Lilac

Living abroad and did not work in 2015. Do I need to file a tax return?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a US citizen and a permanent resident in Canada living in Canada. I'll be filing I130 for my Canadian husband soon. I want to make sure my tax returns are up-to-date when we apply.

I didn't work in 2015, neither in US nor Canada. And I lived in Canada entirely in 2015. H&R block told me I don't need to file for 2015 return since I didn't have income in 2015. We don't have a large bank account or investment or anything like that in Canada (or anywhere else). We just live on my husband's income. So do I need to file 2015 tax return?

Any answer or advice on where I could get information about this will be greatly appreciated!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

You should.. You might get a little be of money or just to have paper trail of your taxes and you won't have to explain yourself about why you didn't file.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

You should.. You might get a little be of money or just to have paper trail of your taxes and you won't have to explain yourself about why you didn't file.

Thank you for your reply. Do you happen to know if there is a different tax form for citizens living abroad? (The past few years I used H&R block online filing since all I had was my income from work and so my returns were very simple)

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Most likely you'd be filing the 1040NR, NR being for nonresident.

Check out this IRS link for some good info: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No income (of any type) = no requirement to file a tax return. You simply follow the I-864 instructions and attach a signed statement about why you didn't file. Not a long drawn out page, just a brief statement such as : I did not work in 2015 and had no income therefore I was not required to file a tax return.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Most likely you'd be filing the 1040NR, NR being for nonresident.

Check out this IRS link for some good info: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

Thank you for the information! I'll look into it.

Timeline

No income (of any type) = no requirement to file a tax return. You simply follow the I-864 instructions and attach a signed statement about why you didn't file. Not a long drawn out page, just a brief statement such as : I did not work in 2015 and had no income therefore I was not required to file a tax return.

Thank you for your reply. That's what H&R block agents kept telling me. No income = no need to file (it makes sense!). But I think I read somewhere that since my husband was supporting me financially, I need to file a tax return with my husband's Canadian tax return attached or something like that (I really need to go back and find that post again).

It's very likely that I'll be following your advice. Now I should go read the IRS link Maria from the previous reply gave me.

Thank you very much!

No you dont need to file if you made under the threshold to file. Include a statement with the I-864 as to why.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

No you dont need to file if you made under the threshold to file. Include a statement with the I-864 as to why.

It's definitely under the threshold! (Zero :) ) And yes, I have heard about the threshold too.

I'm thinking maybe I'll have a joint tax return (Canadian) with my husband and on it, it'll show I had no income. So I can send that tax return and a statement with I-186. (I'm just thinking it might be a good proof but I might not even be allowed on his return since I have zero income)

But I'm about 99% convinced :) now that a statement would be enough for an explanation after reading your reply and that from Anh map.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you don't have ANYTHING to report then I can see there being no "requirement" but if there is anything else such as interest income from bank/financial institutions, investment transactions, etc. then might want (need) to file. Also, is there anything your name is on in Canada? Any bank account, property, etc.?

While it may be true there is no "requirement" for filing, if applying for your husband... it might even look good if you present your U.S. tax return filed as MFS with 0, 1) to document the 0 liability and 2) documenting a married status.

Just a thought to throw out there if you're the type that prefers more official documentation.

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you don't have ANYTHING to report then I can see there being no "requirement" but if there is anything else such as interest income from bank/financial institutions, investment transactions, etc. then might want (need) to file. Also, is there anything your name is on in Canada? Any bank account, property, etc.?

While it may be true there is no "requirement" for filing, if applying for your husband... it might even look good if you present your U.S. tax return filed as MFS with 0, 1) to document the 0 liability and 2) documenting a married status.

Just a thought to throw out there if you're the type that prefers more official documentation.

I totally agree with MariaR323.

Even though you are not required to file since you have no income. i encourage you to file.

Go to irs.gov... you could get FREE filing fee if you meet certain requirement.

Edited by IcezMan_IcezLady

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Timeline

The #1 reason I would file an income tax return with zero income is to make sure someone doesn't fraudulent file a claim under my name or SSN, and be sure to file early. It may sound stupid or being paranoid, but there are people out there who do this for a living.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Releases-the-Dirty-Dozen-Tax-Scams-for-2012

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/IRS-Tax-Return/Can-I-File-an-Income-Tax-Return-if-I-Don-t-Have-Any-Income-/INF14238.html

Edited by Umka36

Timeline

Yes, I am the type that prefers more official documentation. :)

I am going to file one. Now I just need to look into which tax form I should use. I will look into the non-resident one you suggested in the previous post. I also need to figure out if I could do it online. I hope I can because it will make my life a lot easier.

I really appreciate your help!

I totally agree with MariaR323.

Even though you are not required to file since you have no income. i encourage you to file.

Go to irs.gov... you could get FREE filing fee if you meet certain requirement.

I am going to file. You and MariaR323 convinced me! :)

I really appreciate your help!

Timeline

The #1 reason I would file an income tax return with zero income is to make sure someone doesn't fraudulent file a claim under my name or SSN, and be sure to file early. It may sound stupid or being paranoid, but there are people out there who do this for a living.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Releases-the-Dirty-Dozen-Tax-Scams-for-2012

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/IRS-Tax-Return/Can-I-File-an-Income-Tax-Return-if-I-Don-t-Have-Any-Income-/INF14238.html

Yes, I have heard of tax return scams too. Thank you for the websites and thank you for your advice! Now I'm going to look into which tax form to use and how to file (online or mail).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.