Karin45

Avoid a RFE with proof of OKcupid is not a IMB but they dont respond

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi to all,

We are ready to send our package for the K1 Visa. Only I read that some people got a RFE for the OKcupid site because they seems an international marriage broker. I and a lot others already know they aren't ... So to avoid a RFE we wanted to send some proof of this site. I ask OKcupid already 6 times by email if they wanna sent me an email that they aren't an IMB. But I don't get any response. My fiancé try to call them and only get a voice mail were he can ask his question but they never call back.

The latest suggestion( I already read at some forums) with the same problem to send the terms and conditions of the site seems to be impossible to because the terms and conditions only speak about Humor Rainbow, Inc. and not of OKcupid....

Anyone a good suggestion what to do to avoid a RFE ?

A great day to all :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I would still send the Terms and Conditions and anything else you can find on their site connecting them to that other name.

Edited by LionessDeon

Read this topic for ideas. They used Plenty Of Fish and ran into the same issue.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/589618-imb-rfe/

Jan 25, 2014: I-129F Sent

Feb 13, 2014: NOA1

Apr 15,2014: NOA2 Notice Via USCIS Web Site

Apr 22, 2014: NOA2 Received In Postal Mail

Apr 28: 2014: NVC Received

Apr 30: 2014: NVC Left

May 09, 2014: Embassy Received

Jul 08, 2014: Interview - Approved - CEAC Status Ready

Jul 14 2014: CEAC updated but still READY Status

Jul 16 2014: CEAC Status changed to Administrative Processing

Jul 22 2014: CEAC Status changed to Issued

Jul 28 2014: VISA received

Aug 06 2014: U.S. Arrival (Ft. Lauderdale POE)

Children (3 kids)

Apr 28 2015: Filed I130 petition for each child

Aug 21 2015: Notice from USCIS that all 3 petitions transferred to California Service Center

Sep 17 2015: Approval for all 3 petitions

Nov 12 2015: Paid one AOS fee for all 3 children

Nov 13 2015: Paid separate IV fees for all 3 children

Dec 04 2015: Filed Affidavit of Support (I864) for each child

Jan 12 2016: Received RFE for missing birth certificate from one of the kids packet

Jan 13 2016: Sent in RFE evidence ( birth certificate copy .... again O_o )

Jan 19 2016: Received notice that they received the RFE evidence

Feb 22 2016: Called and found out another RFE was being sent out about birth certificate

Feb 24 2016: Sent in (inextensa versions, not de acta versions) of birth certificates for all children

Mar 02 2016: Received notice that they received the RFE evidence

Mar 11 2016: NVC Process finished, now awaiting interview time slot to be scheduled

Mar 29 2016: Called NVC and found out today they scheduled interview

Apr 01 2016: Received Packet 4 notice via e-mail with interview date

Apr 25 2016: Children received P4 letters in the mail

May 19 2016: Interview

Jun 03 2016: Received Visas

Jul 06 2016: Travel to US

Oh! Another Dutchie in this process! :) Good luck!

Can you print out the Terms of Service? Also there will tell that they're not an IMB.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Good luck to you too another Dutchie :)

https://www.okcupid.com/legal/terms this are the terms and conditions and I can print them out. But the talk there a lot of times about Humor Rainbow Inc. and not of OKcupid, I found their name only once. So I think when I send the terms and conditions with the package it makes it more confused than it does good. So I am not sure to send by the package.

About Plenty of Fish....thanks for the suggestion . The terms and conditions of Plenty of Fish (POF) are very clear and clear enough that they are of POF..they mention it very clear at the top of the terms and conditions.. the same is not by OKCupid ...somewere in the middle of the text you only found once the name of OKCupid.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There a few posts here on VJ about OKcupid. You can do a search to find them. It took these people a month to hear back > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/578321-rfe-for-okcupid-question/

Print the terms from the site. It does not matter what their parent company is actually called. You may not even get an RFE, but if you do, you should have received a response from OKcupid by then.

~Moved from K-1 Process to IMBRA Special Topics ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We met on OK Cupid and did not get an RFE.
We did not provide anything regarding the website as we were not aware before that it could be an issue.

I guess it is all luck!

K1 Visa Timeline
Spoiler

25 DEC 15 Engagement
09 JAN 16 I-129f sent via FedEx to Lewisville, TX
13 JAN 16 NOA1 txt msg - CSC
01 MAR 16 NOA2 txt msg - CSC
15 APR 16 Packet 3 received
18 APR 16 Packet 4 received
25 APR 16 Medical at Medisys Montreal
04 MAY 16 Interview at MTL Consulate ****APPROVED****
09 MAY 16 Visa in hands
04 JUN 16 POE Montreal Airport
03 AUG 16 Wedding in Beverly Hills, CA
:dancing:
AOS Timeline
22 OCT 16 AOS paperwork including EAD sent via FedEx to Chicago, IL
25 OCT 16 NOA1 EAD - EMAIL
27 OCT 16 NOA1 AOS - EMAIL
21 NOV 16 Biometrics apptmt USCIS Nashville
19 JAN 17  EAD card is being produced
24 JAN 17 : EAD Card mailed
27 JAN 17 : EAD Card in hands
14 FEB 17 : Green Card is being produced
16 FEB 17 : Green Card mailed
18 FEB 17 : Green Card received!!!!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

For anybody who is unfortunate enough to get such an RFE, here's what we sent in for OK Cupid (highlight key lines in documents):

-Copy of 8 U.S.C. 1375a(e)(4)(B)(ii) stating an exception to the definition of International Marriage Broker

you can view it here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1375a

-email from OK Cupid customer support stating that OK Cupid is not an international marriage broker

-letter from petitioner confirming OK Cupid is not an international marriage broker

-OK Cupid chat history

-About us page from OK Cupid

-OK Cupid Terms of Service & Legal Information

-OK Cupid Wikipedia profile

Might be more than they need, but better safe than sorry.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Timeline

I emailed OKCUPID about them being a International Marriage Broker and they responded back in 2 hours with this:

SIMPLE TO GET!

-------------------------------

Congratulations on your engagement! We at OkCupid are always happy to hear success stories such as yours.

OkCupid is not an international marriage broker as defined by the International Marriage Brokers Act. In fact, OkCupid is a free dating website with a few premium feature offerings. You should be able to show this email as the proof that you need.

They can email me directly at alice@okcupid.com with any questions. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks,
Alice

Director of Customer Support, OkCupid.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.