brwneyez803

What do we do?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi. My name is Angela and I'm new to this site.

I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions for me. I was born and raised in this country. My husband came here (United States) illegally from Mexico in 2000. Since being here, he has always had a job of some sort...landscaping, irrigation, restaurant work, things like that. More recently he has worked in car dealerships and the hospital as a bilingual medical interpreter. His English is excellent, and he has always been very well respected in every job he has had here.

We've been married over a year and a half now. We got married in July '05. We both knew that getting married wouldn't make him an instant citizen like people often believe. In September of '05 we met with an immigration lawyer to talk about getting him legalized in this country. The lawyer was helpful, but the whole process sounded confusing and he didn't seem real optimistic about my husband's chances towards legalization in this country. Due to the financial issues involved, we didn't even start the paperwork because we didn't have enough money at the time. Now we are wanting to get back into the process again. I get scared everytime he applies for a new job because I'm afraid that his status will be discovered. A few weeks ago, the car company he was working for got shut down and everyone was laid off. He started putting in applications for employment everywhere, and honestly it was a nerve-wracking experience, because there was always constant worries about his status. He took a part job temporarily at a different car dealership, and they discovered his illegal status. Fortunately, the manager really liked him and offered to pay him cash instead of by check and said he would not disclose anything about my husband's status in this country. My husband wound up taking a full time job at the hospital (what he wanted originally anyway), but he also left the dealership partly out of fear.

I guess I really have several questions and I wanted to hear from anyone who has experience with this situation. Where do we start this process? I've tried researching this on the internet and I get really confused trying to understand all the different forms that have to be filled out and what the different forms mean. And just in personal opinion, what are his chances of getting legalized here? Also, are there any bills or anything going through the government now that are in favor of legalizing illegal immigrants? I know at one point last year there was talk of a possible bill from the President that would help legalize immigrants already living here for a certain number of years. Is there anything like that happening again?

I know I've thrown a lot of information and questions in here, but I would really appreciate any information that anyone could suggest. Like I said, he and I both live in fear because of his status. It's one of my worst fears that one day I'm going to get a call that my husband has been deported. Also, he really misses his family. He hasn't seen them since the day he left Mexico and it tears him up to not have seen them for so long, yet he is determined to live in this country. I've never even met my husband's side of the family because they were not able to come for our wedding and we obviously can't go there. I really want my husband to be able to live freely in this country without fear and to be able to go to Mexico to see his family without fear of not being able to get back in this country.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Quite a situation.

As far as the laws being changed to give an avenue for illegal immigrants to become legal immigraints is stalled last I heard. Not really sure anything will happen down that avenue for at least a couple years.

I really dont know if there is any path you can take. You might finding moving to and living in mexico a better option. Ussualy overstay of a visa or entry into the US without a visa is grounds for denial if you were to apply for a visa. I dont know if there are options in getting waviers for that.

I dont know how many people here can give good advice in this situation. Finding a lawyer might be the best bet.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am unsure how much help you will receive here regarding the mess that's in front of you. It's obvious you realize that illegal is illegal. There are no shortcuts through this process and you see the risks and consequences of the illegal route taken here. I'm not going to preach to you because I am certain you will get flooded with a ton of comments on this topic. The only thing I have to say is about that car dealership manager paying by cash. Employers who support this know it's wrong as the government is cracking down on these companies. Getting paid under the table without having taxes deducted from salaries is why a lot American citizens do not support illegal immigration. People here that work legally have to pay taxes into the system to keep it moving. It's not our choice. But we have to do it. :ranting:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

In response to the previous post about illegals not paying taxes, I agree that it's wrong. However, I do believe in giving chances at opportunities. Don't be discourage about the income tax. The problem with the US government is the strict immigration guidelines, and time to process application for entry VISAs. I understand the situation with illegals, atleast, for those who wants a chance here in the US.

Hmm...As far as regarding the situation, I think it's best if you try the petitioning system like everyone else here. File for a K1 or K3. The waiting is under a year for the process to be approved. I recommend it. Although, he has to get back to Mexico for you to file the application.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

I think you should consult with an attorney that is more knowledgable in the immigration field, with respect to obtaining legal status through marriage. The one you described didn't seem to be 100% in the loop. I read (somewhere here on VJ), that marriage to a USC forgives the illegal status, just takes longer to go through the process. A friend of a friend went through the same situation as you, and is now a permanent resident (with 10yr green card). So its do-able, you just need the right attorney.

