tinabina1

how to file for joint sponsorship, 221g- need complete instructions (merged)

78 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

If you are filing for your husband to come, you are the sponser. You will fill one and and submit what is asked of you in link. If you have a co sponser cause u don't meet income requirements, they will fill one out also and submit the required information as stated in link.

The sponser is always the person here, who is submitting the petition for their spouse overseas.

Edited by FarrahIdir

7/30/2015 Sent I130 priority mail to have tracking, I suggest you do the same.

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

♤♤while waiting for noa2, I read this wiki to get through

NVC quickly ->http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

12/24/2015 Petition Sent to NVC from Nebraska

1/4/2016 petition received at NVC (call and confirm it arrives. About 15 days try to get your case number and receipt number, I got mine in 11 days)

1/15/2016 Called NVC and got case/invoice number logged into this site to pay fees, pick agent -> https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx 1/15/2016 picked agent DS-261

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

1/28/2016 review 261 to get iv fee unlocked ( unlocked once I did review,was taking to long)

2/1/ 2016 sent AOS & IV packets together to nvc while I waited for iv fee to open to save time.

2/4/2016 paid IV Fee and waited to do ds260

2/3/2016 nvc received aos and iv packets(scan date)

2/7/2016 ds260 completed and now waiting for cc

♧CASE COMPLETE. .. march 8th

3/11/15 interview email

4/20/15 shots 4/25/15 rest of medical exam

INTERVIEW APRIL 27TH @8:30

April 27th 221g for additional documentation and placed in administrative processsing.

June 20th submitted evidence requested

June 23rd case was touched by embassy

August 1st case was touched again.

AUGUST 16TH embassy called and wants a new co sponser yet he met requirements.

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

Sept 28th update and embassy called

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

hello everyone!

please direct me to a website or write here if you can, to tell me how to file and fill affidavit of support 1864 with joint sponsorship. My questions are these

1) do i have to fill two forms one with my husband (us citizen) like his i 864 and one with the person sponsoring us? so in total 2 i864 forms?

2) should i submit tax returns for both (my husband and the person sponsoring us)? if yes, then how many years of tax returns should we submit?

3) Are these documents required to submit for both my husband and the sponsor? a) pay stub b) employment letter c) tax returns? IRS document? If they are more documents required please inform me.

4) Absolutely anything that I'm missing please inform me

The fee letter includes the website where you pay the fee, download the I-864 cover page, and get information on how to file the I-864. Follow the instructions in the fee letter and website.

1. USC husband files an I-864. Joint Sponsor files his/her own I-864. So, two I-864s.

2. Yes (follow the instructions), you need the most recent and COMPLETE tax return for 2014 or a tax transcript for 2014. Husband will need to attest that he filed US tax returns for the last 3 years or why he was excused for any of the last 3 years.

3. There are more documents depending on your situation. No one can tell you what they are. Follow the I-864 instructions.

4. Read and follow the forms instructions.

--------

Has your husband been contacted by the NVC to pay the fees?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

It should have everything g u need for sponser and for co sponser listed.

thanks for replying but i didnt find my answers on this site :(

Timeline

thanks for replying but i didnt find my answers on this site :(

weird, it says what u have to do for sponser and forms needed.

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

1/4/2016 petition received at NVC (call and confirm it arrives. About 15 days try to get your case number and receipt number, I got mine in 11 days)

1/15/2016 Called NVC and got case/invoice number logged into this site to pay fees, pick agent -> https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx 1/15/2016 picked agent DS-261

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

1/28/2016 review 261 to get iv fee unlocked ( unlocked once I did review,was taking to long)

2/1/ 2016 sent AOS & IV packets together to nvc while I waited for iv fee to open to save time.

3/11/15 interview email

April 27th 221g for additional documentation and placed in administrative processsing.

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Timeline

The fee letter includes the website where you pay the fee, download the I-864 cover page, and get information on how to file the I-864. Follow the instructions in the fee letter and website.

1. USC husband files an I-864. Joint Sponsor files his/her own I-864. So, two I-864s.

2. Yes (follow the instructions), you need the most recent and COMPLETE tax return for 2014 or a tax transcript for 2014. Husband will need to attest that he filed US tax returns for the last 3 years or why he was excused for any of the last 3 years.

3. There are more documents depending on your situation. No one can tell you what they are. Follow the I-864 instructions.

4. Read and follow the forms instructions.

--------

Has your husband been contacted by the NVC to pay the fees?

