Ahmed & Amy

Receiving mail in Egypt

15 posts in this topic

I've been living in Egypt almost 7 years and have only a handful of times received mail. Once through USPS and all other times through DHL/Fedex. I received an email stating that I should receive my I-797 in standard mail within 7-10 days. I called USCIS last night to ask if it is sent through regular postal or not and they said yes, and if I do not receive it by May 7 to call back, as at this moment there is nothing they can. I understand.

Has anyone had problems receiving regular postal mail in Egypt?? What are the average timing in receiving standard mail from the US?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The 7-10 days is within the US. Expect it to take a while longer to Egypt...

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

The 7-10 days is within the US. Expect it to take a while longer to Egypt...

Yeah, I would give it 2-4 weeks for standard mail sent internationally.

Thanks for your replies. :) I figured it would take several weeks to get here. I just wanted to be sure.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

my husband is in cairo and received his NVC letter, withing 7-10 days from when they said they sent it

• Got Married: July 25, 2015 (L)

• Sent I-130: August 23, 2016

I-130: Approved! wohoo! February 17, 2016

NVC Received: March 07, 2016

Sent IV Package : March 28, 2016 We got a checked list :ranting: - NVC lost English translated police certificate :protest: wuah! delayed us 1 month!

Received Instruction and interview appointment letter- June 29, 2016

Interview in Cairo August 29, 2016 :idea: - Interview went well, Approved :) wohoo!!!! *I (petitioner) attended interview with my husband. Overall interview went well, (with the help of this forum) questions asked to me When did I arrive Egypt? How many times have I visited? Do I live in Egypt? Questions asked to my husband Where did we meet? How did we connect?(this is what she asked, i guess she meant how did we stay in touch) Did we have a wedding?

Visa ready August 31, 2016.

Habibi (L) Received VISA September 08, 2016 :dancing:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to MENA regional forum; topic is about receiving mail in Egypt.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We never got any uscis notification in mail at our Egyptian address, even for the rfe they faxed it to us.. After many many calls

CR-1 Visa Journey

USCIS: Done

NVC: Done

Embassy : Interview Stage..

Interview DONE

POE  DONE

Card in Hand : Done

** ROC *****

NBC 

Sending File >> 1/7/2019

File received>> 1/9/2019

SMS Text Received >> 1/14/2019

Received biometric schedule letter >> 1/26/2109

We never got any uscis notification in mail at our Egyptian address, even for the rfe they faxed it to us.. After many many calls

I can only hope that I receive the I-797 in the mail within the next two weeks, as two weeks have already passed. :/ Do you know if they give the option to have it emailed?

Timeline

I can only hope that I receive the I-797 in the mail within the next two weeks, as two weeks have already passed. :/ Do you know if they give the option to have it emailed?

we never received any thing in egypt, i would advice get to know your mail main in egypt! and let him you guys waiting something in mail, egypt mail service is not that good.. and all you need to worry is if god forbid you got RFE , we have to call them many times to change our address to usa one, and even with that they re sent empty envelope!!!!!! last step was setup efax as we read in other websites, and they finally fax it to us..

CR-1 Visa Journey

Interview DONE

POE  DONE

** ROC *****

NBC 

Sending File >> 1/7/2019

File received>> 1/9/2019

we never received any thing in egypt, i would advice get to know your mail main in egypt! and let him you guys waiting something in mail, egypt mail service is not that good.. and all you need to worry is if god forbid you got RFE , we have to call them many times to change our address to usa one, and even with that they re sent empty envelope!!!!!! last step was setup efax as we read in other websites, and they finally fax it to us..

Oh goodness, that figures! I never liked receiving postal mail here in Egypt. My grandmother insisted several times in the past to send me mail and I never received it once. The only time (1 time bess) I received postal mail was when my mom sent me some of my legal paperwork in 2009 ( Which was not delivered to our flat but given to a women who owns a store below our building; thank goodness my husband was born and raised on this street, as she knew who to give it too..) but after certain events in the country I never received any postal after that and have asked many, many, many times to my grandmother to never send me mail.

This does concern me about the possibility of not receiving this notification.. or any other forms/documents in the future. I'm thinking of opening a postal box at the post office.. ( Do you know if they even do that here? ) There us a Post Office around the block from us, but they do not have boxes for receiving mail only for sending out... so I'm assuming I'll have to go to main office to ask and see.

How come they gave you such a hard time on the efax? Something I may end up having to look into. :/

Good luck to you. :)

Timeline

Oh goodness, that figures! I never liked receiving postal mail here in Egypt. My grandmother insisted several times in the past to send me mail and I never received it once. The only time (1 time bess) I received postal mail was when my mom sent me some of my legal paperwork in 2009 ( Which was not delivered to our flat but given to a women who owns a store below our building; thank goodness my husband was born and raised on this street, as she knew who to give it too..) but after certain events in the country I never received any postal after that and have asked many, many, many times to my grandmother to never send me mail.

This does concern me about the possibility of not receiving this notification.. or any other forms/documents in the future. I'm thinking of opening a postal box at the post office.. ( Do you know if they even do that here? ) There us a Post Office around the block from us, but they do not have boxes for receiving mail only for sending out... so I'm assuming I'll have to go to main office to ask and see.

How come they gave you such a hard time on the efax? Something I may end up having to look into. :/

Good luck to you. :)

Hopefully you wont get any need to receive mails and your case get approved with no RFE , and if god forbid you guys got one, you will call them and request another copy to be sent to ur address in USA or using efax thing, so no need to worry or stress about it, just keep calling till you get answer! we had to call like 7 times to finally receive the RFE note after a month .. other thing just to be active, go visit egypt post office next to you and ask them where is ur area distribution mail center and from there you can find your mail man in your area, and let him know you waiting something, take his phone number too, i did that! hope you guys get straight forward approve..!!

CR-1 Visa Journey

Interview DONE

POE  DONE

** ROC *****

NBC 

Sending File >> 1/7/2019

File received>> 1/9/2019

Timeline

just to update on the mail topic in Egypt, we got for the first time a mail with our RFE in EGYPT!!!!! it only worked cause we found our mail man and told him we are waiting something and of course we tipped him :) but anyway it works if only you searched for it and kept in touch with mail man in your area to be on the lookout for you.

CR-1 Visa Journey

Interview DONE

POE  DONE

** ROC *****

NBC 

Sending File >> 1/7/2019

File received>> 1/9/2019

just to update on the mail topic in Egypt, we got for the first time a mail with our RFE in EGYPT!!!!! it only worked cause we found our mail man and told him we are waiting something and of course we tipped him :) but anyway it works if only you searched for it and kept in touch with mail man in your area to be on the lookout for you.

Thank you so much for your update. I was just logging in to tell you the same and then I find you telling me you received mail. That's great! :) I received my first piece of mail today about 1:30 this afternoon. My husband told me to give the postman a tip as well, so I did. :P He now speaks with him directly on his mobile.

I'm so glad that you received your RFE in the mail and I hope that everything runs smoothly for you both. I received the I-797C.. and now I know when it was actually sent, so this gives me a good idea of how long to expect any future mail.

Take care.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.