33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

How old are the children ? Have you considered putting them in a boarding school for now ( supporting you being in custody of them )

I've been tight with other things so I forgot to reply to people here. They are 9 and 7

How old are the children ? Have you considered putting them in a boarding school for now ( supporting you being in custody of them )

I've been tight with other things so I forgot to reply to people here. They are 9 and 7

Timeline

you may not know where the mother is but most govenrments and immigration say the children have to have permission of mother to come / there was a big US court case about this when a family had a child from Cuba and the father wanted him back / father won and it set the stage for all cases

i wish you luck but try to locate the mother and get her to sign off

My brother is the only parent the kids know. The mother was our house help that my brother impregnated for the first time. My mother thought it was a good idea to let her stay so she can help raise her grand daughter. She then got pregnant and out of shame she fled. As at now we don't know if she's alive and her family don't know her whereabouts either.

I personally believe they're young to be in boarding school. The only age I will consider that is 13 and up. Boarding school did more harm to me than good myself.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

It's not easy to adopt a relative and get an immigration visa. While the adoption may be easy, getting an immigration visa is another story.

You would need to prove that your adopted child has only one living parent. You would also need to show that the living parent is not capable of caring for the child by local standards. You would also need to live with the adopted child in Ghana for 2 years since Ghana is not part of the Hague Convention.

You should consult an immigration lawyer versed in international adoption. You do not want to end up adopting the children with no way for them to obtain immigrant visas.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

They are very hard on people adopting relatives because it is a common scheme to avoid the long wait for relative petitions.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

It's not easy to adopt a relative and get an immigration visa. While the adoption may be easy, getting an immigration visa is another story.

I'm currently speaking with a lawyer. I didn't know I could even petition for the in any other way. I'm just willing to do the right thing. Time isn't the factor to me right now.

You would need to prove that your adopted child has only one living parent. You would also need to show that the living parent is not capable of caring for the child by local standards. You would also need to live with the adopted child in Ghana for 2 years since Ghana is not part of the Hague Convention.

You should consult an immigration lawyer versed in international adoption. You do not want to end up adopting the children with no way for them to obtain immigrant visas.

They are very hard on people adopting relatives because it is a common scheme to avoid the long wait for relative petitions.

I'm in no rush to bring them here. If I have to petition for them as relative please show me where I can research. They don't have to be here tomorrow or next month. I want to feel like I'm doing something to help their situation.

I'm in no rush to bring them here. If I have to petition for them as relative please show me where I can research. They don't have to be here tomorrow or next month. I want to feel like I'm doing something to help their situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can not petition nieces.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You would petition their parent who is related to you which is a 14 year wait and if they haven't aged out they would come with the parent else the parent would petition when they got a green card and that is about another 8 years for an aged out child.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

You would petition their parent who is related to you which is a 14 year wait and if they haven't aged out they would come with the parent else the parent would petition when they got a green card and that is about another 8 years for an aged out child.

Thanks for the information. However I won't petition for my sick brother. He's very sick and no need to do that for him right now. The best I can do is adopt his children which I am working on right now. I'm traveling to Ghana asap to go through the adoption process since we have a good amount of lawyers in our family. Thanks for all the good comments and reply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Would it nor be more logical for one of the other family members to adopt them, someone local?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thanks for the information. However I won't petition for my sick brother. He's very sick and no need to do that for him right now. The best I can do is adopt his children which I am working on right now. I'm traveling to Ghana asap to go through the adoption process since we have a good amount of lawyers in our family. Thanks for all the good comments and reply.

What's the plan after you adopt them? What happens when you can't get them immigration visas because they are not orphans?

Timeline

Would it nor be more logical for one of the other family members to adopt them, someone local?

It will be but the thing is they more financially sound ones don't want to help. Like my rich uncles and co. They live in Accra the capital and don't to be bothered. When I needed a couple days to stay at their house for my visa interview back in the days, they were not welcoming. Simply put, they don't really care for the extended family. They're quick to give advise and show you where to go about it and that's all they can offer. I spoke with one of them who showed me this and that family member works for a chamber of so and so and can help and never offered to help bring the kids to their house. I understand their children are grown and can't be bothered with kids to take care of but I can't force them to do anything. My family is rip apart and everyone is dealing with their own which is very sad and put more pressure on me. Edited by Caykay1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It will be but the thing is they more financially sound ones don't want to help. Like my rich uncles and co. They live in Accra the capital and don't to be bothered. When I needed a couple days to stay at their house for my visa interview back in the days, they were not welcoming. Simply put, they don't really care for the extended family.

Not caring for and legal options may be two different subjects. Hopefully you can work this out.

Timeline

What's the plan after you adopt them? What happens when you can't get them immigration visas because they are not orphans?

If I can't get them the visa which isn't the ultimate deal, at least I will feel I did what i could. I'm sure they will have to wait and surely will get to their turn one day some day. It's not the rush to get them here. It's very bothering to call and here they moved already to another family member to the next in a month.

Timeline

Thank you all your your suggestions. After carefully talking with my husband, I believe I will travel to Ghana and spend sometime there, look for someone I can honestly trust family or not family and then make it a point to pay her a fix salary monthly. According to my friend they tend to take care of them properly if its a fix income because it tends to be their kind of source of income. I will kNow what to do when the time comes. Hopefully all works out well for their well being till they can go to boarding school. It just breaks my heart to sit here and eat while my very own blood innocent children suffer. Life isn't fair and traveling has put loved ones apart.

Thank you all your your suggestions. After carefully talking with my husband, I believe I will travel to Ghana and spend sometime there, look for someone I can honestly trust family or not family and then make it a point to pay her a fix salary monthly. According to my friend they tend to take care of them properly if its a fix income because it tends to be their kind of source of income. I will kNow what to do when the time comes. Hopefully all works out well for their well being till they can go to boarding school. It just breaks my heart to sit here and eat while my very own blood innocent children suffer. Life isn't fair and traveling has put loved ones apart.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.