12140.gif

Filed: Timeline

I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions for me. I was born and raised in this country. My husband came here (United States) illegally from Mexico in 2000. Since being here, he has always had a job of some sort...landscaping, irrigation, restaurant work, things like that. More recently he has worked in car dealerships and the hospital as a bilingual medical interpreter. His English is excellent, and he has always been very well respected in every job he has had here.

We've been married over a year and a half now. We got married in July '05. We both knew that getting married wouldn't make him an instant citizen like people often believe. In September of '05 we met with an immigration lawyer to talk about getting him legalized in this country. The lawyer was helpful, but the whole process sounded confusing and he didn't seem real optimistic about my husband's chances towards legalization in this country. Due to the financial issues involved, we didn't even start the paperwork because we didn't have enough money at the time. Now we are wanting to get back into the process again. I get scared everytime he applies for a new job because I'm afraid that his status will be discovered. A few weeks ago, the car company he was working for got shut down and everyone was laid off. He started putting in applications for employment everywhere, and honestly it was a nerve-wracking experience, because there was always constant worries about his status. He took a part job temporarily at a different car dealership, and they discovered his illegal status. Fortunately, the manager really liked him and offered to pay him cash instead of by check and said he would not disclose anything about my husband's status in this country. My husband wound up taking a full time job at the hospital (what he wanted originally anyway), but he also left the dealership partly out of fear.

I guess I really have several questions and I wanted to hear from anyone who has experience with this situation. Where do we start this process? I've tried researching this on the internet and I get really confused trying to understand all the different forms that have to be filled out and what the different forms mean. And just in personal opinion, what are his chances of getting legalized here? Also, are there any bills or anything going through the government now that are in favor of legalizing illegal immigrants? I know at one point last year there was talk of a possible bill from the President that would help legalize immigrants already living here for a certain number of years. Is there anything like that happening again?

I know I've thrown a lot of information and questions in here, but I would really appreciate any information that anyone could suggest. Like I said, he and I both live in fear because of his status. It's one of my worst fears that one day I'm going to get a call that my husband has been deported. Also, he really misses his family. He hasn't seen them since the day he left Mexico and it tears him up to not have seen them for so long, yet he is determined to live in this country. I've never even met my husband's side of the family because they were not able to come for our wedding and we obviously can't go there. I really want my husband to be able to live freely in this country without fear and to be able to go to Mexico to see his family without fear of not being able to get back in this country.

Angela, everyone on this site is painstakingly waiting for a loved one to come to this country in a legal fashion. I sympathize with your situation but I don't think that your husband should be given preferential treatment just because he was able to violate/break the law and get here illegally. I'm sure everyone on here would love to bring their fiance right away but decided that the country that we live in, and the country and citizenship that is so sought after around the world, has laws that should be followed. You mentioned several times in your letter about how he and others have allowed him to keep violating the law by working and staying here. Does he have a SS#? What does he write on his I-9 form? Does he realize that any company that hires him and gets caught employing him can suffer heavy fines and penalities? Even if they don't know that he is illegal! If I was in your shoes, I would have him go back to Mexico and start the process of getting here legally like the rest of the people on here. I don't feel that you should get a free pass because he has been able to avoid the laws of the country for several years. None of us have anything against immigrants or we wouldn't be on this page but we are choosing to do it in a way that respects and honors the laws of this country. I think you might be "barking up the wrong tree" in asking us how to bypass laws that the rest of us are having to abide by as painful as it is. I think it's about time that you did the right thing and go through the due process. You might find out that it's enjoyable and more rewarding instead of having to look over your shoulder and live in fear that he might get caught. What if he stays here, you have children, and then he gets caught and deported. How would that affect the kids. And what example would that set for the kids. I can feel for you also in the fact that my fiance was turned down for a student visa because she comes from a poor family in a third world country and had no bank account in her home country. Even though the Statue of Liberty says, "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..." Now that I might have sounded a little mean, you can contact your congressman/woman and talk to them. They all have immigration people working for them that might be able to give you assistance. Good luck but I'm not sure you will ever be calm and relaxed unless you do it the way we are doing it. Besides, it only takes 6-8 months! :-) Good luck to you. Love is tough sometimes. Ken

