dayana_1313

Eligible for any emergency health insurance?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No such thing as Emergency Medicaid.

Most Hospitals are private entities aso it would be like any other liability.

I guess they have your SSN, otherwise you could have done what many do in this situation, false name and address or none and bye bye.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You cannot set up any kind of insurance program "after the fact". Your only avenues would be self pay or finding some pre-existing program (social or otherwise) that you qualify for.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Contact the hospital billing dept and talk to them..... they may be able to set up a payment plan for you to pay it off... you can not get medicaid.... there may be charities around who could help but your best option is to speak to the hospital...

Hope you recover quickly..

Kez

Kez, why would she not be eligible for some sort of emergency medicaid or any insurance of that nature?

There is nothing to stop her getting insurance.... maybe they should have looked into that prior to arrival in the US... as for medicare, it is a means tested benefit. the whole reason we have to complete the Affidavit of Support is to show that we will not claim public benefits once we are in the US....

Sorry but bad planning on the part of the immigrant does not mean free heath care.. sort out a payment plan with the hospital and check out getting insurance....

Kez

So receiving charity aid or emergency medicaid is public assistance and I wouldnt be eligible for it. But would the hospital know that? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused now. If I do apply for it and I receive it, would my Adjust of Status application be affected then...

Contact the hospital billing dept and talk to them..... they may be able to set up a payment plan for you to pay it off... you can not get medicaid.... there may be charities around who could help but your best option is to speak to the hospital...

Hope you recover quickly..

Kez

Kez, why would she not be eligible for some sort of emergency medicaid or any insurance of that nature?

There is nothing to stop her getting insurance.... maybe they should have looked into that prior to arrival in the US... as for medicare, it is a means tested benefit. the whole reason we have to complete the Affidavit of Support is to show that we will not claim public benefits once we are in the US....

Sorry but bad planning on the part of the immigrant does not mean free heath care.. sort out a payment plan with the hospital and check out getting insurance....

Kez

So receiving charity aid or emergency medicaid is public assistance and I wouldnt be eligible for it. But would the hospital know that? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused now. If I do apply for it and I receive it, would my Adjust of Status application be affected then...

the hospital applying a *charity discount* is not public assistance. Its a reduction on the total bill according to your income. Medicaid, is a different story - like Kezzie said.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, receipt of any form of medicare or medicaid WILL not automatically identify the recipient as a public charge in relation to the Affidavit of Support.

Emergency medicaid for short term rehabilitation is a benefit that can be claimed without adverse results on the sponsor of the affidavit of support. Receipt of medicare assistance to pay for long term assistance like nursing homes payments, etc, is quite a different thing.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

12/02/06 (Saturday)- mailed I-130/AOS/EAD to CHI via express mail

12/04/06 (Monday)- Packet delivered to CHI/Receipt date in NOA1 (Day 1)

12/08/06 - Checks cashed (Day 4)

12/11/06 - Received NOA1/I-797C Notice (Day 7)

12/14/06 - Touched: I-130/AOS/EAD (Day 10)

12/18/06 - Touched: I-130/EAD (Day 14)/ Received Biometrics Letter

12/19/06 - Touched: I-130/EAD (Day 15)

12/27/06 - Had Biometrics taken (Day 23)

12/28/06 - Touched: AOS/EAD (Day 24)

01/04/07 - Touched: AOS/EAD (Day 32)

01/22/07 - Received Interview Letter for March 8, 2007 (Day 50) (Thank you Lord!!!)

02/21/07 - Touched: I-130/AOS (Day 80)

02/22/07 - Touched EAD (Day 81)

02/26/07 - EAD approved as per email from CRIS (Day 85)--- Yay!!!

02/28/07 - EAD card ordered (Day 87)

03/02/07 - Received EAD

03/08/07 - Interview Day (Day 95)-- Approved! Whoohoo! Thank you Lord!!

03/09/07 - Email notice: "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"

03/13/07 - Email notice: "Card production ordered"

03/19/07 - Permanent Resident Card and "Welcome to America" notice received!!! Yahoo!!!

Jan 2009 - Divorce final

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I happened to mention to my human resources manager that my fiance had been ill and needed to see the doctor and said that I didn't think he'd be covered by insurance as we weren't married yet (it was 3 days before the ceremony). She said that she thought he might be and I called to find out. I said that he was here on a fiance visa (K-1) and the insurance rep said that because it was a fiance visa, he was covered from the minute he stepped off the plane here in the US.

Edited by smgx4000

Timeline
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, receipt of any form of medicare or medicaid WILL not automatically identify the recipient as a public charge in relation to the Affidavit of Support.

Emergency medicaid for short term rehabilitation is a benefit that can be claimed without adverse results on the sponsor of the affidavit of support. Receipt of medicare assistance to pay for long term assistance like nursing homes payments, etc, is quite a different thing.

I have to look into that, thanks for that information. This wouldnt be medicare medicaid for long-term assistance. But rather emergency medicaid for short term rehabiliation. So there might be hope... thanks again

You're welcome!

The topic has come up here in VJ in the past that I thought I'd research on it; thinking that it might clear things up for all of us.

