Natandaustin

Drivers License

16 posts in this topic

I have tried to do an internet search for this but I am getting a little lost in information, so hoping you guys can help from experience!

I will be moving to Florida with my fiance, and I am trying to work out how I can go about driving over there.

I have heard I can drive on my UK license for up to a year after entry into the country, is this correct?

Also, what do I to get an American license - is it a simple exchange by showing them I passed in the UK and they grant a USA one, or do I have to go through another drivers test?

Im sorry if these have really obvious answers but I'm just getting a tad lost!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

every state is different but Florida and my state allow 1 year on foreign license

will have to take written test to apply for learner's permit

and then road test

no getting around this

most states allow the US citizen to just take the written test for your finacee

Varies by state, go on the Florida DMV web site. Here, Maryland, I had to do a 3 hour drug and alcohol course which was more annoying given the attitude of many to drink driving here, Then a written test, very easy and a road test, absolute doddle. If you've done a UK test you will have no trouble passing here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm in FL and while I'm not sure how long you can drive on another country's license you can Google "florida acceptable document table" to see the pdf that explains what docs are needed for immigrants to get a license.

Good luck!

07/31/05 First met in Ft Lauderdale

06/26/13 DOMA overturned

07/16/13 Married in Rockville, Maryland

08/22/13 Day 0 Mailed AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox (I-130, I-485, I-765)

11/20/13 Day 90 AOS Interview completed - Approved!

09/01/15 Day 740 I-751 Mailed ROC packet to California Service Center

04/08/16 Day 960 I-751 RFE received - need to provide more evidence of financial commingling

05/03/16 Day 985 RFE response sent

06/07/16 Day 1020 I-751 approval notice received

06/16/16 Day 1029 10-year greencard received

11/16/16 Day 1182 Mailed N-400 citizenship application

08/21/17 Day 1460 Received alert that naturalization interview was scheduled

09/28/17 Day 1498 N-400 interview completed - Approved!

10/20/17 Day 1520 Oath ceremony finished - now a US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No state allows a new resident as year, Go to the DMV site and see how long a new resident has to get a Florida license.

Bear in mind they drive on the wrong side of the road and apparently the driving standards in Florida is something to be seen.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

UK license can be used in the USA for up to a year, but you will have to take a written and driving test for your local State, your Brit licence can not be swapped one for one

The official line for Brits is you have 30-60 days to gain a US DL, go to DMV and register for your learners permit, take your test happy days

If you have an accident and you haven't even made an effort to start the process you may be in the dogs doo doo

I drove rentals on my UK licence, but took my test here asap, it is sooooooooooooo easy!!

Edited by DJ6372

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

UK license can be used in the USA for up to a year,

Horribly wrong

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I have tried to do an internet search for this but I am getting a little lost in information, so hoping you guys can help from experience!

I will be moving to Florida with my fiance, and I am trying to work out how I can go about driving over there.

I have heard I can drive on my UK license for up to a year after entry into the country, is this correct?

Also, what do I to get an American license - is it a simple exchange by showing them I passed in the UK and they grant a USA one, or do I have to go through another drivers test?

Im sorry if these have really obvious answers but I'm just getting a tad lost!

I found this:

When must a driver get a Florida driver license?

You must get a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a resident. You are considered a resident of Florida if you:

1. Enroll your children in public school, or

2. Register to vote, or

3. File for a homestead exemption, or

4. Accept employment, or

5. Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months.

Source: http://www.flhsmv.gov/FLVisitorsFAQs.htm

The documents you need http://www.gathergoget.com

As a non-immigrant you would need EAD. There is wording that you can use your unexpired I-94 if it has more than 30 days remaining on it. So theoretically you could maybe get a license good until your 90 days is up, but you would first need to get your SSN. And yes you take the tests vision, written, and driving.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

You can use your UK license for up to a year if you are a visitor. It is different if you are a resident. In my state Massachusetts from the day you become a resident you need a Massachusetts license.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

As a Florida resident for half of my life, I can confirm that what Nich-Nick posted is 100% correct when dealing with Florida.

I haven't filed for Jon yet but when I was just there to renew my registration I asked this very question so that I knew the answer when we got to this point.

