Roy&Chanel

The Job applicants - Jobseekers fall in here to share your experience

32 posts in this topic

It was funny, I never really committed to the 'job search' per say as my husband was supporting us and wanted me to do something I loved rather than something just to pay the bills. I applied to a few places here and there but would never hear anything much back or I'd hear from the internship places but just couldn't pull the trigger on something that I wouldn't get paid for with all my experience. But I luckily found out from a friend that a job was going at his work and I sent my portfolio and resume directly to him. Didn't think much of it but each step in the process went to amazingly smooth that I'd secured the job within the week! Do you know of anyone that might have some connections? I really do feel that it's who you know, as well as what you know a lot within certain industries. If someone vouches for you, it speaks volumes!

AOS

09/02/2015 - Enter United States @ Raleigh Durham International Airport, NC under VWP

14/02/2015 - Fly to San Francisco, CA

09/05/2015 - I-94 Expires

22/05/2015 - Civil Surgeon Medical Examination

28/05/2015 - Received Sealed Envelope

04/07/2015 - Married in Vegas

14/08/2015 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 to Chicago Lockbox

21/08/2015 - Emails/Texts of Acceptance for I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131

24/08/2015 - I-130 & I-485 Cheques Cashed

27/08/2015 - Paper NOA1 Received

14/09/2015 - Biometrics Letter Received

23/09/2015 - Biometrics Complete

17/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Produced

21/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

24/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Delivered

31/10/2015 - Received SSN

06/02/2016 - Interview Notice Delivered by Post

09/03/2016 - Interview

09/03/2016 - Approved at Interview + Card Ordered

14/03/2016 - Green Card Mailed

16/03/2016 - Green Card Received

ROC

05/02/2018 - Sent I-751 to California Service Centre

07/02/2018 - I-751 Received

09/02/2018 - Extension Letter Arrived in Post

12/05/2018 - Biometrics Reused Letter

18/08/2018 - 18 Months Extension Letter

19/04/2019 - 1-751 Approved + Card Produced

Naturalisation

09/12/2018 - Sent N-400 Application Online

14/12/2018 - Received Paper NOA1

02/01/2019 - Biometrics Scheduled

06/02/2019 - Biometrics Rescheduled

Federal laws do not dictate lunch and breaks, but most state laws do. I would look-up the State laws and find out.

Now that you do have a job, and "American" work history, look for about position that will make you happy. Another saying here is, once you have a job, it's easier to find another one.

I did this personally, I had job for 3 months before starting to look for a better one that would make me happy. And I found one and started 6 months after my first one in Colorado. I love my current job and just finished my 6 month's review.

Good luck.

That is very encouraging, Im going to look for nearby jobs for now, and start looking for better after.

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Another small thing I did when looking (took me five weeks to find a job that I wanted to do that was prepared to pay the salary I wanted) was make sure on my resume that it stated I was a Lawful Permanent Resident. Often, when recruiters are sifting through resumes, they will overlook the ones who have foreign experience because they assume we need visas and we're too much hassle. Saying 'Lawful Permanent Resident' and re-iterating that in the Cover Letter along the lines of 'For your information, I am a Lawful Permanent Resident and able to commence work immediately' helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Another small thing I did when looking (took me five weeks to find a job that I wanted to do that was prepared to pay the salary I wanted) was make sure on my resume that it stated I was a Lawful Permanent Resident. Often, when recruiters are sifting through resumes, they will overlook the ones who have foreign experience because they assume we need visas and we're too much hassle. Saying 'Lawful Permanent Resident' and re-iterating that in the Cover Letter along the lines of 'For your information, I am a Lawful Permanent Resident and able to commence work immediately' helps.

It is true. That line helps a lot. :)

I received mixed replies previously from other posters. Some said that writing that actually makes them think otherwise and told me that I should tell them during interviews. I have been trying to search for jobs the last two months and no avail so far not even calls. In my CV and resume, I have not posted that I'm a LPR etc since I was given advices not to. But I think I am going to give it a try now.