I have to look into that, thanks for that information. This wouldnt be medicare medicaid for long-term assistance. But rather emergency medicaid for short term rehabiliation. So there might be hope... thanks again

12/02/06 (Saturday)- mailed I-130/AOS/EAD to CHI via express mail

12/04/06 (Monday)- Packet delivered to CHI/Receipt date in NOA1 (Day 1)

12/08/06 - Checks cashed (Day 4)

12/11/06 - Received NOA1/I-797C Notice (Day 7)

12/14/06 - Touched: I-130/AOS/EAD (Day 10)

12/18/06 - Touched: I-130/EAD (Day 14)/ Received Biometrics Letter

12/19/06 - Touched: I-130/EAD (Day 15)

12/27/06 - Had Biometrics taken (Day 23)

12/28/06 - Touched: AOS/EAD (Day 24)

01/04/07 - Touched: AOS/EAD (Day 32)

01/22/07 - Received Interview Letter for March 8, 2007 (Day 50) (Thank you Lord!!!)

02/21/07 - Touched: I-130/AOS (Day 80)

02/22/07 - Touched EAD (Day 81)

02/26/07 - EAD approved as per email from CRIS (Day 85)--- Yay!!!

02/28/07 - EAD card ordered (Day 87)

03/02/07 - Received EAD

03/08/07 - Interview Day (Day 95)-- Approved! Whoohoo! Thank you Lord!!

03/09/07 - Email notice: "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"

03/13/07 - Email notice: "Card production ordered"

03/19/07 - Permanent Resident Card and "Welcome to America" notice received!!! Yahoo!!!

Jan 2009 - Divorce final

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

You might want to try here: http://www.health.state.ny.us/health_care/medicaid/

NOTE: Medicaid coverage is available, regardless of alien status, if you are pregnant or require treatment for an emergency medical condition. A doctor must certify that you are pregnant or had an emergency, and you must meet all other eligibility requirements.

If they count your fiance, then you probably won't meet the income requirement (<$900/month for 2 people). May still be worth asking though.

Timeline

Hello, I was actually reading the instructions on form I-864, Affidavit of Support, and I came upon this paragraph that mentions the consequences of the U.S. Citizen filling out the I-864 form:

"If an intending immigrant becomes a permanent resident in the United States based on a Form I-864 that you have signed,then until your obligations under the Form I-864 terminate, your income and assets may be considered ("deemed") to beavailable to that person, in determining whether he or she is eligible for certain Federal means-tested public benefits and also for State or local means-tested public benefits, if the State or local government's rules provide for consideration("deeming”) of your income and assets as available to the person.

This provision does NOT apply to public benefits specified in section 403© of the Welfare Reform Act such as, but not limited to, emergency Medicaid, short-term, non-cash emergency relief; services provided under the National SchoolLunch and Child Nutrition Acts; immunizations and testing and treatment for communicable diseases; and means-tested programs under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act."

Based on this information, would this make me eligible for emergency medicaid without affecting my adjust of status application? We havent gotten up to the point of filling out the I-864 or I-485. But it seems like I can apply for this aid without having a problem. What do others think?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

It sounds like you can apply, but like the above poster said, you'll probably only qualify for the emergency medicaid if you make less than 900 dollars a month between the two of you.

Hello, I was actually reading the instructions on form I-864, Affidavit of Support, and I came upon this paragraph that mentions the consequences of the U.S. Citizen filling out the I-864 form:

"If an intending immigrant becomes a permanent resident in the United States based on a Form I-864 that you have signed,then until your obligations under the Form I-864 terminate, your income and assets may be considered ("deemed") to beavailable to that person, in determining whether he or she is eligible for certain Federal means-tested public benefits and also for State or local means-tested public benefits, if the State or local government's rules provide for consideration("deeming”) of your income and assets as available to the person.

This provision does NOT apply to public benefits specified in section 403© of the Welfare Reform Act such as, but not limited to, emergency Medicaid, short-term, non-cash emergency relief; services provided under the National SchoolLunch and Child Nutrition Acts; immunizations and testing and treatment for communicable diseases; and means-tested programs under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act."

Based on this information, would this make me eligible for emergency medicaid without affecting my adjust of status application? We havent gotten up to the point of filling out the I-864 or I-485. But it seems like I can apply for this aid without having a problem. What do others think?

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Timeline

Call your state Medicare helpline.... I spoke to my friend at luchtime about this as she is a medicare adjudication officer here in Boston.... she said that in MA a LPR can file for Medicare and it would be based on the household income.... I asked about someone here on K1 or waiting to get LPR... she said they would not qualify... your state may have other rules but she did say that the income limit is very low so it is only the very poor who can get help...

Good Luck

Kez

Timeline

This is probably a stretch, but what if I say that I just live with a friend who supports me (not fiance). Then won't they just count my income, which is zero since I dont work. And base the aid upon that? Or would the medicaid/insurance people have a way of knowing my fiance lives with me?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

:bonk:

Lying is probably not the best idea. Because that sounds like fraud to me, but I'm not 100% sure...

This is probably a stretch, but what if I say that I just live with a friend who supports me (not fiance). Then won't they just count my income, which is zero since I dont work. And base the aid upon that? Or would the medicaid/insurance people have a way of knowing my fiance lives with me?

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.