Bengalita

Applying for b1/b2 visa after being deported 18 years ago

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It's really confusing. My original question was about applying for a b1/b2 Visa after deportation, and during the conversations, i found out he wanted do ESTA. Then the question was, CAN he fill out an ESTA form after being deported. and technically, the answer is yes, however, he might get it denied. In that case, end of story. So... That's all I can say. I wasn't there a long time ago when all that happened, there is stuff I don't know.

Did you read post number 20 that cited the government rules on reentry after being deported ? It clearly says that a person refused an immigration benefit ( denied entry is this ) or deported requires a visa. This means that using ESTA and VWP is a no no. If your friend is seeing how fast they can get a life time ban they are doing a great job. You come here for advise when it seems that you/they have already decided to try to sneak in with a second passport. It is the person that was denied entry , not the passport. So they are denied on any of the hundreds of passports they may be bale to present. But good luck on your life time ban you are so anxious to earn.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello. I need your input urgently. I have a Guatemalan friend who had a valid tourist visa 18 years ago, and he never overstayed. But on one of his trips, he arrived and was detained in Customs, and they accused him of having a bank account in the USA (which he did, yes. On one of his trips, he opened a bank account with his passport... maybe not a good idea, but whatever.) And they detained him for a few days and ultimately he was deported. Very unfair in my opinion. Anyway, 18 years later, his friend invites him to California to visit, and has already purchased his flight. It's in 2 weeks. What other form does he have to fill out apart from the VISA application? Isn't there a for I-212 or something... it's for people who want to reenter the USA after having been deported? How does that work?

Oh, and since then, he also has German citizenship (and German passport), so he wants to know if that, in any way, can help him re-gain his US Visa.

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

There's no law against opening a bank account on a tourist visa. While they may have asked him about the bank account, that alone would not have been the reason for being deported or for being denied entry.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Obviously, there are things I am not aware of. I am not encouraging him to file an E.S.T.A either. While he technically can fill it out, (anybody can fill out an ESTA, it doesn't mean they're eligible to do so, much less that they'll get it approved, but if they want to, they can fill it out), it likely won't be the wisest decision.

Me personally, I think people in his situation should just go to the American embassy and re-apply for a visa. Because at the embassy, you put fingerprints, and everything shows up on the officers screen. So he makes a more informed decision. To me, even if someone does get ESTA approved, it doesn't mean he/she will be granted acces into the United States, once arriving at customs. And to go through all the hassle of buying a plane ticket, packing suitcases, just to get sent back on the next plane (or deported or expedited removed) just isn't worth it.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Obviously, there are things I am not aware of.

Sometimes when asking for friends, key details are missing. Those details are often relevant.

Having a bank account may cause suspicion but it is not a reason for deportation. It can lead USCIS to suspect other illegal activity, for example, unauthorized employment. What actually happened is probably important to know.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.