Lavender7

Petitioning for my mother

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello dear VJ members :)

I want to eventually be able to bring my mother to live with us in the States. I apologize in case there already are ton of answers covering this case and I still post this topic, but I couldn't exactly find any so please bear with me on this one. So I'm planning on getting my GC soon(one year or more), and I know since it will be through immediate family (my husband USC) I would be able to apply for my citizenship in 3 years. Would I have to wait to become a citizen to be able to apply a petition for my mom? Or can I do that after I get my GC? Can my husband as USC apply for her?

Thanks !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

you can apply when you will be citizen

but what do you mean by "able to apply for citizenship in 3 years"?

3 years rule works since the moment of becoming lpr

and your current legal status is in limbo... as it seems tourist visa overstay because of marriage?

so you might want to work on your legal status asap if you want to bring parents

they should totally visit on tourist visa tho... just in case if they will be homesick or just will not like it here.

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/naturalization-spouses-us-citizens

General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) of the INA, an applicant must:

• Be 18 or older
  • Be a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
  • Have been living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse, who has been a U.S. citizen during all of such period, during the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application and up until examination on the application
  • Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application
  • Have continuous residence in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization until the time of naturalization
  • Be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (also known as civics)
  • Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law

Oh, what a day, what a lovely day!

you can apply when you will be citizen

but what do you mean by "able to apply for citizenship in 3 years"?

3 years rule works since the moment of becoming lpr

and your current legal status is in limbo... as it seems tourist visa overstay because of marriage?

so you might want to work on your legal status asap if you want to bring parents

they should totally visit on tourist visa tho... just in case if they will be homesick or just will not like it here.

Lol, what are you talking about? Overstay because of marriage? I did not ever overstay. There is no limbo. I know I can apply for my citizenship after 3 years from the day I get my GC.

Your answer is completely irrelevant to my question. Thanks.

Edited by Lavender7

Timeline

So what's your legal status then if you didn't adjust?

Not like I care or anything USCIS rules are pretty straightforward

You can not apply for parents to become permanent residents as a GC holder

I didn't adjust because I haven't started my process yet. Didn't start because I don't want to yet. Simple as that. :) Once again completely irrelevant to my question. You could have just wrote last sentence from this answer would be perfectly enough.

She visited and left. Her husband left the USA with her and they have been living in her home country ever since. No overstay. Nothing illegal. No questions about her status.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

She visited and left. Her husband left the USA with her and they have been living in her home country ever since. No overstay. Nothing illegal. No questions about her status.

Hmm sorry about that then

user signature sounds misleading

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hmm sorry about that then

user signature sounds misleading

Why? Because it says "never been apart since"?

It also says they'll start the CR1/IR1 process in October. That points to a beneficiary living abroad.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Why? Because it says "never been apart since"?

It also says they'll start the CR1/IR1 process in October. That points to a beneficiary living abroad.

I live in the republic of Georgia - my home country. Both me and my USC husband are living here for almost two years. NEVER overstayed. :) And for any further random assumptions - We are by no means in a hurry to adjust my status. We are taking it slow.

Edited by Lavender7

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I live in the republic of Georgia - my home country. Both me and my USC husband are living here for almost two years. NEVER overstayed. :) And for any further random assumptions - We are by no means in a hurry to adjust my status. We are taking it slow.

I know that, Lavender7 :)

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

:pop: lavender ajajajaa I can't every thread people wanna get you what's really up....

In response to your question since you are coming on the Ir1 being married so long can you apply for citizenship right away? Avoiding the wait ? If you can that what I'd do...can't live with out my mommy

:energy:

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

:pop: lavender ajajajaa I can't every thread people wanna get you what's really up....

In response to your question since you are coming on the Ir1 being married so long can you apply for citizenship right away? Avoiding the wait ? If you can that what I'd do...can't live with out my mommy

:energy:

hi

nope, the 3 year rule still applies, you have to be a GC holder for 3 years, 90 days prior to the 3 years she can apply for citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.