We have already paid the fees (both fees) had the interview everything seemed fine, and also submitted affidavit of support ez (six months back) interview almost went fine they gave me a 221G and asked for tax return 2014; i feel they should have contacted me and informed me that we filed for the wrong affidavit when we submitted our documents to the NVC, why complete our case when we we still not done with this nightmare? I was sooo relieved when we got the case complete email but we are still in the same old step!

Timeline

With no joint sponsors:

-Bar-coded cover sheet from payment portal

-Cover letter (optional)

You can find a sample cover letter I wrote here [17]

-Original completed, signed, and dated I-864 form by petitioner

-Tax information^^ of petitioner (either just the last year OR the last 3 years)

-Employment letter of petitioner (optional, but good proof of CURRENT income)

-Pay stub(s) of petitioner (optional, but good proof of CURRENT income)

With joint sponsors:

-All of the above of the petitioner

-Original completed, signed, and dated I-864 of joint sponsor

-Tax information^^ of joint sponsor (either just the last year OR the last 3 years)

-Proof of US citizenship/residency of joint sponsor (ex: copy of US passport, US birth certificate, US naturalization certificate, or front & back of green card)

-Employment letter of joint sponsor (optional, but good proof of CURRENT income)

-Pay stub(s) of joint sponsor (optional, but good proof of CURRENT income)

^^You have two choices here of what to send in:

- Tax return transcripts ordered from IRS (preferred by NVC and of most consulates/embassies) RECOMMENDED

OR

- Tax returns (1040), W2s, 1099s, and any other schedules/worksheets (if applicable)

Note: If you haven't filed this year's taxes yet and filed for an extension instead, you can submit the tax extension letter in lieu of an entire tax return or tax transcript. Please be warned though, the consulate/embassy may request for this year's taxes to be filed despite applying for an extension.

*u just needed to scroll down and read it... ;-)

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

3/11/15 interview email

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Timeline

With no joint sponsors:

-Bar-coded cover sheet from payment portal

-Cover letter (optional)

You can find a sample cover letter I wrote here [17]

-Original completed, signed, and dated I-864 form by petitioner

-Tax information^^ of petitioner (either just the last year OR the last 3 years)

-Employment letter of petitioner (optional, but good proof of CURRENT income)

-Pay stub(s) of petitioner (optional, but good proof of CURRENT income)

With joint sponsors:

-All of the above of the petitioner

-Original completed, signed, and dated I-864 of joint sponsor

-Tax information^^ of joint sponsor (either just the last year OR the last 3 years)

-Proof of US citizenship/residency of joint sponsor (ex: copy of US passport, US birth certificate, US naturalization certificate, or front & back of green card)

-Employment letter of joint sponsor (optional, but good proof of CURRENT income)

-Pay stub(s) of joint sponsor (optional, but good proof of CURRENT income)

^^You have two choices here of what to send in:

- Tax return transcripts ordered from IRS (preferred by NVC and of most consulates/embassies) RECOMMENDED

OR

- Tax returns (1040), W2s, 1099s, and any other schedules/worksheets (if applicable)

Note: If you haven't filed this year's taxes yet and filed for an extension instead, you can submit the tax extension letter in lieu of an entire tax return or tax transcript. Please be warned though, the consulate/embassy may request for this year's taxes to be filed despite applying for an extension.

*u just needed to scroll down and read it... ;-)

Thankyou sooo much!! :))))

i guess im sooo stressed and done with this monstrous process that im losing my ability to read lol!

thanks again! :)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

We have already paid the fees (both fees) had the interview everything seemed fine, and also submitted affidavit of support ez (six months back) interview almost went fine they gave me a 221G and asked for tax return 2014; i feel they should have contacted me and informed me that we filed for the wrong affidavit when we submitted our documents to the NVC, why complete our case when we we still not done with this nightmare? I was sooo relieved when we got the case complete email but we are still in the same old step!

Sorry about your situation and the delay in getting to the US. However, the US government is not responsible for any delays when the USC files the wrong affidavit. When you choose to forego a lawyer and approach immigration as a do-it-yourself project, then you are responsible for filing the correct affidavit. While the NVC should have caught your mistake, it is not on them when they don't catch your mistake.

If the NVC had caught your mistake, you would have gotten an RFE and your case would have been delayed regardless.

