HeavensAngel

Wife last name is husband first name ! Advice pls AOS

29 posts in this topic

Hi Vj Friends!

my wife received a call from SS Office this morning about changing her name .The guy went like so your ( my wife ) last name is going to be your husband first name ...she said yes ( he said he never seen that ,normally its husband last name ,which is going to be the wide last name too)

Later he said ok,just wanted to make sure .

But in Pakistani tradition wife takes husband first name as her last name ..

Did u experience same thing I'd u change your name ?

Also do h think USCIS gonna question this as well ,may be this is strange thing for them or will they be ok about it as my wife SSN. Card will have a new name ( as her last name as my first name )

Will it not delay my AOS process ??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Someone from Social Security caleed you on a Saturday???

i would not give out any information

these offices are closed Saturday

this sounds like a scam

Be careful as there are dishonest people out there who try every way possible to get personal information

federal offices are closed on Saturdays

and never answer quesitons over the phone when you can not verify the identity of the other person even if they say "this is my number call back"

I have never heard of SS offices calling and i have changed my last name 3 times and dropped my middle name once

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Generally, a person can change her last name to match her spouse's last name with the marriage certificate. US laws does not allow the person to take the spouse's first name as her last name. You will need legal authority to do so, and this may require a court order.

You can not use the custom in your country as the basis of a legal name change. You have to follow US laws.

Timeline

Are there any guideline or law which states that !

I never knew this and I already order the SSN.. And it's in process ..is there any way I can change it again ??

Google "name change marriage + state where you live" to find the relevant law.

There was no basis in the laws of your state for you to take your husband's first name as your last.

You need to correct your mistake with Social Security.

Google "name change marriage + state where you live" to find the relevant law.

There was no basis in the laws of your state for you to take your husband's first name as your last.

You need to correct your mistake with Social Security.

Thanks for your time ,but I am sure it's US. custom to take spouse last name as the wife last name ,but no where I find its a USA law .I Can't find that anywhere ...if someone than pls come forward and clear me in this.

Also the social security has no issue with my wife have my first name as her last name & isn't it a SSN card which is the basic thing to start any thing in USA ,like bank account/diving license/etc etc...

Please explain does any one still think it gonna b an issue with USCIS ..

Edited by HeavensAngel

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Google the laws of your state, or call your local courthouse where you purchased the marriage license and ask them if your state allows such a name change through marriage. It probably does not.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thanks for your time ,but I am sure it's US. custom to take spouse last name as the wife last name ,but no where I find its a USA law .I Can't find that anywhere ...if someone than pls come forward and clear me in this. There is no US law on this. There is only state laws. Already told you how to do the search. Google "name change marriage + the state where you live." For example "name change marriage california."

Also the social security has no issue with my wife have my first name as her last name & isn't it a SSN card which is the basic thing to start any thing in USA ,like bank account/diving license/etc etc... No. Just because your wife got SS to give her a card in an errant name, it doesn't mean she have a right to that name. You screwed up. Keep on using this name, then expect problems.

Please explain does any one still think it gonna b an issue with USCIS .. Yeah, it's gonna be an issue since you have no legal basis in any state law to take your husband's first name as your last name.

Fix your wife's name to what the law in your state allows, not what is customary in a foreign country.

If you want your wife's last name to be your first name, then go to state court and get a name change. That is the only legal way, and she can't just skip out on this.

Just because SS accepted your error, it doesn't mean your wife can legally use that name. USCIS is not going to accept that.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

May I ask if u are a lawyer?

I am, and they are correct. Your wife will need to petition for a name change through the court system and pay the fees. It can vary from $400 to over $1000.

My wife is USA citizen & she still are positive that this is US custom & this is not US law .

Does any one has heard of this that USCIS has an objection of such thing ??

Any one from VJ face such thing ?? Like husband first name as wife last name ??

Edited by HeavensAngel

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife is USA citizen & she still are positive that this is US custom & this is not US law .

Does any one has heard of this that USCIS has an objection of such thing ??

Any one from VJ face such thing ?? Like husband first name as wife last name ??

She's very wrong:

4. Make your given surname your middle name and take your spouse's last name.

Advertisement

Tate says this option is "a very popular trend right now." Guess my mom's a bit ahead of her time: In the Philippines, taking your husband's surname and replacing your middle name with your maiden name was common practice when she got married more than 40 years ago. She has since gone by Cynthia Salgado Rapacon.

Twenty years ago, another senior editor at Kiplinger's also became a trendsetter and took the name Anne Kates Smith. She had originally planned to keep her name, but an incident at her former company changed her mind: One day, the office received a call from a school seeking the mother of a child whose last name was unfamiliar to Smith's colleagues, and nobody could track down the appropriate parent to speak with the school. "I thought to myself, 'If I ever have kids, I want everyone in the family to have the same family name,' " says Smith. Of course, you'd have to drop your given middle name. Says Smith, "I've often wondered if my Mom is disappointed about that."

Keep in mind: changing your middle name may cost you extra. Some states California, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington will not recognize this change in the standard married name-change process. If you live in one of these states, you'll have to get a legal name change and pay those additional, associated expenses mentioned above in option two.

http://m.kiplinger.com/article/credit/T065-C006-S001-5-choices-for-changing-your-name-after-marriage.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.