For clarification (which seems to have been provided already) you can use your UK license to drive in the US for UP to a year if you are visiting for that long. As provided above in the state of Florida you have 30 days from when you establish residency to file for your Driver's License. In Florida they clarified for me that this would be once you are approved with your EAD. Your I-94 would work but the Supervisor I asked at my local DMV said it is best to just wait and drive as a visitor until you have your EAD since that is the legal document proving you legally reside/work within the country and it will save you a few bucks for not doing it twice so close together. They told me this because the I-94 proves you entered legally but does not prove you are actually going to stay (hence the getting married to legally stay) it is best to just wait. (Hurray for knowledgeable DMV people!)

As Nich- Nick said, you will have to take the written, driving, and vision test. The vision test is super simple though! I had to take it recently since I had Lasik done to remove the fact that I need corrective lenses on my license! Not to mention it will be easier to get your license once you have your EAD because in Florida the list of documents you need is substantial and with your EAD you have proof of your address in the letter they send to you with it inside!

Let me know if you need further clarification! I live really close to my DMV and the same person I asked before told me that they would be happy to answer anymore questions for me!

Edit: Sorry I posted on this so late! Work has been crazier than usual so I hope this information was still helpful!

Edited by Kat&Jon

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

Kat&Jon (and NichNick), thanks so much for confirming the FL requirements. I was a bit anxious reading some of the above as I thought I had previously read that you couldn't even apply for a US drivers licence until the EAD card was approved/ issued. That's what I was going by, so it's a relief to read that it was indeed correct. My EAD/ AP should be arriving sometime in January, so my plan was to brush up on the FL DMV website/ drivers manual once into the New Year, get up to speed, and then start the application process once my EAD card arrives. I've been driving my partner's car on my UK licence, which his insurance is also well aware of that fact (they even have a copy of my UK licence on file.)

Oh yes, and I can confirm that the driving "standards" in Florida are absolutely abysmal. I think only Third World countries have worse standards of driving. If you've ever watched an old Keystone Cops movie with cars crashing left right and centre, that's not far off what it's like down here...

As a Florida resident for half of my life, I can confirm that what Nich-Nick posted is 100% correct when dealing with Florida.

I haven't filed for Jon yet but when I was just there to renew my registration I asked this very question so that I knew the answer when we got to this point.

For clarification (which seems to have been provided already) you can use your UK license to drive in the US for UP to a year if you are visiting for that long. As provided above in the state of Florida you have 30 days from when you establish residency to file for your Driver's License. In Florida they clarified for me that this would be once you are approved with your EAD. Your I-94 would work but the Supervisor I asked at my local DMV said it is best to just wait and drive as a visitor until you have your EAD since that is the legal document proving you legally reside/work within the country and it will save you a few bucks for not doing it twice so close together. They told me this because the I-94 proves you entered legally but does not prove you are actually going to stay (hence the getting married to legally stay) it is best to just wait. (Hurray for knowledgeable DMV people!)

As Nich- Nick said, you will have to take the written, driving, and vision test. The vision test is super simple though! I had to take it recently since I had Lasik done to remove the fact that I need corrective lenses on my license! Not to mention it will be easier to get your license once you have your EAD because in Florida the list of documents you need is substantial and with your EAD you have proof of your address in the letter they send to you with it inside!

Let me know if you need further clarification! I live really close to my DMV and the same person I asked before told me that they would be happy to answer anymore questions for me!

Edit: Sorry I posted on this so late! Work has been crazier than usual so I hope this information was still helpful!

Edited by ChasUno

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dmv.org/international-driver-permits.php

According to the insurance company and state police it's valid for up to one year in Virginia. Please check the state you're in if it applies. Some states may not even recognize your IDP or licence. The written test and the driving test are ridiculously easy. Drive around the block 2 minutes and a bunch of common sense questions. Seriously, just get a licence if you can. State ID is a valuble asset. Some stores didn't even want to accept my passport (which is wrong), but it tells you the mentality for a minority of people...

Edited by DaveNot

http://www.dmv.org/international-driver-permits.php

According to the insurance company and state police it's valid for up to one year in Virginia. Please check the state you're in if it applies. Some states may not even recognize your IDP or licence. The written test and the driving test are ridiculously easy. Drive around the block 2 minutes and a bunch of common sense questions. Seriously, just get a licence if you can. State ID is a valuble asset. Some stores didn't even want to accept my passport (which is wrong), but it tells you the mentality for a minority of people...

Completely agree

personally I think IDP is a waste of money, its basicaly a translation, you UK licence is in english so why get an IDP?

As for State licence, as you said so easy to pass and works as your ID

UK licence may be valid, but not all cops know what it is!!

My fear is insurance companies would go into unhelpful mode if you did have an accident and didn't have a local DL

Edited by DJ6372

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.