grrl77

Triple checking myself on K1 process because I'm paranoid :P

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi! I'm going to apologize in advance for the amount you might hear from me in the upcoming months - not because I haven't read the info, but because I'm paranoid and want to make sure everything's right. :) The boyfriend and I are beginning the process for the K-1 Visa. I wanted to make sure I'm understanding the first part of the process correctly:

Looks like the payment for USCIS for the I-129F package is $550. I'll cut a check.

Everything else seems self-explanatory (I read the Assembling the I-129F package checklist) but I wanted to make sure that the only thing I need from him (beneficiary) at this point, is for him to do a letter of intent to marry, a passport photo, and the G-325A to be filled out. Is that right?

I noticed it says to make copies of the entire package - when I send him the package when it's time for him to review it (after I-129 is approved), does that have to be original as well, or can it be copies? Should I maybe do three copies of the package - original to USCIS, one for my own records, and one for him?

As far as proof of our ongoing relationship - it indicates using things like cell phone bills, letters, etc - a lot of our communicating is done through video chat on Skype, and it's how we talk about this whole process, for the most part. Would copying off time stamps on Skype help prove this?

Mainly I want to make sure that what he needs to send me at this point in time, is what I noted above. Thanks so much, in advance, for your help! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi! I'm going to apologize in advance for the amount you might hear from me in the upcoming months - not because I haven't read the info, but because I'm paranoid and want to make sure everything's right. :) The boyfriend and I are beginning the process for the K-1 Visa. I wanted to make sure I'm understanding the first part of the process correctly:

Looks like the payment for USCIS for the I-129F package is $550. I'll cut a check.

Wrong amount. Read the current instructions, do a Google search on "USCIS 129f instrucitons".

Everything else seems self-explanatory (I read the Assembling the I-129F package checklist) but I wanted to make sure that the only thing I need from him (beneficiary) at this point, is for him to do a letter of intent to marry, a passport photo, and the G-325A to be filled out. Is that right?

Yep

I noticed it says to make copies of the entire package - when I send him the package when it's time for him to review it (after I-129 is approved), does that have to be original as well, or can it be copies?

A copy

Should I maybe do three copies of the package - original to USCIS, one for my own records, and one for him?

That's suggested.

As far as proof of our ongoing relationship - it indicates using things like cell phone bills, letters, etc - a lot of our communicating is done through video chat on Skype, and it's how we talk about this whole process, for the most part. Would copying off time stamps on Skype help prove this?

You need more than that. How will you prove you have a legitimate relationship to a total stranger (the Embassy CO) unless you can show them what you talk about (the serious relationship stuff)? I'd suggest you purposefully generate all kinds of evidences that can document what you talk about. Email is best.

Mainly I want to make sure that what he needs to send me at this point in time, is what I noted above. Thanks so much, in advance, for your help! :)

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Hmm. We don't really have any e-mails talking about our decision to move forward with this process - I just spent two weeks with him over Christmas where we decided to go for it, and we talked about it in person, of course. A lot of the back and forth convos we have are via Skype, face to face - even going through the forms together. I understand what you mean by the consulate folks needing proof of the ongoing relationship - you're suggesting to just generate an email and just talk about our plans once he's here, or the process of all this for example? Something to reflect plans?

Timeline

I understand what you mean by the consulate folks needing proof of the ongoing relationship - you're suggesting to just generate an email and just talk about our plans once he's here, or the process of all this for example? Something to reflect plans?

Not just the plans for obtaining the visa, discussion about the evolution and seriousness of your relationship.

This also depends on which country he is coming from. You haven't created a timeline or added this information in your profile therefore we can't help with that.

Look at it another way, "How would the Embassy know you are not committing visa fraud?" Your word alone is not good enough.

Timeline

Well... In my mind, I'm thinking showing the fact we laid out $1700 for him to come here over the summer for a week, and I just got back from there for two weeks, spending Christmas with him and his family shows seriousness. :) Going through this process alone paying nearly $2K shows some seriousness as well.