Also, it is already 8 months since my last employment, do you think it is advisable to include a short passage that I have migrated to US and am a LPR?

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Timeline

I hired a professional resume writer to polish up my husband's resume, that writer suggested to

put something like"authorize to work in US" . My husbands degree and most of work experience background is from other country.

Timeline

I received mixed replies previously from other posters. Some said that writing that actually makes them think otherwise and told me that I should tell them during interviews. I have been trying to search for jobs the last two months and no avail so far not even calls. In my CV and resume, I have not posted that I'm a LPR etc since I was given advices not to. But I think I am going to give it a try now.

Also, it is already 8 months since my last employment, do you think it is advisable to include a short passage that I have migrated to US and am a LPR?

Problem is, you won't always get to interviews without stating it because you're already in the 'too hard' basket. Not sure the purpose of how writing it makes people think otherwise (is the assumption that you're lying, in which case the company is not one you want to work for as they assume potential employees are dishonest). I really don't understand that advice, sorry.

For me, I had at the top of my resume 'Lawful Permanent Resident'. In my covering letter, I had written something, as previously mentioned along the lines of 'I have recently relocated the State and am excited to launch my career here. For your information, I am a Lawful Permanent Resident and am able to legally commence work immediately'). Within two weeks I started getting phone calls and, in the end, had the pick of three job offers.

I was backtracking on the previous posts on why: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/577396-december-2015-aos-filer-status/page-89

Thank you so much Emily. Hopefully I will get calls soon, I will update when there's good news! Cheers! And Happy Independence!

I hired a professional resume writer to polish up my husband's resume, that writer suggested to

put something like"authorize to work in US" . My husbands degree and most of work experience background is from other country.

Great thanks, I shall update my CV and Resume too.

I have an Australian BA Degree, a non US Degree too.

Timeline

My tips for finding a job (I work in a corporate professional role, so my advice is based on that and on the advice / conversations had with recruiters - your experiences may differ):

1. Make sure you clearly state you are a Lawful Permanent Resident, or whatever wording states that you are able to commence work immediately.
  2. Here in the US, it's a Resume, unless you are an academic, in which case it's a CV.
  3. Make your Resume short. In Australia, my Resume was 10 pages long because I've been working a long time. Here that won't fly. 2-4 pages max.
  4. Order (besides basic contact details) is core competencies, education, work history, references.
  5. With references, list out the names and the titles, even if you don't give out the contact details. As it happens, my employer didn't bother with the reference check but she said she likes having them there on the Resume.
  6. Always do a covering letter. Think of your resume as the product, and the cover letter as your elevator pitch. Keep it to one page explaining why you are the best person for the role AND stating, once again, your ability to work immediately in the US.
  7. Americanize your spelling.
  8. Differentiate your resume, without overdoing it. My resume got me calls from recruiters where I wasn't right for the role, but the layout and presentation of my resume had them saying 'Look, I know this isn't the role for you but can we meet anyway and talk through your resume'. Don't underestimate the impact of a visually impressive resume.
  9. Treat job hunting like a job. Each morning I had an email arrive from Indeed.com with roles that suited my skills. I would, after dropping the kids off at school, sit down and narrow down the ones I wanted to apply for. I then spent the morning creating cover letters (make them unique, the recruiters can tell what is copy and pasted) and submitting applications. I kept a spreadsheet of each role I had applied for and when.
  10. Follow up a few days after you submit. It doesn't hurt and it shows you have hustle.

As I mentioned previously, I was looking for five weeks and, in the end, had three excellent offers from which to pick. I did all of the above. I didn't get my dream job. But I got my dream organization and I figure, I'm in now and it's up to me to target and get that dream job.

Edited by EmilyW

Thank you so much Emily, the information above is so useful.

Timeline

You're welcome. :goofy:

Above all, don't lose your confidence. You'll need it for the interviews. PM me if you do get demoralized and need a pick-me-up.

How to follow up after submitting the job application. Normally I applied the job online or at the career section.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.