tonyg279

picture instead of copy

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I can find no RFEs for sending a copy of a required divorce decree in that list. There were RFEs for not sending divorce decree, not having judge's signature on the document, not having all pages, not having decrees for ALL past divorces, etc. None of those were for sending a copy of the correct document.

You must've missed no. 26 in the list then. So yes, it happens (unless they're lying about it), so better to be safe than sorry.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No. 22 and 26 in the list said to have gotten an RFE for not being certified copies. They might lie, impossible for me to know. Better to be safe than sorry.

#22 says it was sent unsigned.

#26 does say they initially sent in a copy of the certified decree, however, USCIS occasionally loses documents, and we also do not know if what they sent was in fact a legible copy of their certified decree.

Out of the entire list, that was it, and those were both RFEs from 10 years ago.

It is perfectly safe to follow the instructions and provide a legible copy of your court documents.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

The point I was making is that it happens. And it does.

Timeline

You must've missed no. 26 in the list then. So yes, it happens (unless they're lying about it), so better to be safe than sorry.

It is your prerogative to send in an original straight from the court, but telling people they can't just send copies is incorrect. The instructions state you can, and most people have been perfectly 'safe' following those instructions.

You proved that it MAYBE happened once 10 years ago. That was it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

It is your prerogative to send in an original straight from the court, but telling people they can't just send copies is incorrect. The instructions state you can, and most people have been perfectly 'safe' following those instructions.

You proved that it MAYBE happened once 10 years ago. That was it.

I never said he can't. He can do whatever he wants, of course. As can anyone else, me included. :)

I just said people have gotten RFEs for it, so better send a certified copy to be on the safe side. Nothing he can do about it right now and I said "if" he gets an RFE, not that he absolutely will get an RFE.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I made color copies for the I-129F when I submitted the original package, no RFE and approved. At the interview I took the Original Certified papers, initially at the interview they retained the documents, but when she was notified that her passport and visa were ready they were all returned when she picked up everything.

Just stating how our process is going remember each journey is different.

Timeline

I never said he can't. He can do whatever he wants, of course. As can anyone else, me included. :)

I just said people have gotten RFEs for it, so better send a certified copy to be on the safe side. Nothing he can do about it right now and I said "if" he gets an RFE, not that he absolutely will get an RFE.

Your post, #7, told them they can't just make a copy. But yes, they can. The seal won't be raised on a copy. They just want to see a legible copy of the entire decree, that is properly signed by everyone and certified by the court.

One person 10 years ago, that we do not even know the details of their old case, is not what I would call, 'people get RFEs for it'.

Anyway, once again, to the OP and anyone else reading this thread, it is perfectly ok to follow the instructions and send in a copy of your divorce decree. Just make sure it is one that is certified as a true copy of your decree, and that you send a legible copy of the entire thing.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

No. 26 did not list a reason why there was a RFE for a certified copy. The defect could have been an unsigned decree, missing pages, etc. You are reading the defect to be a copy to fit your argument.

Please show us where the RFE for a certified copy where USCIS would not accept a copy of a complete divorce decree.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Please show where anyone got an RFE for a certified copy because USCIS would not accept a complete copy.

No. 26 does not list a reason for the RFE.

Timeline

Nope. Mystery solved by the advanced search option on this site. The RFE was NOT for just sending a copy. See the post. It had no stamp. > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/4725-the-rfe-master-list/page-9#entry524448

There are NO RFEs for sending in copies.

I was questioned about my certified copy in my K1 interview in Montreal. The stamp was very lightly pressed and the CO asked if I had a certified copy. I told him that's what he had; he had to look really closely to see the stamp's imprint. It was fine once he saw it. Of course i have no idea what would have happened if it was just a copy...

As far as OP's question goes, I would think a picture of the decree would concern the CO because the picture could be edited and then printed. He didn't even submit a copy; he submitted a printed picture. I guess OP will find out eventually.

2015-03-07: Got engaged (L)

2015-03-30: Sent I-129F to Dallas lockbox

2015-04-14: NOA1 Packet received, sent to CSC

2015-05-07: NOA2 Approved!

2015-06-15: Received Packet 3 by mail

2015-06-17: Sent Packet 3 to Consulate

2015-07-14: Received Packet 4

2015-08-10: Medical in Toronto

2015-08-16: Received medical envelope

2015-08-24: Montreal interview- APPROVED!

2015-08-27: Visa arrives at Loomis location

2015-08-28: Visa in hand!

2015-09-17: Entered USA

2015-10-23: Married!

2016-01-11: Sent AOS Package I-485, I-765, I-131

2016-01-21: NOA1 Package received

2016-02-19: Biometrics

2016-04-01: AOS interview- APPROVED!

2016-04-07: 2 yr cond green card in hand

2018-03-12: sent ROC

2018-03-19: NOA date, 2018-03-24 letter rec'd

2018-05-18: Biometrics appt waived

2019-06-04 New biometrics letter received

2019-06-10 Biometrics

2019-06-18 ROC Approved
2019-06-25 10 year Green Card in hand

Timeline

I was questioned about my certified copy in my K1 interview in Montreal. The stamp was very lightly pressed and the CO asked if I had a certified copy. I told him that's what he had; he had to look really closely to see the stamp's imprint. It was fine once he saw it. Of course i have no idea what would have happened if it was just a copy...

As far as OP's question goes, I would think a picture of the decree would concern the CO because the picture could be edited and then printed. He didn't even submit a copy; he submitted a printed picture. I guess OP will find out eventually.

The instructions for the I-129f states to send in copies unless the originals are requested. No originals are requested with the initial filing, so only copies should be sent in.

At the interview, originals and certified copies are necessary. It's in the interview instructions.

Photocopies can also be manipulated. A modern copier makes a picture scan of the original, so it's the same thing as taking a picture.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

This post is about what is required for the I-129F petition, not the K-1 visa interview. What is needed for the initial I-129F submission and what is needed for the K-1 visa interview are two separate things. For the interview, you should take originals in case the CO wants to see them. They do not always ask for originals of everything, but it is best to have them just in case. For the I-129F petition, copies are all that is needed and required. A CO is not looking at the initial filing of the petition. After it is approved and the OP is applying for the K-1 visa, then the CO can decide if they want to see the original document or not.

The OP took a picture and printed it out. It would look about the same if they scanned in the document and printed it out. It is still a copy. As long as it is a legible copy, it will do. See the I-129F instructions, that were also posted in this thread too.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.