I'm not being argumentative here, don't get me wrong - I've got airline itineraries, photos of he and I in Amsterdam together (he's from the Netherlands), photos of his family which I've met, he's met my sister (I can provide a voucher letter from her) ... It's just when you talk about proving the seriousness of the relationship, to me, I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to go visit someone and vice versa, if I wasn't serious about something working out, you know?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

First off, congrats and welcome to the journey! :)

I've sent 3 photos and 5 video screenshots showing date stamps from Skype. Not even logs (as, naturally, we talk in Russian). What matters most are the plain ticket stubs / visa stamps - actually showing that you two have had face-to-face time over the last 2 years. People seriously stress about the so-called "proof" too much. :) If your fiancee is in a low-stress country not high on the fraud list, you really can take it easy.

Remember: any piece of paper you send over is a piece of paper they need to review! Some people front-load their application with millions of small things, handwritten things, etc, but I think selecting just a nice clean representative sample and presenting it well* is actually better. You save USCIS time and don't risk any extra scrutiny and confusion over something minor.

--------

* for my return ticket, my initial mid-way connection flight was cancelled, and I changed the ticket twice! Writing this up in a presentable way and including the ticket stubs was a pain. :) But it payed off, no questions asked.

K1 to POE
01.14.2015 - met online in an RPG chatroom
02.27.2015 - met in person
04.20.2015 - I-129F mailed
04.21.2015 - I-129F received by the Lockbox as per USPS site
04.24.2015 - NOA-1 electronic copy received: both SMS (text) and e-mail
04.30.2015 - NOA-1 paper version received
06.01.2015 - NOA-2 e-mail. SQUEE! =)
06.05.2015 - NOA-2 paper version.
06.12.2015 - NVC Received, Case # Assigned (not yet visible on CEAC)
06.17.2015 - NVC processing completed, now visible on CEAC with status "Ready"
06.24.2015 - CEAC status "Administrative Processing" (for Russia: received by the Embassy, can schedule the interview).
06.26.2015 - Crossed the t's and dotted the i's, this time for real. Scheduled the interview!
07.20.2015 - Medical. Piece of cake!
07.22.2015 - Interview. 2 hours worth of waiting and 5 minutes worth of talking to the consul, "your visa is approved". Yaaay!
10.09.2015 - POE in Boston, MA. Hooray!! Welcome, my love.

POE to Green Card:
10.09.2015 - POE in Boston, MA
10.14.2015 - applied for SSN; got it a couple days later in the mail
10.31.2015 - Wedding :halloween:
11.21.2015 - Filed AOS (package including Travel Parole & Employment)
11.25.2015 - electronic NOA-1(s), 11.27.2015 - Check cashed
11.30.2015 - NOA-1s

12.18.2015 - RFE (forgot to write my name in one place on the Affidavit of Support)

12.21.2015 - Biometrics

12.23.2015 - RFE Response received by USCIS

02.10.2016 - EAD/AP approved!

02.10.2016 - EAD/AP received!

05.12.2016 - Interview scheduled for 06.15.2016 (wow, that really took 6 months from filing...)

06.15.2016 - Interview. Approved! (but not at the interview, got notification about 4 hours later)

06.30.2016 - Green Card Received!

Timeline

I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to go visit someone and vice versa, if I wasn't serious about something working out, you know?

Not if the potential immigrant was giving you a kick-back for your "cost".

Your argument that you wouldn't have spent all this time and money is proof enough of a relationship is all wrong.

That being said, he's not from a high fraud country, so the proof you will need should be quite low. Showing that you've traveled to each other's countries and met family and friends is great.

However, I would still suggest you do some other means of communications, sometimes, where you can document what you are talking about.

You should be talking about the visa process and then his new life in the US and what planning is needed for that.

He's from Netherlands, so its a low fraud country (I'm from UK, which is also a low fraud country).

