JohnCAL

Why the custom officer at LAX gave my fiance a hard time?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The interview in HCMC lasted 5 minutes. The custom officer in LAX took more than 15 minutes asking my fiance numerous questions about me. Is this common or my did my fiance ran into someone who overstepping his authority?

I'm American they question me on entry everytime...maybe someone was bored today...hey she's home yet congrats :dancing:

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: Timeline

It really depends on who is doing the interview at the consulate and customs as to how long and what kind of questions are asked. At least she is home. Just wait until the I-485 adjustment of status interview. I hear they can ask you really really personal questions to see if you are living together and having a close relationship.

Timeline

Not uncommon. Detroit POE was slow and lots of questions. They can do whatever they want. As long as you get past them, no worries. In America, best to keep walking and don't look back. Glad you are here - congrats! :dancing:

At least she didn't spend 15 mins in Area 51...she is an alien after all :)

May 7, 2014 - I-130 sent to Chicago, IL Lockbox

May 12, 2014 - Case recieved at Chicago, IL.

May 13, 2014 - Case accepted. Received LIN#. Case forwarded to USCIS, Nebraska. i-797 hard copy received shortly after.

Timeline

I'm not surprised. My wife had no problem at LAX, but she was later given a VERY hard time at the DMV when she applied for an ID card -- and was refused! The Hispanic manager questioned her Visa and threatened to take it away. She ended up taking the drivers test at another DMV, where she passed and got her drivers license without a problem.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Typical of Homeland and customs, but each POE is different. Just be glad she made it here bro.

K-1 Visa Timeline

I-129F Received : 2014-08-29

NOA1 : 2014-09-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-10-07

NVC Received : 2014-10-30

Paid visa fee $265 : 2014-11-19

Submitted DS-160 Form 2014-11-19

Interview scheduled - 2015-1-22

Visa Issued and in Hand on 2015-1-31!!       

AOS Timeline

Mailed out AOS Package to USCIS to Chicago Lockbox with tracking and signature 2015-05-09

Received email and text notification of AOS package 2015-05-15

Received hard copy of NOA1's for 3 AOS packet 2015-05-21

Successful Biometrics walk in SF Field Office on 2015-06-03

Got email notification AOS interview scheduled on 2015-09-03

Green Card in Hand - 2015-10-14!!! YAY!!!

I-751 ( ROC )

July 8, 2017 mailed I-751 packet via USPS Priority Mail with Tracking #

July 10th, 2017 I-751 Package was delivered to PO Box to USCIS Laguna Niguel

July 12, 2017  Check cashed from CSC

July 13, 2017 Received NOA1 in the mail, NOA1 Dated July 10th

February 26, 2018 case transferred to local office

August 17, 2018 Received new extension letter

September 19, 2018 Case transferred and new office has jurisdiction

September 24th, 2018 Received case transfer notice in the mail to Texas Center

October 17, 2018 Card in Production APPROVED!!! WHOO-WHOO!!!!:dance::dance:

NO RFE or Interview on ROC I751!!!

October 22nd, 2018 USPS tracking updated GC to arrive on Oct 24th!

October 23rd, 2018 Green Card in Hand!!

N-400

Dec 15th, 2018 Filed online and got NOA1

Dec 21st, 2018 Biometrics Appointment scheduled online scheduled for Jan 9th 2019

Jan 2nd, 2019 Successful Biometrics walk in

September 27, 2019 Interview Scheduled for Nov 8, 2019

Interview on Nov 8, 2019 Passed! :dance::wow:

Oath Ceremony scheduled on Dec 12, 2019

Attended Oath Ceremony Officially a US Citizen! :wow::dance:

Applied for US Passport Dec 12th, 2019

Passport in hand on Jan 17th, 2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

I passed 3.5 h there, and when I went there, next to his desk and asked why are we waiting so much, is there anything ..., he answerd: we just are investigating on you. And I replayed: -Ok, thank you. I just wanted to be sure that my documents have arrived here, and give just a tiny tiny smile, a forced smile in fact.

So... They were investigated for a woman and a 15 y old boy. :) its ashame but at the same time its they job to do this. So I dont blame anybody.

And if I am allow to give an advice, I woukd say, just look for the future, dont thing about the past. Its over now.mthanks God, S/he is home with you now

Hope everything will go smoothy for you. Its a long pain in the neck proces. :) GOOD LUCK!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm American and when I came home from Algeria at Atlanta's POE I had an officer ask lots of questions and made an off comment when I told him I went to see my boyfriend about he "heard they had good meat there did I eat a lot of meat like sausage?" And laughed. If I didn't have to make a connecting flight I would have filed a complaint. Then I came in to JFK and the officers were really cool and really nice.

Sorry your wife went through that.

Edited by N and J

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I've made it to the US through different airports and in my experience the worst is ATL, and the best one would be JFK.

One time at ATL the CBP officer asked me if I brought cash with me, to which I replied I did and I also had my credit cards. He made me take my wallet out and count the cash in front of him.

I'm not american BTW, my Fiancé is.

I have also been asked to show my cash. That was Las Vegas airport.

My best one of all was Toronto pre-clearance. He said "what's your final destination?" I started to say "Los Angeles" and got as far as "Los An" and he interrupted me with "enjoy your stay" and handed back my stamped passport.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am a US citizen and one trip back through Miami i spent an hour being questioned as my passport photo does not look like me according to the officer

I had lost weight and also was quite sick the day i had the photo taken

i had to answer questions like where i was born

mother's maiden name

present addres

and when they searched my purse i had 3 SS cards (my original with maiden name, my first married name and present married name)

We can't let this bother us too much as we know our ID's and even passports can be stolen

so, i go with the flow

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I have only had Newark, D.C. and Atlanta as my POE's before connecting flights and have never had any issues.

In newark one time he was more busy texting then asking me anything all he ask was - How long will you stay? me: 8 weeks him: 8 weeks thats a long time have fun. Me: thanks.

other wise they have all been super easy and hope my POE with my visa in Atlanta in June will be too :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.