Besides, it only takes 6-8 months! :-) Good luck to you. Love is tough sometimes. Ken

Oh, I think the process from illegal to legal status takes much much longer than 6-8 months. The 6-8 month estimate is for those going down the "follow the rules" path. The friend of a friend that I mentioned who got the legal status without leaving the US for the ban period, paid about $30,000 in legal fees and it took about 3+ years. There is no reward for breaking the rules, that's for sure.

I'm not sure how your husband was able to get all those jobs without them checking his legal status. I'm especially amazed at the hospital job. I believe effective mid 2007 they are going to be checking your immigration status at the DMV. So when they go to renew an ID or drivers license, those that aren't "in status" will be reported to DHS and issued deportation notices. Better get started on your process, the sooner the better.

12140.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

How did he get into the country in 2000? Did he just walk across the border without any sort of proof that he entered?

At the least, he's going to have to go back to Mexico and then you two can begin the K3 process. That will go according to the average time schedule here only IF evidence of his past illegal presence isn't documented (and to disclaim: I'm not saying he should hide it, I'm not commenting on the illegal time in the country either way, just laying out the reality of the situation from what you've presented in the original post).

With evidence of his illegal presence - well, I don't know how long the road will be or how realistic your chances are for a happy resolution.

Best suggestion: find a legal aid attorney who can help you - there are ample resources available even if you don't have the money to pay for a private attorney.

Good luck.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline

As others have said, you really need to consult with an immigration attorney about your situation again, one who can clearly explain your options to you. You also may want to have at look at www.immigrate2us.net , which has forums dedicated to the more complicated aspects of immigration, like waivers and removal proceedings. This Visa Journey site is wonderful for basic information, but a little lacking when it comes to some of the more complicated stuff (I love it here, though :) ).

Angela, you may get some flak for posting here. Most of us are under stress from going about the immigration process the legal way, with i's dotted and t's crossed. We can get angry with people not following the same rules we had to follow. However, I can't imagine the stress you must be under not knowing if or when your husband will be found out and ripped away from you via deportation. I know there are countless like you who live with the same fear everyday. I couldn't do it. So I really hope you find legal aid ASAP and can start figuring out how to get your husband legal status.

Good luck.

***I-130***

2006-10-11 I-130 NOA1

2007-02-05 approved

***I-129F***

2006-10-23 I-129F NOA1

2007-02-05 approved

2007-04-30 Interview--Visa Approved!

2007-05-07 Gary arrives in US

208 days from filing to interview

****EAD****

2007-05-15 Sent to Chicago

2007-05-22 NOA1

2007-06-12 Biometrics

2007-09-07 approved! (115 loooooong days)

2007-09-17 card received in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The process to get your husband legalized in this country may be overwhelming but is the only choice you have. The good thing is that you're a US citizen and that you've been married a while. Go through the process like everyone else, maybe consult a "good" immigration lawyer for some pointers before you file, but you can do it all yourself. I've known MANY people in your situation, including my own family who went through the same process and are already US citizens.

Don't let anything or anyone scare you with their comments. Just pray that everything will be ok and do it. If it costs some money, you gotta get it somehow because it's best to spend a few extra bucks NOW than have immigration send him back to Mexico for life. Then what will you do then?

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for your comments/suggetions. Someone made a comment about how this site is for people who are trying to get here LEGALLY. By all means, I understand that. I'm not asking that my husband receive special treatment or that he should have bypassed the system to begin with or that he should get to bypass the system now. Trust me, he wishes that he would have done it the legal way as well. He is not proud of how he got here. That's why we are looking to do this the right way now. You can't change mistakes in the past, you can only learn from them. And that's what he's trying to do and I'm trying to help him with.

