification 30 Mar. Hardcopy 11 Apr)

Service Centre: NEBRASKA

NOA2: 3rd Aug 2016

Petition sent to NVC: 18th Aug 2016

NVC Stage

Case number assigned: 8th Sep 2016

Paid AOS Fee: 9th Sep 2016

Paid IV Fee: 14th Sep 2016

DS-260 submitted: 25th Jan 2017

AOS & IV Package sent: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite requested: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite approved (consulate only): 1st Feb 2017

Scan Date: 31st Jan 2017

Case Complete: 14th April 2017 (10 weeks 4 days)

Full expedite approved (bypass NVC to send file to embassy), however too late as I already had case complete 17th Apr 2017

Case arrived at Embassy: 21st April 2017

P4 letter received: 26th April 2017 (expedite at embassy stage so this came from the consulate, not NVC)

Medical date: 26th April 2017

Interview date: 4th May 2017 APPROVED!!

Visa received: 8th May 2017 

POE (entered the USA): 15th May 2017 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.