13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi everyone I am currently seeking some answers.

I received my k1 visa on Tuesday and i am seeing that it is valid for 5 months. From march to august 31. My fiance and I would be getting married on the 3rd of September. But because of this new development I believe I would have to do a wedding with just 2 witnesses. After which apply for adjustment of status. Am I correct so?

I would like some assistance on what to do being that the visa expires a month before my actual set date in September.

Looking forward to yall answers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

nope, you're fine

that's the time you have to enter the country, they gave you 5 months to enter. once you enter, you have 90 days to get married

so if you come in July or August, you will be fine to marry in September

you would have to wait a few months to enter the country, of course if you leave now you wouldn't be able to get married in September, but if you delay entering the country for a few months then you can

the decision is yours and congrats on getting the visa and on the wedding

Edited by aleful

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

K1 expires once you enter the USA! it is a one time visa.. you have 5 months until you ENTER the USA... then once you enter you MUST get married within 3 months..so you have to enter BEFORE aug 31.. but you have 90 days AFTER you enter to get married. So if you enter Aug 31 you have until Nov 31 to get married.. and your K1 expires the date you enter the USA so you are technically in no status until you AOS.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

The visa expiration date is only the date you need to arrive in the U.S.

From the time you enter the U.S., you have 90 days to get married.

AOS will need to be filed after your wedding. There's not a required time to file AOS but it's best to do it sooner than later. Some people have waited over a year to file after marriage to save up the funds to pay for it.

Good luck!

Timeline

K1 expires once you enter the USA! it is a one time visa.. you have 5 months until you ENTER the USA... then once you enter you MUST get married within 3 months..so you have to enter BEFORE aug 31.. but you have 90 days AFTER you enter to get married. So if you enter Aug 31 you have until Nov 31 to get married.. and your K1 expires the date you enter the USA so you are technically in no status until you AOS.

Just a technicality, but November only has 30 days and 90 days after August 31st would be November 29th :)

Edited by ch3john

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Also once married, do I get something that shows that I'm in limbo waiting for a status change if I don't do the AOS right away or will I be illigal if I don't have my AOS done in time. Please advise me on this.

Timeline

Thanks for the answers. Also how much does it cost to AOS? Do I need a layer or am I able to do it on my own?

$1070 and you don't need a lawyer. Just follow the guides here.

Also, you will also want to file EAD and AP at the same time.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone I am currently seeking some answers.

I received my k1 visa on Tuesday and i am seeing that it is valid for 5 months. From march to august 31.It appears that you have until 31 August to move to the US. The K1 is a one-time, one-way visa, that will be canceled as soon as you go through your US Port of Entry (POE). My fiance and I would be getting married on the 3rd of September. But because of this new development I believe I would have to do a wedding with just 2 witnesses. After which apply for adjustment of status. Am I correct so? You have up to 90 days from your US POE to marry your USC petitioner. You can submit your AOS applications at anytime after your marriage. It is generally recommended to start the AOS process as soon as possible after your marriage.

I would like some assistance on what to do being that the visa expires a month before my actual set date in September. See above.

Looking forward to yall answers.

:guides: easily accessible at the top of the forum page. In particular, the K1 Flowchart for more information: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thanks for the answers. Also how much does it cost to AOS? Do I need a layer or am I able to do it on my own?

:guides: again, this time the K1/K3 AOS guide. Also this USCIS link: https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Timeline

Also once married, do I get something that shows that I'm in limbo waiting for a status change if I don't do the AOS right away or will I be illigal if I don't have my AOS done in time. Please advise me on this.

Start reading some of the many threads on this often-discussed topic in the Fam.-based AOS Forum.

~Moved from K1 Process to K1 Progress Forum~

Edited by Pitaya

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.