Edited by aaron2020

~~moved to AP and waivers from IR1/CR1 process and procedures. OP says they received a 221g at interview~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

hey this is a little off topic but since we are talking about joint sponsor, i need to know that USCIS recently asked me to file for a joint sponsor, i checked many websites there was a lot of info and a lot of maths that i could not do. Can anyone tell me in very simple layman terms, that for TWO PEOPLE husband and wife only; approximately how much salary should be ok (IF WE DONT FILE FOR JOINT SPONSORSHIP) LIKE IF WE USE 1864 EZ. can anyone give me rough estimate of annual income?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hey this is a little off topic but since we are talking about joint sponsor, i need to know that USCIS recently asked me to file for a joint sponsor, i checked many websites there was a lot of info and a lot of maths that i could not do. Can anyone tell me in very simple layman terms, that for TWO PEOPLE husband and wife only; approximately how much salary should be ok (IF WE DONT FILE FOR JOINT SPONSORSHIP) LIKE IF WE USE 1864 EZ. can anyone give me rough estimate of annual income?

hi

over 19k

you can download the i864P, poverty guidelines and check the amount for the household size of 2

www.uscis.gov/forms download i864P

Timeline

hi

over 19k

you can download the i864P, poverty guidelines and check the amount for the household size of 2

www.uscis.gov/forms download i864P

hey "over 19 k" should this be modified adjusted gross income or annual income?

Gross income not net income. Before, not after taxes. Should be US based or continuing in the USA. Also in May generally the I-864P income levels increase.

So the spouse if working 40 hours a week, 52 paid weeks a year, should make at least $9.60/hr However, theoretically one could make more than enough to sponsor a spouse but realistically, they may make less than that due to unpaid vacation time or less than 40 hours per week.

The US spouse would have to make minimum $382.92 per week. $765.85 per 2 week pay period. They could supplement the difference will well documented, easily liquidated assets.

(note the numbers don't quite add up due to rounding up and down. It's not an exact figure because of decimal points.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...

On the tax return, The Adjusted Gross Income (line 37 from 1040 individual income tax return).

And the minimum amount to meet 125% of poverty line is actually 19,900 something so to be on the safe side, it should really be 20,000 USD or above for a family of two (Husband & Wife)

In addition, this income should be from a source that continues, so an employment letter helps.

The person should be domiciled in the USA. Should be a citizen or green card holder.. which in your husband's case does apply automatically.

I got asked the same thing. to bring a joint sponsor.

We were so happy in Islamabad. Got there 2 days prior, stayed at the Serena., had a wonderful time. Serena was lit up with christmas decorations (mid december) I had my i864 with 15k in AGI and an additional $60,000 in cash assets for which I had bank statements covering the past 12 months. I had the funds spread out in 5 different banks so the CO refused to accept it when I handed him a 2 inch thick stack of bank statements and said just get a cosponsor and do it quickly if I'm planning to stick around for about 3-4 weeks, which I wasn't. Had to get back :(( So I have also the 221 paper. I asked and he said yes he's keeping my wife's passport. Now I need a joint sponsor and all my friends are weary of signing one for me. Which is just pure unadulterated disappointment., as I would help someone out- esp a friend if I could but here I am -_- Anyway, enough rant.

Now, I have a question.

So far, I've been looking in my pool of single friends to our joint sponsor but it occurred to me that a married friend might be able to help. So, a married friend who files jointly with his wife and has dependents.. can a person like that be my joint sponsor? If so, will he alone be my joint sponsor or his wife as well? Will I need to submit copy of his passport/green card alone or also his wife's and children's documents as well., who are all dependents on his tax return. Please help. Thanks.

IR-1/CR-1

NOA-1 December 16, 2014

REF- June 24, 2015 ---------------190 days since NOA 1

RFE Respond- July 5, 2015 ----

NOA- 2 July 24, 2015 ------------- 220 days since NOA 1

NVC Sent- August 04, 2015 ----- 11 days since NOA 2

NVC Rcvd- August 18, 2015 ---- 14 days later
Case ID & IIN obtained- August 21, 2015 (over phone)

DS 261 completed- August 25, 2015

AOS Paid- August 25, 2015

Documents Sent- September 28

IV Paid- September 28, 2015

Document Scan- October 2, 2015

DS 260 Completed- October 5, 2015

Case Complete- October 29, 2015 --------- 27 days since Case Complete

Interview Scheduled- November 14, 2015 (Interview date- December 15, 2015)

Medical Done- November 23, 2015

Interview- December 15, 2015

Result- Need joint sponsor. Liquid assets not accepted.

... Looking for joint sponsor now.

Visa In Hand- .....

POE- .....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.