britinusa

How to apply for citizen for US children born abroad in the USA

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

no one has any idea what should be done, Passport office in USA say call US embassy in Uk, There has to be a solution besides having to go back to the USA but then I guess some of the fees these people are asking it might be cheaper

From the sounds of your last post it sounds like you are back in the UK. Are the kids in the USA or UK now? If UK, then start with filing for CRBA at the embassy and go from there.

Filed: Timeline

You are probaly in a bind. By law, a USC must enter on a US passport.

So? Nobody is talking about entering the US.

In theory, your children are here illegally, since they overstayed their visa/esta.

No they are not. US citizens cannot "be here illegally". The children are US citizens.

Be prepared to travel abroad since the CRBA might be necessary in your case.

Why? Whether someone has a CRBA or not has no bearing on their US citizenship.

At the minimum you might have to pay a fine.

No. There is no law providing for any fine.

Timeline

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful but not sure where to go from here. The only proof of citizenship for a passport is a CRBA or Certificate of Citizenship which can only be issued to persons in the US with legal status.

I hope someone with firsthand experience with this type of situation can help you.

Filed: Timeline

The only proof of citizenship for a passport is a CRBA or Certificate of Citizenship which can only be issued to persons in the US with legal status.

This is incorrect. A certificate is not necessary. Any evidence that your children have US citizenship (which in your case, is proof of the parent's US citizenship at the time the child was born, proof the child was born in wedlock, and proof that the US-citizen parent was physically present in the US for at least 5 years before the child's birth, including 2 years after the parent turned 14) is sufficient proof of citizenship to apply for a US passport. The Department of State will adjudicate the citizenship based on the evidence.

You probably went to a passport-acceptance facility like a post office that was not well-versed in passport requirements. Go to another place like a courthouse or go directly to a passport agency.

Timeline

The children had US citizenship from the moment of birth, and still have it. It's not derivative citizenship. It's citizenship acquired from birth.

Correct.

What do you suggest they show for proof of citizenship?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is incorrect. A certificate is not necessary. Any evidence that your children have US citizenship (which in your case, is proof of the parent's US citizenship at the time the child was born, proof the child was born in wedlock, and proof that the US-citizen parent was physically present in the US for at least 5 years before the child's birth, including 2 years after the parent turned 14) is sufficient proof of citizenship to apply for a US passport. The Department of State will adjudicate the citizenship based on the evidence.

You probably went to a passport-acceptance facility like a post office that was not well-versed in passport requirements. Go to another place like a courthouse or go directly to a passport agency.

They have all the things needed for a passport. A foreign birth certificate, marriage certificate, U.S. citizens parents birth cert., and need to write an affidavit of all residences for U.S. citizen parent. Crba isn't needed and the passport office was wrong. I agree completely with you.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I called the US passport office and they told me to contact the US immigration, They told me to fill out a N600 - and apply for a certificate of citizenship at a cost of $1200.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I called the US passport office and they told me to contact the US immigration, They told me to fill out a N600 - and apply for a certificate of citizenship at a cost of $1200.

I was going to ask you if you've looked into just filing directly for that.

They don't need a citizenship certificate... ARGH..

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html

If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to at least one U.S. citizen parent: Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240), Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or
FS-545), or your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the document is not in English), proof of U.S. citizenship of your parent, your parents' marriage certificate, and
an affidavit showing all of your U.S. citizen parents' periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.
You need the stuff highlighted in RED directly from the DOS passport application PDF https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/forms.html

Correct.

What do you suggest they show for proof of citizenship?

Exactly what it states on the application form as I highlighted above. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

NLR

thanks for the information, I will call them again tomorrow, now i have evidence from their own website - awesome

Foreign Birth Documents + Parent(s) Citizenship Evidence

If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s), but cannot submit a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, you must submit all of the following:

• Your foreign birth certificate (translated to English),
  • Evidence of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent,
  • Your parents' marriage certificate, and
  • A statement of your U.S. citizen parent detailing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth
Edited by britinusa

Timeline

They don't need a citizenship certificate... ARGH..

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html

If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to at least one U.S. citizen parent: Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240), Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or
FS-545), or your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the document is not in English), proof of U.S. citizenship of your parent, your parents' marriage certificate, and
an affidavit showing all of your U.S. citizen parents' periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.
You need the stuff highlighted in RED directly from the DOS passport application PDF https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/forms.html

Exactly what it states on the application form as I highlighted above. :)

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

no problem. I don't want the OP to think they have to spend a bunch of money they don't have to on either flights or citizenship certificates that aren't necessary! I'm not the cheapest one on the block but I hate wasting money. ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.