I'm not saying I support illegal immigration (although I suppose people could say I am, since I married an illegal immigrant). First, I want to say that I married him because I fell in love with him. I love him for who he is...mistakes and all. No one's past is perfect, no matter how big or small their past mistakes are. Second, I don't agree with illegal immigration. People should go through the legal means to get here. That's why there are laws in place, especially in this post-9/11 world. What I do support is people wanting to come here to have a better life. I see why people will do anything to come here--even break the law. The places some of these illegal immigrants are coming from are so bad, they are willing to break the law to get out of it and to work for something better. I don't support illegal immigration--all I'm saying is that I understand why it happens.

I'm came to this site because I was looking for information. I thought I would be able to hear from people who have illegal spouses as well. I guess I was wrong. I came to this site looking for support on how to begin this process, not for mine and my husband's current sitution--I was providing background as to what has gone on. Thanks to everyone for the advice on where to begin--my husband and I really appreciate it. If I have offended anyone by making it seem like I'm trying to get "special treatment" or help him bypass the system, I'm sorry. That was never my intent. We will be going through the same process as everyone else on here, and hopefully it will work out that he gets to become legal here. That's our dream.

I want to wish everyone the very best in being able to bring their fiances, spouses, children, family members, etc here. This is a long, hard process and I know that it's the dream of everyone on here as well to be able to legally bring their loved ones here.

Thanks for your comments/suggetions. Someone made a comment about how this site is for people who are trying to get here LEGALLY. By all means, I understand that. I'm not asking that my husband receive special treatment or that he should have bypassed the system to begin with or that he should get to bypass the system now. Trust me, he wishes that he would have done it the legal way as well. He is not proud of how he got here. That's why we are looking to do this the right way now. You can't change mistakes in the past, you can only learn from them. And that's what he's trying to do and I'm trying to help him with.

I'm not saying I support illegal immigration (although I suppose people could say I am, since I married an illegal immigrant). First, I want to say that I married him because I fell in love with him. I love him for who he is...mistakes and all. No one's past is perfect, no matter how big or small their past mistakes are. Second, I don't agree with illegal immigration. People should go through the legal means to get here. That's why there are laws in place, especially in this post-9/11 world. What I do support is people wanting to come here to have a better life. I see why people will do anything to come here--even break the law. The places some of these illegal immigrants are coming from are so bad, they are willing to break the law to get out of it and to work for something better. I don't support illegal immigration--all I'm saying is that I understand why it happens.

I'm came to this site because I was looking for information. I thought I would be able to hear from people who have illegal spouses as well. I guess I was wrong. I came to this site looking for support on how to begin this process, not for mine and my husband's current sitution--I was providing background as to what has gone on. Thanks to everyone for the advice on where to begin--my husband and I really appreciate it. If I have offended anyone by making it seem like I'm trying to get "special treatment" or help him bypass the system, I'm sorry. That was never my intent. We will be going through the same process as everyone else on here, and hopefully it will work out that he gets to become legal here. That's our dream.

I want to wish everyone the very best in being able to bring their fiances, spouses, children, family members, etc here. This is a long, hard process and I know that it's the dream of everyone on here as well to be able to legally bring their loved ones here.

There are many many families in this country in your situation. You should be able to file without him leaving the country. In fact immigration lawyers willa ctually advice against leaving because getting back in is more diifcult. The process may take longer than those who married without losing status, but you can get it done. Do you have a Catholic Charities in your area? They often have a immigration aide working to help immigrants do all kinds of things.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It will be a while for your husband to get his green card in his hands, but before that, he will be able to get his SSN and work permit. Don't worry about his past or what he should've done or not done, it's gone, it's over. Start anew, fill out his paperwork and you'll see that it's not as hard as it seems to be.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

When you say he came here illegally, I assume you mean that he entered without inspection. If that is the case you have a battle. If he entered and was inspected you still have a mountain of paper work. However the second scenario happens all the time.

Get the old tourist visa to go see "Disneyworld" and never return. Then hook up with a gringo or gringa and you are in like Flynn. Happens daily. Not saying it is right or wrong.

Swim the Rio Grande and take longer than one year to find your soul mate and you are looking at a ten year ban. A waiver will need to be filed. Complicated and not cheap.

Good Luck,

T

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.