cdctke

Name change after the marriage

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance's K-1 Visa was approved in October. She will be arriving in the US in January.

Question: She wants to change her last name to mine. Is that a smart thing to do in light of the forms we will need to complete to change her status, file for a SSN, Work Visa, etc. or is it a non-issue?

Thanks,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Change her last name if she likes

when you go to apply for SS, take the marriage licence and ask for name to be as yours

this is no different than marrying and making name change here

from there apply for all under the new name

passport? not sure what her country would want when it comes up for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from K1 to AOS forum as questions pertains to that part of the process. ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Name change after marriage is easy with one exception based on our experience. we had to do the SSC in her maiden name as the SSA clerk said it needed to match the current I94 and her passport (some clerks seem to recognize a marriage certificate and some don't). Once we received her EAD in her married name, we were able to change the name on the SSC. The only thing we didn't change was her current Russian passport which from the information I have found is a very difficult and time consuming process. So far this has been no big deal except for when she travels, we have to purchase the tickets in her maiden name, and so far she has had no issues re-entering the US with her GR in her married name as she keeps a copy of the marriage certificate with her.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

passport? not sure what her country would want when it comes up for renewal

My fiance's K-1 Visa was approved in October. She will be arriving in the US in January.

Question: She wants to change her last name to mine. Is that a smart thing to do in light of the forms we will need to complete to change her status, file for a SSN, Work Visa, etc. or is it a non-issue?

Thanks,

Mabuhay! It will be a good new year for the two you! Joan got her SSN in her maiden name two weeks after she arrived. She changed her name in the traditional Filipino way on our marriage certificate. All AOS papers including EAD/AP were filled out in married name. She had minor issues changing her name on her SSN afterwards, but nothing major. We filed the Report of Marriage at the Philippine Embassy. It was easy for her to renew her passport in her married name at the embassy (I think we only brought a copy of the ROM and marriage certificate). Good luck.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

A week or so after Chinook arrived here on her K-1 visa, she applied for her Social Security number in her maiden name. She received her Social Security card a week or two later.

After that, we got married. A few days later, we got a copy of our marriage certificate at the county clerk's office and then we went over to the Social Security office where Chinook filed for a name change to her married name. This took place a little more than two weeks before her I-94. expired. She got her new Social Security card a week or two later.

As soon as we were married, Chinook started using my last name as her last name. She also moved her maiden last name to her middle name, just like they do it in the Philippines. She used her married name when she filed to adjust her status.

Thanks Tahoma. Sounds like what we will be doing.

Prepare yourselves for Social Security personnel who don't have a clue about the rules for a K-1'er. If they give you any flack, just ask to speak with a supervisor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.