5 posts in this topic

Me and my husband recently got married and were about to file AOS soon.

Question about filling the forms AOS, EAD and AP:

Should i fill it up with my Maiden name or Married name? I want to fill it up with my Married name but our Marriage License, Record and Certificate only states my Maiden Name. Would it be a problem if i decide to apply for AOS, ED and AP with my Husband's Last Name?

• Do I have to go back to the courthouse to apply for a new Marriage record that states my new name?
  • Can i just use my Husband's Last Name for the forms even if I don't have a legal document with my new name?
  • Should i just use my maiden name in applying for AOS, EAD and AP?

Please everyone's opinion regarding this are welcome. It would be a great help.

Thank you so much!

PS. also, would they bother if i put a different email address and home address in the forms AOS, EAD and AP than what we filed from the previous I-129 Petition?

Thanks again!

N400

Spoiler

Dec 15, 2019 filed N400 online

[Day 0] : Dec 15, 2019 - Received Date

[Day 7] : Dec 21, 2019 - Biometrics scheduled for Jan 7th 2020

[Day 13] Dec 27, 2019 - Early walk in for biometrics

[Day 13] Dec 27, 2019 - Biometrics reviewed

[Day 13] Dec 27, 2019 - Case being actively reviewed

[Day 299] Oct 8, 2020 - Email notification "Interview was scheduled"

[Day 300] Oct 9, 2020 - Interview notice on documents tab. (Nov 12, 2020)

[Day 304] : Oct 13, 2020 - Interview notice came in the mail

[Day 334] : Nov 12, 2020 - Scheduled interview date; Showed up at the office and was told the interview schedule was a 'mistake'

[Day 334] : Nov 12, 2020 - USCIS status: Interview Cancelled

[Day 341] Nov 19, 2020 - Email notification "Interview was scheduled"

[Day 343] Nov 21, 2020 - Interview notice came in the mail

[Day 353] : Dec 1, 2020 - Interview dare, Oath ceremony

[Day 353] : Dec 1, 2020 - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Use your new married name. You do have a legal document that proves your name change - it's the marriage certificate. It doesn't matter if you new name doesn't actually appear on it. You don't have to do anything else.

No problem using a different email and home address on the AOS package forms.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Me and my husband recently got married and were about to file AOS soon.

Question about filling the forms AOS, EAD and AP:

Should i fill it up with my Maiden name or Married name? I want to fill it up with my Married name but our Marriage License, Record and Certificate only states my Maiden Name. Would it be a problem if i decide to apply for AOS, ED and AP with my Husband's Last Name?

• Do I have to go back to the courthouse to apply for a new Marriage record that states my new name?
  • Can i just use my Husband's Last Name for the forms even if I don't have a legal document with my new name?
  • Should i just use my maiden name in applying for AOS, EAD and AP?

Please everyone's opinion regarding this are welcome. It would be a great help.

Thank you so much!

PS. also, would they bother if i put a different email address and home address in the forms AOS, EAD and AP than what we filed from the previous I-129 Petition?

Thanks again!

Hi LittleMsFighter,

The marriage license will be issued in your maiden name and if you go back to the courthouse they cannot issue another in your married name. That license is to show that you (in your maiden name of sound mind) married your fiance) So dont worry about that.

Now to answer your question

• Do I have to go back to the courthouse to apply for a new Marriage record that states my new name? - No you dont have to do that
  • Can i just use my Husband's Last Name for the forms even if I don't have a legal document with my new name? - Yes just fill the forms with Your First Name and your Husbands Last Name if that's how you want to do it
  • Should i just use my maiden name in applying for AOS, EAD and AP? - You can, but if you want to change your name to your husband's last name, then you have to do it on all of these three forms and once you receive the GC or EAD/AP combo card, you have to go into the social security administration office and have it changed again.

These forms are the best and free way to legally change your name to your married name. So make use of it

To make things simple. Follow this on all your forms.

If your name is Jane Austin and your husband is John Smith and you wish to take his last name then fill the forms like this

First Name: Jane Last Name: Smith Other Name's Used: Jane Austin

This will keep the HS and USCIS informed about your legal name change. Also attach a certified copy of your marriage certificate in the I-485 packet. When you go in for your bio-metric, carry the original marriage certificate.

PS: its not a problem to use a different email or home address, but make sure that you can receive notifications on your email and homes address i.e. make sure they are valid.

Hope this helps. :)

Good Luck

Thank you so much for your answers that greatly helped. But one more thing. How 'bout the signature? I don't have a legal document w my signature using my husband's last name. Should I use my new signature w my husband's last name or use my old signature from my passport?

Thanks again!!

N400

Spoiler

Dec 15, 2019 filed N400 online

[Day 0] : Dec 15, 2019 - Received Date

[Day 7] : Dec 21, 2019 - Biometrics scheduled for Jan 7th 2020

[Day 13] Dec 27, 2019 - Early walk in for biometrics

[Day 13] Dec 27, 2019 - Biometrics reviewed

[Day 13] Dec 27, 2019 - Case being actively reviewed

[Day 299] Oct 8, 2020 - Email notification "Interview was scheduled"

[Day 300] Oct 9, 2020 - Interview notice on documents tab. (Nov 12, 2020)

[Day 304] : Oct 13, 2020 - Interview notice came in the mail

[Day 334] : Nov 12, 2020 - Scheduled interview date; Showed up at the office and was told the interview schedule was a 'mistake'

[Day 334] : Nov 12, 2020 - USCIS status: Interview Cancelled

[Day 341] Nov 19, 2020 - Email notification "Interview was scheduled"

[Day 343] Nov 21, 2020 - Interview notice came in the mail

[Day 353] : Dec 1, 2020 - Interview dare, Oath ceremony

[Day 353] : Dec 1, 2020 - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you so much for your answers that greatly helped. But one more thing. How 'bout the signature? I don't have a legal document w my signature using my husband's last name. Should I use my new signature w my husband's last name or use my old signature from my passport?

Thanks again!!

You will be changing your name through marriage. You fill out the forms in the new name you wish to use, and you sign in that same name, which is your new legal name.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.