We provided a number of photographs of us together from various trips, plus copies of passport stamps and boarding passes. I provided no chat logs or screenshots of skype calls (though we skyped almost daily).

Remember, initially you only have to prove that you've met in person at least once within the past 2 years. When attending my interview in London I bought a couple of facebook print outs announcing our engagement and showing us together in the US with her family at xmas - but they never asked to see these. The interview was very quick and I think they'd already made up their minds that it was a genuine relationship (people from western countries have little reason to marry for a visa as they are already living in a western country). I think if he is from Netherlands, you are similar ages and everything else checks out you won't have any problems.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Well... In my mind, I'm thinking showing the fact we laid out $1700 for him to come here over the summer for a week, and I just got back from there for two weeks, spending Christmas with him and his family shows seriousness. :) Going through this process alone paying nearly $2K shows some seriousness as well.

I'm not being argumentative here, don't get me wrong - I've got airline itineraries, photos of he and I in Amsterdam together (he's from the Netherlands), photos of his family which I've met, he's met my sister (I can provide a voucher letter from her) ... It's just when you talk about proving the seriousness of the relationship, to me, I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to go visit someone and vice versa, if I wasn't serious about something working out, you know?

$2k really isn't much for this process. The photos, passport stamps, boarding passes, family photos, and other details help more than saying I spent $2k on this process.

In the past year going to China to see my Fiancee on more than one occasion I have spent close to $12k, and she has also put in close to $4k.

You also need to be prepared for the rest of the fees, the total cost for a K-1 from start to Finish (AOS) costs close to $2000

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi, I had similar concerns. What if my fiance is from a high-risk country, say - Nigeria. Would you then front-load with alot of relationship evidence? If so, what types?

I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to go visit someone and vice versa, if I wasn't serious about something working out, you know?

Not if the potential immigrant was giving you a kick-back for your "cost".

Your argument that you wouldn't have spent all this time and money is proof enough of a relationship is all wrong.

That being said, he's not from a high fraud country, so the proof you will need should be quite low. Showing that you've traveled to each other's countries and met family and friends is great.

However, I would still suggest you do some other means of communications, sometimes, where you can document what you are talking about.

You should be talking about the visa process and then his new life in the US and what planning is needed for that.

Looks like the payment for USCIS for the I-129F package is $550. I'll cut a check. $340!

I noticed it says to make copies of the entire package - when I send him the package when it's time for him to review it (after I-129 is approved), does that have to be original as well, or can it be copies? Should I maybe do three copies of the package - original to USCIS, one for my own records, and one for him? Always good to have multiple copies!

As far as proof of our ongoing relationship - it indicates using things like cell phone bills, letters, etc - a lot of our communicating is done through video chat on Skype, and it's how we talk about this whole process, for the most part. Would copying off time stamps on Skype help prove this? I sent in a brief log.. over a few months. Just times called not specific conversations.

As others have said before, in the long run the cost will be much higher than $2000.

I think we have spent closer to $7,000. Including traveling back and forth to see each other. Plus this is only the first phase of immigration!

Timeline

Hi, I had similar concerns. What if my fiance is from a high-risk country, say - Nigeria. Would you then front-load with alot of relationship evidence? If so, what types?

Yes for sure. Look at the regional forums for more country-specific info.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Definitely front-load for Nigeria.

OP, I think what people are saying about proving the evolution of the relationship is this- Believe it or not, people pay thousands upon thousands to get to America any way they can. So being devil's advocate about the situation- who's to say that going back and forth and spending money to visit isn't a front? How can you prove to them that you are actually skyping and "spending time" together instead of just turning on the cameras and walking away for a few hours?

You've got to prove that you have a true relationship and conversations are one way to show that. I was speaking with a Visa Officer and she suggested printing out a few pages of chat logs (we use Whatsapp) for each month that we've been in contact. So generally, it would should the progression of our relationship through our chats. Although that can be fabricated too- any proof is helpful.

Good luck on your process! Just take a deep breath and things should be fine!

Edited by FN&KO

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.